uh...I'm new...

General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
theredone
Level 1
Level 1

uh...I'm new...

Post by theredone » Mon May 03, 2010 11:07 pm

Hello. I'm new the the forum and I just bought an XR4Ti. To the best of my knowlege (I don't have a comma key so imagine that I'm using one here) this is Mr. Straub's old Red Baron. I'm from the Bay Area in California and will be taking delivery of the car on Wednesday. I'm kind of a Ford guy and bought this to replace my SVT Contour. I was pointed to this site by this guy in one of my classes who's supposedly got a few Scorpios.

So yeah... that's me.

merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver » Mon May 03, 2010 11:11 pm

Welcome! I've seen the red baron's red XR4Ti at Carlisle a few years back - very very nice car!

theredone
Level 1
Level 1

Post by theredone » Tue May 04, 2010 11:57 am

I'd really like to go to Calisle (comma) but I think the car still needs to earn my trust before going on any extended trips (comma) also it still only has 34000 miles and driving it all the way...hmmm

Trailering it would be cool if A. I had a tow vehicle and a trailer and B. If it was actually cool to tow a functional car to a show...

Like I said (comma) I'll go pick it up on Wednesday afternoon and I'll do a nice clean up maybe on Sunday... hopefully earlier... I'll post some pictures after I get it all shiny.

So yepp...

IceColdMikey
Level 4
Level 4

Post by IceColdMikey » Tue May 04, 2010 5:24 pm

Welcome.

I assume your comma key is not working, or missing.

Try this little application, and re-map it to some other key that you don't use. You can at least type easier then :)

http://webpages.charter.net/krumsick/
Mike

Firefox
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Firefox » Tue May 04, 2010 5:38 pm

You can also use the character sequence "&#44 ;" without the space (or quotes).

KingpinCEO
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KingpinCEO » Tue May 04, 2010 8:11 pm

welcome

turboxr
Level 5
Level 5

Post by turboxr » Tue May 04, 2010 10:30 pm

I've gone to Carlisle twice in an XR laden down with parts running on nearly bald rear tires, burning a tid bit of oil, leaking pwr steering fluid and she ran all the way with minimal problems and all the way back....twice.

Bring your car.

It needs to be there.

Welcome!

theredone
Level 1
Level 1

Post by theredone » Tue May 04, 2010 11:42 pm

Well less than twelve hours until I take the train to SF to pick it up (I'll be like a kid on Christmas).

Thank you very much for the response...it makes me feel less alone in the world. Also, thank you for the tips on making my computer comma-ready.

If I hadn't been saving for the car and associated expenses I would have a fully functional computer - but you can't really drive a computer so it makes sense to just deal...

That being said, I might just have time tomorrow morning before school for the first wash; If things all go right for me, I'll post some pics tomorrow afternoon

GPz11
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GPz11 » Wed May 05, 2010 8:49 am

Welcome aboard from another new owner!

I've had mine almost 2 weeks and I hope to drive it soon! :D

Picking up an exhaust on Saturday for it. Too loud to drive it daily. Also fixing some of the little things on it.

theredone
Level 1
Level 1

Post by theredone » Thu May 06, 2010 11:22 am

So I got it cleaned up and posted some pics in the pics phorum.

I did some searching and found the posting by Mr. Straub in the classifieds section here and it was explained that it had the following modifications:
1. Intercooler
2. SVO head with roller rocker cam followers
3. GT cam
4. Large VAM
5. SVO processor with Superchip
6. Borla exhaust
7. NOx system(removed by last owner)
8. Rapido suspension with Koni adjustable shocks
9. BBS wheels
10. Centerforce clutch
11. Godfrey rear camber adjusters
12. Rear disc brakes
13. Urethane suspension bushings

It has a bit of a lumpy idle and it does a lot of kangaroo hop while coasting (especially in second). I also found out that it had the distributor replaced because the gear was stripped so I may need to be looking at a new oil pump and the bearings while pan is off...

I'd also like to do something about the wheels... But i think I'd rather have it super reliable than anything else. I'm a bit scared of spacers and long bolts but I can imagine how sweet it'd look with the black svt focus euro appearance wheels from ford racing