New Guy with a new toy

General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
scubba.steve

New Guy with a new toy

Post by scubba.steve » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:39 pm

Hello all, My name is Steven and i live in Knoxville Tenessee.
Last night i aqquired an 88 Xr4ti. Car is complete, running, but needs attention. I will post pic's up asap
Also along with the car came a WHOLE garage full of parts.
2 extra engines, 1 transmission.
Boxes upon boxes of parts i have not even had a chance to go through yet. Luckly i have a buddy who owns a 87 Xr4ti who knows these cars from top to bottom. Which i have voluntered to help me with this project :lol: Glad to be here and hope to find some useful information along the way, as i am tearing mine apart.

Rooster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rooster » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:26 pm

welcome to the site... hope to see pics of the car... any idea what the build date of it is?
-Rooster..
1985 Merkur XR4Ti "New plan"
1986 Merkur XR4Ti Stock, Low miles unmodded will be that way 4ever
1989 Merkur Scorpio white and Tan "Casper" Daily Driven

thebronze
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thebronze » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:58 pm

Welcome...Post pics or it didn't happen :lol:
Kevin
88 VW Cabby...........Starbucks poses by ME
Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid.
-John Wayne

IceColdMikey
Level 4
Level 4

Post by IceColdMikey » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:01 pm

Welcome Steve.

Did you know you just let yourself become addicted? :D

Tons of info here, use the search as well. Most things have been covered in one way or another, but if you can't find what you need, don't hesitate to ask.

Might want to look into Merkursport.com too.

And we need pics!
Mike

merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:16 pm

Welcome...to the Merktel California. :twisted:

86XR4Ti5SPD
Level 3
Level 3

Post by 86XR4Ti5SPD » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:51 pm

Glad you've joined the few, the brave, the Merk'd. And a fellow Tennessean no less (I think that makes two of us on the forum now, unless someone would like to correct me). Look forward to seeing pix and your progress with the car. Good luck.
Ed, Nashville
98 SVT Cobra, 1-owner 33K-mile convertible bought 8/15
86 5-spd, Solid Roof, sold 9/15 with 62K miles
03 SVTF #1965 of 3985, sold 9/15 with 68K miles
http://www.86xr4ti5spd.homestead.com

scubba.steve

Post by scubba.steve » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:33 pm

well ive been an addict for awhile now. My buddy's car is one of the fastest cars i have ever ridden in. And im sure he is on this forum somewhere, i just havent found him yet.
So hers the story of the car that i know of. Its an 88, guy said it had single wing on it with a busted rear glass, he took it off put a new hatch with dual wing, the original motor threw a rod through the block, (Ive not verified this yet but there is a hole in oil pan) So he bought a 2nd motor. 2nd motor turned out the crank was bad. So we move to 3rd motor. 3rd motor ran fine he stated, but went kaput one day while driving to his sons ball game. He did a compression test first 2 cyclinders were good but when he got to cyclinder 3 he said it was 40psi low, he didnt check the 4th. Then he gave up and now i own it. Car starts and runs, but is deffinitly missing and has smoke coming out of exhaust. Drove the car 40miles last night to get it home and it made it here just fine without overheating. There is no water in the oil. My bud seem's to just think its a head gasket cause he said his acted the same way. i will not know until i rip the head off of it.
Car is 100% complete all interior is in good shape, all lights work, speedo and gas gauge do not. Has a cracket windshield and 2 crinkled front fenders. Back half of car has been repainted not a perfect match but pretty close. But anywho as requested.... If no pics it didnt happen lol. Here are a couple pics shot about an hr ago 10pm est

divinez
Level 2
Level 2

Post by divinez » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:32 am

Hey Steven this is me, Zac. Looking forward to getting this thing running like a champ. Just about everything you need to know is on this site and www.merkursport.com.

Strike another up for the tennesseans.
zac.

scubba.steve

Post by scubba.steve » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:44 am

divinez wrote:Hey Steven this is me, Zac. Looking forward to getting this thing running like a champ. Just about everything you need to know is on this site and www.merkursport.com.

U mean just about everything i need is sitting out on my patio making the wife love me even more? lol

divinez
Level 2
Level 2

Post by divinez » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:50 am

scubba.steve wrote:
divinez wrote:Hey Steven this is me, Zac. Looking forward to getting this thing running like a champ. Just about everything you need to know is on this site and www.merkursport.com.

U mean just about everything i need is sitting out on my patio making the wife love me even more? lol
lmao! yea welcome to the world of the merk-head. lol
zac.

scubba.steve

Post by scubba.steve » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:04 am

divinez wrote:
scubba.steve wrote:

lmao! yea welcome to the world of the merk-head. lol
Ive got Tons of parts for you to salvage through

scubba.steve

Post by scubba.steve » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:46 pm

Well today we pulled the head off... Headgasket looked perfectly fine.. I was about to have a paniac attack thinking now im going to have to pull the bottom end apart to see whats wrong with it. Then we flipped the head over to find a burnt exhaust valve on cylinder 3 :D Ive got 2 spare heads!!!! with usable valves in them!! This weekend i will be renting the valve spring compressor and removing the valve. hopefully sometime by next week i will have this thing back together and purring like a kitten :P

This would be the culprut

Sorry Rooster it took so long, but the build date is 09/87 on this one

scubba.steve

Post by scubba.steve » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:10 pm

Fixing to show some love with new headgasket and intake set

Some pic's of the car as of today after i spent 3hrs cleaning off some nasty grim

My hatch is slighty a different shade of blue on this side

88 Xr4ti In the process of being built. :)
Steven

scubba.steve

Post by scubba.steve » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:31 am

Burnt valve replace.
Awaiting to throw the head back on
88 Xr4ti In the process of being built. :)
Steven