So does anyone have any Chevy/GM buddies?

General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
Merkur Club web site
EVIL_XR4
Level 7
Level 7

So does anyone have any Chevy/GM buddies?

Post by EVIL_XR4 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:41 pm

I have a buddy who's a bowtie head, he's got an S10 with a warmed over 350 in it. It's a pretty healthy truck for what it is, and if he'd drive it for what it's worth it would probably run 12.50s in the 1/4 but he babies it and runs 13.30s on slicks. He's always talkin trash to me about my Mustang because i've only managed a very traction limited 14.20 on street tires. Well the other day he started his routine so i called him out and said that by summer i'll be running 13.30s or better in the Merkur. He got REAL worked up lol. He's one of those old school guys who just can't accept the fact that 4 cylinders and a turbo can just about make up for the "no replacement for displacement" concept. I really don't care if i ever get it down that fast but it sure is a riot pushing his buttons.

deathbypsi
Level 3
Level 3

Post by deathbypsi » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:36 pm

Let me add my .02 here.

I used to have a 87 Ranger that had the very same motor and trans in it that is in my Merk now.On a stock t3 at 22psi it ran 13.00's at 103mph,on a 75 shot of nitrous it went 12.50's at 111mph granny shifting it. Now when I was ready to drop that same motor in my Merk I had BIG expectation for it.I sold the t3 and put an extra Precision Turbo SC50 on it I had and thought I would run bottom 13's on stock tires with less boost.....dip in the 12's with a good tire.

Well now summer is gone and I went to the track twice with the Merk and boy was I let down.These cars are not drag cars at all.They are most definitely not Mustangs when it comes to modding them and drag racing them!! I think as long as you have a stock rear with an open diff you aint gonna run anywhere near what you think it will.The more power you crank out of that motor the worst its gonna be when you try and launch it against somebody.Sure you can add some sticky tires to help hook....I have seen it done a few times,and I stress A FEW TIMES.The stock rear with a good tire is a time bomb at best.I have seen the bomb go off also.

My car ended up running only a best of a 14.60 but ran just over 102mph with 4psi less than I did in my Ranger with the T3.Spin,spin and more spin aint gonna get it done. I would caution against calling out a quicker vehicle until you can back your own numbers up.I had everyone on my local board believing they were gonna see a 12 second pass by my car by summers end.......open mouth,insert foot.
Brian R.
86 SVO

EVIL_XR4
Level 7
Level 7

Post by EVIL_XR4 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:49 pm

Yeah i see where you're coming from.... a solid axle makes all the difference.

I don't know about foot in the mouth though. When it really comes down to it i could probably run 13.30s all day in the Mustang if i put it on slicks. His truck is quick for a truck but there's a whole army of local Mustangs and other random Fords who will put the hurt on him in my defense...lol.

milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:03 pm

Also adjust rear camber to about .5-1° positive(you'll have to come up with a way to do this as it is not adjustable from the factory) when sitting still. The rear ends on these cars like to squat(more negative camber) under hard acceleration.
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now project car
1 14 black Fiesta SE aka Fiona- my new DD

DCLXVI

Maurice S
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Maurice S » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:50 pm

I'm the black sheep of an orange blooded brood...

I did'nt get any respect until I got the Merk...They were all standing around mesmerized by it like the monkeys in "2001 A Space Odessey"...My old man in his Spanish accent just said "Twoooooo-rrbow" and looked at me like I was Neil Armstrong he was so proud of my command of high technology lol...then patted me on the back and cajoled the keys out of my hands...smacked the bow tie brothers away from the car...lowered the hood...stating that only HE was worthy of driving it...I then went into a diatribe about how you need to warm it up blah blah..while he was backing it up....he responded...dont worr-ee Morr-eese...dont worr-ee....then straightened out and winked at me while proceeding to lay a bigger patch than I would ever do in my "T-9 is fragile" state of religious fervor...tap the rev limiter and spin second gear...correcting the tail out so as to not fly into a neighbors house...Not see him for about 45 mins...I just went into the house and drank...on his return it smelled like a big rig having reached Denver in a hurry from the tunnel...brakes smoking...ALL FANS blasting away....A week later he bought a F-150....and all was right with the world...I had redeemed myself....
85 XR '" Lightly Street Massaged"

mtnXRti
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mtnXRti » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:03 pm

Maurice S wrote:on his return it smelled like a big rig having reached Denver in a hurry from the tunnel...brakes smoking...
Great description!!!!!

