Alternator

General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
Merkur Club web site
fragglejack

Alternator

Post by fragglejack »

I'm not running AC or power steering on my XR, what are my bracket options for the alternator?

I'd prefer to keep it on the same side away from the exhaust but lower down if possible.

Craig.
merkurdriver
Level 8

Re: Alternator

Post by merkurdriver »

Find an old Pinto 2.3 bracket. It will keep the alt on the intake side but it will put the alt lower about 6"
Thats a bolt on solution but it might be pretty tough to find 2.3 Pinto parts these days...
fragglejack

Post by fragglejack »

Thanks Mike
fragglejack

Post by fragglejack »

Been searching the net and found a boat built by omc cobra, using a 2.3 lima engine.
The alternator bracket is very similar to the Pinto but only has a 2" ear, so the standard alternator won't fit.

Anyone know of an alternator that would fit this size bracket?

I might just use the lower bracket as a turnbuckle mount and keep the original one up top.