New to the Merkur world help needed

General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
Merkur Club web site
Turkeytop

New to the Merkur world help needed

Post by Turkeytop »

I am new to the Merkur after I bought a 1988 auto xr4ti. I am kinda needing ideas and help finding what to do about rear brakes and where I can find the pedal box for a manual. I am looking forward to putting the car back together since it was torn apart and just kinda forgot about I believe. Any information will be helpful or any direction would be helpful.
2015 Mustang 2.3 ecoboost
1993 Ford ranger 3.0
1988 Merkur XR4ti auto
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Re: New to the Merkur world help needed

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

Since the auto has taller rear end gears, and it sounds like you want a manual anyway, maybe find a 5 speed car and use the auto as a parts car. Someone one here may sell you a car, possibly with a t5 already in it.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

www.merkurdepot.com

Front and rear brake kits, used manual pedal box etc. etc.
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

I think the auto rear end is a good deal for an XR4Ti. As new/stock, with a stock turbo and no intercooler etc., the shorter 5-speed ratios make sense. But the minute you start updating the car, I think you'll want the taller gears assuming you use the common SVO/TC T5 transmission. Maybe with a converted V8 or later V6 transmission the shorter rear end makes sense... that I don't know. My '86 with Merkurdepot intercooler, and a T3/T4 hybrid turns the auto diff & TC T5 easily and it's a pleasure to drive. 1st is still a bit short, but 2/3/4 are very strong despite the wack ratio progression.
Bob Weir
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Bob Weir »

Turkeytop

Welcome, You're now infected with merkuritis...

MCA - FREE 1 yr membership
http://forum.merkurclub.com/forum/viewt ... 19&t=30034

Bob
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

I think the auto rear end is a good deal for an XR4Ti, if and only if, you are making a straight line machine and you are hitting the rev limiter just before you reach the timing lights, but cannot go to a larger rear tire for whatever reason. Deeper gears will always make you accelerate faster if you can get traction. I'd run 5.83 gears with a dual clutch 8 speed if I could. But guess I will stick with stock gears and T9.
Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop »

Well I just want to get it on back on the road but I recently trashed the c3 because I did not know the waste-gate was stuck close......double face palm on my part for not checking since I am a Ford tech. I was to excited to find out it ran and drove besides I am getting a good deal on a bell-housing and turbo coupe transmission. But who in the world engineered the electrics for these cars I have never seen wiring short to power before....and use the lights as its own little play toy but cant complain much rather have wiring issues than module or rust issues. I cant wait until the brakes trans and waste-gate is sorted thinking about pulling the dash harness out and fixing it.
1993 Ford ranger 3.0
1988 Merkur XR4ti auto
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

Upgraded replacement wastegate actuator if you need one:

www.merkurdepot.com
Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop »

Has anyone with one of these cars seem like it wants to live and the more you drive it around the more stuff starts working......Slightly amused by this little car that I have only put 10 miles since i bought it. She already has quite the personality I think one day it will make my ecoboost track pack pony look slow. I really want to drive another one but I am the only one that I know of in my area to even have one. One more day one more problem solved oh yeah!
1993 Ford ranger 3.0
1988 Merkur XR4ti auto
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Bob Weir wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:31 pm
Welcome, You're now infected with merkuritis...
Yep.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

"......double face palm on my part for not checking since I am a Ford tech...I have never seen wiring short to power before....and use the lights as its own little play toy..."
You may be referring to the status lights in the upper console; with key On, thrre is always power to that module but it commonly has dry solder issues that result in it suddenly turning all lights on and then off (means all is well).

Relax. :D

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop »

No my lights never come on because the power wires for both the high beams and low beams are currently shorted together so in a since they are always on when i turn the lights on. But the lights are not working everything but some side markers (bulbs are out) and the head lights. Just got to trace the wires back to fine the short to the low/high beam circuits and it should go fine. I am a little worried it might be at the battery junction box
since that is where those wires begin i will have to test more when I have a tool grabber (my brother). I keep forgetting to bring my wiring diagrams home to look at them....this is what happens when you bring a toy to work lol. If only I had a garage. But other than the whole leaky not shifty nasty c3, the engine runs fine and doesn't leak anything besides from the turbo oil drain-back tube, but ill fix that when I rebuild and fix the turbo and the stuck wast-gate, and the waste-gate actuator. I think getting the turbo off will be more of a job than fixing some wiring. However the Merkur continues to live on as it is in piece but running and driving. Also a side note who in the world removes all the internals from one side of the rear drums after the wheel cylinder is leaking.....I changed my tired and checked the brakes pulled the rear drum off nothing inside but dust and a leaky wheel cylinder..... no hardware and i forgot the parking brake cable was in there to....just why lol. Does anyone run a/c on their cars. Mine is missing and trying to debate if its worth it or not....but I am leaning towards no.
1993 Ford ranger 3.0
1988 Merkur XR4ti auto
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Turkeytop wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:02 pm Does anyone run a/c on their cars. Mine is missing and trying to debate if its worth it or not....but I am leaning towards no.
LOL
I don't even run heat.
Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop »

I might not run heat either since I do not plan on driving during the winter or rain. What is everyone running for intercoolers and where do you normally
stash them. Curious since i just had my bumper off fixing some of the lower inner body work that holds the bumpers look.
1993 Ford ranger 3.0
1988 Merkur XR4ti auto
DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAReese »

I'd put some relays in for the headlights while you're working on the wiring. Takes the stress off the switch.

I'd never drive mine if the A/C didn't work. In fact, I fixed the A/C in my Scorpio before it was even on the road. Two years later, I've got A/C and a Scorpio almost ready to drive. Just need three good vent motors while it is easy to get to them before it gets put back together.

But back to the XR. I don't use the A/C all of the time, but it does make it a much more comfortable drive. Now if it wasn't so loud....
David Reese

88 XR4Ti - mono white T5, someday to be bi wing
89 Scorpio - waiting on some parts before it hits the road again
88 XR4Ti - mono red C3, parts car
used to own 86 dark blue traded in on a min van, what was I thinking?