Sad day

General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
Merkur Club web site
EVIL_XR4
Level 7
Level 7

Post by EVIL_XR4 »

Well here's my new DD. It's a far cry from the Merkur but you can't laugh about 43mpg. This baby goes 0-60 in (no joke) 17 seconds (as tested back in the day by Motor Trend). But, it runs like a sewing machine and it only has 161k on it so it should last me another 100k easy which is just what i need. Hey, at least it's not a Cavalier or Neon right?

1989 Ford Festiva 1.3L four speed baby. And for the record my carbon footprint has just shrank by leaps and bounds and i have just earned a ton of Al Gore points. :roll:

I already miss the boost. Knowing me and my lack of self control, it'll probably get the Mazda twin cam turbo engine swap :lol:
RatFink
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RatFink »

It's cool man, here is my little gas sipper...
38 mpg, turbo too, but it is missing a cylinder. It rounds out my collection. I now have 3,4,5 and 6 cylinder cars :lol:
Daniel Llewellyn

"You can never turn a pig into a race horse, but with enough development you can have a pretty damn fast pig".
Randy Pobst

I just love this guy:
hEaT wrote:Bit more work, but saved me $100 and I got to learn things, cut things, burn things and hammer things. All in all, a solid move.
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

Dave,

That's the kind of car people see on the road and go "heh, what a little piece of slow crap." They say this until gas prices go above X threshold, then they go "man, i wish i could find a car like that! that guy must be a genious."
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com
EVIL_XR4
Level 7
Level 7

Post by EVIL_XR4 »

demonfire wrote:Dave,

That's the kind of car people see on the road and go "heh, what a little piece of slow crap." They say this until gas prices go above X threshold, then they go "man, i wish i could find a car like that! that guy must be a genious."
Exactly...it's all in your perspective. Right now gas isn't THAT expensive, but wait till July rolls around and it's over 3 bucks again.

Found out today that it needs the driver's side wheel bearings replaced :evil:

I hit up the yard this morning and bought some Accent 13's for it. After the wheel bearings i'll have about a grand into it. I've been driving my Cherokee which gets about 15mpg so this thing should pay for itself in 6 months.
gangaskan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gangaskan »

EVIL_XR4 wrote: 1989 Ford Festiva 1.3L four speed baby. And for the record my carbon footprint has just shrank by leaps and bounds and i have just earned a ton of Al Gore points. :roll:

I already miss the boost. Knowing me and my lack of self control, it'll probably get the Mazda twin cam turbo engine swap :lol:

hahah! gotta love al gore :)

my gas sipper just got out of the body shop, and boy does she look beautiful! my dad got a good look at it and said "wow, know wonder why you got a orange mustang, its starting to grow on me!"
SvoSierra
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SvoSierra »

I dunno, I like my carbon footprint from my XR's... It keeps the trees growing with plenty of CO2..... :idea:
XR and Scorpio blower motor rebuilding, LED upgrades, XR lock service
EVIL_XR4
Level 7
Level 7

Post by EVIL_XR4 »

Man i'm fairly sure you could run 10 XR's together for every minute my Mustang is running to equal the carbon footprint that thing puts out. It gets gallons per mile not miles per gallon.
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

Sometimes the smiles per mile are more important than the miles per gallon.
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com