Someone would be hurt'n if they treated anything of mine like that.... I don't care how big they are or how big there pocket book is...That or the next time I got a hold of the keys to their car... it would be on! :thumb
'87 XR Street Ninja
'89 XJ Urban Krawler

Aaron
Longmont, CO

deathbypsi
Level 3
Level 3

Post by deathbypsi » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:45 pm

milehighXR wrote:Also adjust rear camber to about .5-1° positive(you'll have to come up with a way to do this as it is not adjustable from the factory) when sitting still. The rear ends on these cars like to squat(more negative camber) under hard acceleration.
Oh you mean like this?
http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/743/10911/204738.jpg
I think this pass was a 2.40 60ft :x
Brian R.
86 SVO

MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:36 pm

I've had friends who've doubted a turbo 4, just because of the "4" aspect of it. They've always shut up and given respect after giving them an opportunity at riding shot gun. 8)
3" mandrel bent exhaust, Ported/Polished head, 1.89/1.57 valves, Gutted uppper/Knife edge lower intake, T3/T4, LA3, Big VAM, Cold air intake, 40bob header, Gillis valve, Forge BOV, Mustang SVO T5, Conquest intercooler, 20psi.

86XR4Ti_John
Level 5
Level 5

Post by 86XR4Ti_John » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:43 pm

yep, I hear ya all.

While the XR isn't gonna go beating too many V8's right now, my Talon made believers out of a few let me tell ya ;)

2 measly liters, small turbo(stock mitsu), 266,000 km, stock from valve cover to oil pan and belts to rear main, crappy tires, 3200 lbs, pump gas and no nitrous, mitsu manifolds(both sides), Mitsu ECU, nothing fancy.

One buddy has a Safari van, older one(lighter) with a 60over 350, ported heads, cam, intake, spacer, headers, 3" with flowmasters, and some other goodies, Corvette 700r4, 373 Eaton posi and big Michelins. We raced and I gave him 1.5-2 cars, bogged the launch badly and was passing him half way thru second! That shut THAT up and it was on video.

Other dude, 74 Cutlass with a 10.25:1 68 Olds 455, 4bbl, dual exhaust and fancy fuel of some sort, 3.32 Eaton posi rear end. We "did the drive each others cars with the other guy in it" thing. He stopped his chirping too ;)

Niether of them would go to the track, but as the car was then, it went 12.90 at 107. Since then I have taken 150lbs out of it, added a custom built ball bearing turbo that is way bigger, and a set of real nice cams. New intercooler going in as we speak(bar and plate and lots bigger) and I am building a real nice ported head with stainless valves etc. Oh and a Forge BOV so I can run more boost.

Its STILL a paradigm that lots of the big engine boys just don't quite get yet. These are just 2 of many stories.

I know its not a Ford, but the concept its the same.
John

86 Xr, lowered, cossie rear sway bar, wheels, intercooled, big vam, PE superchip.
91 Talon TSi, well modified, 5spd all wheel drive, runs 11's.

EVIL_XR4
Level 7
Level 7

Post by EVIL_XR4 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:58 pm

The magic is in the turbo if you ask me. You can easily make over 400hp with a bone stock 5.0 and a junkyard DIY turbo setup. I have a friend who's Mustang was running 10.20s with a bone stock Explorer 302 and a turbo. I don't completely agree with that saying "no replacement for displacement" because forced induction and nitrous sure do a good job of evening the odds.