Let's set a Merkur World Record (seriously)

General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
Merkur Club web site
MerkurScorpio
Level 5
Level 5

Let's set a Merkur World Record (seriously)

Post by MerkurScorpio »

I was just checking out the Guinness World Records site, and there are currently records in the following categories:

-Largest Parade of BMW Cars
-Largest Parade of Ferrari Cars
-Largest Parade of Fiat Cars
-Largest Parade of Mazda CarS

So why not a record for Largest Parade of Merkur Cars? If anyone remember the infamous "Merkur Mile" that used to be held annually as part of Carlisle weekend, there is no doubt we could get a long string of Merks together to tour a nearby road.

It's a crazy idea, I know. But I think we're all just nuts enough to try it. I will look into submitting an application if some folks can volunteer to help organize the parade for next year.

So who's in?
-Paul-Michael Van Hook, Northeastern PA
'89 Merkur Scorpio "HookSport"

Paul-Aaron Zachary Van Hook is one year old! Born 11/4/2009!

My Facebook page
MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo »

That there is a record that could not possibly be broken without us! :twisted:
3" mandrel bent exhaust, Ported/Polished head, 1.89/1.57 valves, Gutted uppper/Knife edge lower intake, T3/T4, LA3, Big VAM, Cold air intake, 40bob header, Gillis valve, Forge BOV, Mustang SVO T5, Conquest intercooler, 20psi.
Rotisserie
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Rotisserie »

if you plan a couple of carisles ahead to give half of us time to get our acts toghether (much less our cars,lol), then this should be simple enough to make happen.
CV12Steve
Level 7
Level 7

Post by CV12Steve »

Rotisserie wrote:if you plan a couple of carisles ahead to give half of us time to get our acts toghether (much less our cars,lol), then this should be simple enough to make happen.
Uh, how about 2010?
Stephen
Rotisserie
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Rotisserie »

lol, heard ya the first time. :wink:
CV12Steve
Level 7
Level 7

Post by CV12Steve »

Don't know how that happened! Any way to delete a post?
Stephen
MarkM
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MarkM »

CV12Steve wrote:Don't know how that happened! Any way to delete a post?
Yep.
Mark
MerkurScorpio
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MerkurScorpio »

Honestly, I think we can do this in 2009. It would make particular sense since it will mark the 20th anniversary of the end of the Merkur line.

Of course, it's definitely a good idea to have a back up plan for 2010 if we can't get this thing together for 2009.

I can't provide any detail, but I am already working professionally with Guinness on another project, so I know the rules for attempting world records pretty much inside and out. Setting this record is definitely feasible, and 10 months should be more than enough time to get everyone on board.

Granted, this will all depend on a good turnout for Carlisle 2009, and people actually being where they need to be on time to make it happen.

My Facebook page
CV12Steve
Level 7
Level 7

Post by CV12Steve »

Why not mark the 25th anniversary of the founding of the marque?
Hopefully that will also be a record attendance year.
Stephen
xr4man
Level 6
Level 6

Post by xr4man »

see my post over on merkursport.
ian the re-animator
MerkurScorpio
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MerkurScorpio »

Considering 2010 will indeed be the 25th anniversary (something that, for some reason, did not occur to me), I think that would be the better choice for getting this thing together.

So let's shoot for 2010, but start planning now. We could very well make this one of the highlight events for the 25th anniversary.

My Facebook page
MerlinMerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerlinMerkur »

Well we dont need a 25th anniversary to set a record, and pretty much no one cares about the Merks 25th anyway, so lets just do it lol.
Im in for 2009, or 2014 whatever, just saying dont let an idea like that get "committeed" out! We already know theres no way anyone can beat it, cause it'd be us breaking it anyway lol. We'd have a record monopoly.
You PA guys should try and get the wifes to drive Merk #2.. etc etc.. #3.. do it big once you know.
~Travis
87.5 Mono XR- LA3, FMIC, Adj Cam, Gillis, CAI/Cone, +15% rates - Koni adj, Coss frnt/rr sways, rr brc., Ported manis, 3" DP w/dualz, PBRs, rear disks and enough gadjets and switches to make Batman jealous! And more comin! Speak up.
MerkurScorpio
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MerkurScorpio »

Merlin, you are absolutely right. What I am thinking is we can use 2009 as something of a practice attempt. If we do actually make a record while we're at it, all the better! Then when the 25th anniversary comes around, which I would expect to have a high draw similar to the 20th anniversary did, we will have already identified any problem areas.

So let's do it both in 2009 AND 2010!

My Facebook page
Slinky
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Slinky »

MerlinMerkur wrote:Well we dont need a 25th anniversary to set a record, and pretty much no one cares about the Merks 25th anyway, so lets just do it lol.
I do not think this statement is true. According to the I-70 convoy, for the XR 20th in 2005 there was 64 cars in the convoy alone. Usually amounts are reported to be around 30.
-Will
MerlinMerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerlinMerkur »

Slinky wrote:
MerlinMerkur wrote:Well we dont need a 25th anniversary to set a record, and pretty much no one cares about the Merks 25th anyway, so lets just do it lol.
I do not think this statement is true. According to the I-70 convoy, for the XR 20th in 2005 there was 64 cars in the convoy alone. Usually amounts are reported to be around 30.
That wasnt to say we wouldnt have more people there for the 25th anniv than next year, but to say that both times it would be "us", we'd only be breaking "our" own record, further sealing the deal. The "no one cares" also doesnt represent that we dont, that Merker owners wont, but the ideal of a broken record, those reading the books wont care that it was also our 25th anniversary.
~Travis
87.5 Mono XR- LA3, FMIC, Adj Cam, Gillis, CAI/Cone, +15% rates - Koni adj, Coss frnt/rr sways, rr brc., Ported manis, 3" DP w/dualz, PBRs, rear disks and enough gadjets and switches to make Batman jealous! And more comin! Speak up.