New Owner in Wisconsin

General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
Merkur Club web site
b2bomber

New Owner in Wisconsin

Post by b2bomber »

It is nice to see a relatively active forum, for a fairly odd car. I have done a lot of lurking from this forum and have absorbed a good deal of information, so thank you. Recently, I have been given a 1986 Merkur XR4TI as a project car. It is really rough and needs a lot of help, so I will be hanging around for some time. It appears that some of the main contacts for parts are pretty active, but MC2 and John V are not. Appreciate all the help ahead of time.

Thanks,
Alex
1986 Merkur XR4TI project..
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 12v, 5speed, 4x4, OBA, Winch, DIY flatbed+bumpers, Raptor lined, and some Carli bits.
2012 Kia Optima SX
2010 Honda CRV
Bob Weir
Level 7
Level 7

Re: New Owner in Wisconsin

Post by Bob Weir »

Welcome to the club.
Parts: 30+ years of experience providing the correct parts and information.
Russ Harness of RapidoGroup.com (541) 544-3333
Jeff Herson of MerkurMidwest.com (847) 688-1234
Mike Oyler of MerkurDepot.com (330) 687-6498
Shannon Gustafson of Stinger-Performance.com

And a gaggle of members who probably have what you need. You just have to bargain with them to have them part with their prized possessions.

Bob
b2bomber

Post by b2bomber »

Thanks for the contacts. I had all of them except Mike Oyler.
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 12v, 5speed, 4x4, OBA, Winch, DIY flatbed+bumpers, Raptor lined, and some Carli bits.
2012 Kia Optima SX
2010 Honda CRV
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

b2bomber wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:06 pm It is nice to see a relatively active forum, for a fairly odd car. I have done a lot of lurking from this forum and have absorbed a good deal of information, so thank you. Recently, I have been given a 1986 Merkur XR4TI as a project car. It is really rough and needs a lot of help, so I will be hanging around for some time. It appears that some of the main contacts for parts are pretty active, but MC2 and John V are not. Appreciate all the help ahead of time.

Thanks,
Alex
You got the car for free? I guess you did pretty good. I see a lot of projects (not just Merkurs) die on the vine. So my advice would be to get it into drivable condition first and see how fun it is. Who cares what it looks like or if this or that works. You may end up finding a really nice example that only needs a few things. Then the rough car could always become a parts car some day if needed. Time to start a build thread and post some pics.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
b2bomber

Post by b2bomber »

Yes, I got the car for free. Long story short, my buddy had this car up until the day he unexpectedly passed away in his 20's. That was roughly 10 years ago. The car has been in storage for 10 years. His brother contacted me asking if I wanted the car and I said I would take it on as a project.

Unfortunately, I will not post a build thread until it is done. I did this same method with my project truck in my sig, because I spend a good amount of time researching forums and build threads all to find out the build stops in some fashion. This car in theory, should be scrap. Since my buddy likes to mod and use weight reduction techniques, I do not have to worry about purists during the build. I have an 5.3 LS waiting amongst other things. My number 1 concern is the diff. I need either a Supra kit from JVAB or Anembo. If someone had a 8.8 kit, that would be nice also.
2012 Kia Optima SX
2010 Honda CRV