Merkurs eligible for "Cash for Clunkers"?

General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Merkurs eligible for "Cash for Clunkers"?

Post by DPDISXR4Ti » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:13 pm

Depending on how the 18 MPG maximum is determined, Merkurs are going to be right on the borderline for this program. If it's simply a matter of taking the EPA City and Highway numbers and avergaing them, the Automatic cars (both XR and Scorpio) would be rated at 18 MPG and be included; the 5-speed cars would be rated at 18.5 (Scorpio) and 20.5 (XR4Ti), and be excluded.

But will they even go so far as to differentiate between manual and automatic transmission cars? Bear in mind, the cars have to be registered continuously for the past year to be eligible. As a result, this program could pull perfectly functional cars OFF the road - I guess that's the goal. :roll:

Details as they un-fold, but let's hope they don't un-fold the wrong way or a bunch of good cars are going to get crushed. :x
Brad

TommyT
Level 2
Level 2

Post by TommyT » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:53 pm

The info you need can be found at www.cars.gov

I did all of the mileage checkig and it seems that the autos (XR and Scorpios) and only the manual Scorpio will qualify for the rebate. The manual XR is rated at 20 mpg combiined. All the others are at 18 or less.

Tommy
Tommy
Howell, NJ USA

DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:51 pm

TommyT wrote:The info you need can be found at www.cars.gov
Got it. You can go directly here for the "combined fuel mileage" number they're apparently using: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/sbs.htm
It looks like it's a weighted average of the city/highway numbers.

Looks like everything but a 5-speed XR will be eligible. That said, I wonder if they will, in fact, differentiate transmission type when determining eligibility. From an administration standpoint, I have to assume this thing will all be keyed to the VIN. Can the transmission type be determined from just the VIN?
Brad

TommyT
Level 2
Level 2

Post by TommyT » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:17 pm

All good points Brad. I have no idea if it's VIN driven or not. I do know that to qualify, it must be proven that the car in question was/is registered and insured in the buyers name for the previous year. You get $3500 if the mpg improvement is at least 4. $4500 if the improvement is 10 or more.

As far as I can see, it's going to be very difficult to get the $4500 credit unless you're trading a total fuel pig (i.e.-large suv) or are purchasing a hybrid.

It's definitely better than nothing.

Tommy
Tommy
Howell, NJ USA

DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:38 pm

TommyT wrote:You get $3500 if the mpg improvement is at least 4. $4500 if the improvement is 10 or more.

As far as I can see, it's going to be very difficult to get the $4500 credit unless you're trading a total fuel pig (i.e.-large suv) or are purchasing a hybrid.
I'd love to be a VW dealer selling TDI's right about now. This thing will all be self-balancing though. You won't see any pricing incentives on TDI's or Fusion Hybrids, so much of your $4500 (or $3500) credit will get absorbed by the manufacturers and dealers selling the higher mileage vehicles. That's the problem when you try to inject unnatural events into a free marketplace - the marketplace adapts and absorbs the event.
Brad

xr4man
Level 6
Level 6

Post by xr4man » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:41 pm

now, don't you have to willingly turn your car in, or is this a mandatory thing?
ian the re-animator

TommyT
Level 2
Level 2

Post by TommyT » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:18 pm

xr4man wrote:now, don't you have to willingly turn your car in, or is this a mandatory thing?
It' just an incentive for people to trade in that gas guzzling jalopy they're driving. Noone is coming to get our XR's in the middle of the night. :D
Tommy
Howell, NJ USA

DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:58 pm

TommyT wrote:
xr4man wrote:now, don't you have to willingly turn your car in, or is this a mandatory thing?
It' just an incentive for people to trade in that gas guzzling jalopy they're driving. Noone is coming to get our XR's in the middle of the night. :D
Yea, that program doesn't get rolled out until next year! :thumbsdn
Brad

MerkurScorpio
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MerkurScorpio » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:39 pm

This is going to be bad for those Merkurs whose owners are not entirely committed enthusiasts. I'm picturing lots of good running Merks showing up in scrap yards, and that's a real shame.
-Paul-Michael Van Hook, Northeastern PA
'89 Merkur Scorpio "HookSport"

Paul-Aaron Zachary Van Hook is one year old! Born 11/4/2009!

My Facebook page

BeefFajitas
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BeefFajitas » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:50 am

Isn't there an age limit for a turn-in?
-Nate
'85 Merk. Back together. Only thing stock is the head and block.

milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:00 am

1984 any older and it does not qualify. By my estimates no Merkur will qualify, because the autos get a combined of 19 or better I believe. Of course the govt numbers don't jive with mine. I have gotten a personal best of 25.96mpg out of my auto XR on my daily drive to and from work... I would consider it combined driving as i have a lot of lights, and the max speed is only 65mph, in short stretches.

Our whit Scorp has seen about 25mpg, in what I would call combined driving into town and out with lead foot on it...
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now project car
1 14 black Fiesta SE aka Fiona- my new DD

DCLXVI

DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:21 am

milehighXR wrote:By my estimates no Merkur will qualify, because the autos get a combined of 19 or better I believe.
Hello, McFly, is anyone home? Did you not read what I wrote above? Don't believe me - clicky on linky..... :poke
Brad

milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:36 am

I read you right, but it doesn't jive with reality. It doesn't even jive with the window sticker I have for my XR. It says that it should get 18 city, and 24 highway. By that math, it should have an avg of about 22mpg. I think Nancys using some bad numbers to get what she wants. Oh wait all politicos do that :roll:
Johnny

DCLXVI

DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:50 am

milehighXR wrote:I read you right, but it doesn't jive with reality. It doesn't even jive with the window sticker I have for my XR. It says that it should get 18 city, and 24 highway.
You need to visit the site referenced above Johnny. :poke When the EPA re-worked the current MPG calculations a couple years ago, they also re-worked the old EPA numbers to be roughly comparable to the new, effectively rendering your original window sticker null and void. Mind you, they did this with a calculator, not real-world re-testing.

Really, I have no giant issue with that. It's sorta like property tax valuations - it's a relative rather than absolute valuation.

I just think the whole program is stupid. The Federal gov't is now the business of selling cars. Maybe they should hire Crazy Eddie - did he ever get out of jail?
Brad

milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:13 pm

I looked at the link, I just think the whole thing is scam(oh wait so is income taxes :banghead ) I'm just glad that it is only a short program(for now). Hopefully it will be a ginormous failure, and they will shelve any further attempts at eroding my right to the pursuit of life liberty and happiness, that would be the 9th amendment I believe...

I need to fire up an ethanol still so I can drive when they get their precious electric cars mandated :roll:
Johnny

DCLXVI