New guy. Clueless about Merkurs...

General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
Merkur Club web site
deathbypsi
Level 3
Level 3

Post by deathbypsi »

I paid over 400.00 for my windshield 2 yrs ago. A month ago it just cracked sitting in the driveway under the sun.
Brian R.
86 SVO
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

How was the rear view mirror attached to it? If by glue, that probably is why it cracked (double-sided tape is recommended).

YMMV 8)
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
CraigB

Post by CraigB »

That probably explains the crack in my windshield, goes straight down the middle.
CraigB
1984 Mustang SVO #251 • 13.22 @ 102
1986 XR4Ti • Some Assembly Required
CraigB

Post by CraigB »

Here's a newb-esque question. What rearend does the XR4Ti have? I've tried searching, but can't find the info I'm looking for.
CraigB
hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT »

The XR uses a Ford 7.5" open diff. 3.64 gears in a manual car and 3.36 in an automatic.
deathbypsi
Level 3
Level 3

Post by deathbypsi »

Please correct me if Im wrong but I thought the XR rear was actually only a 7" and shares nothing with the 7.5 .
Brian R.
86 SVO
hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT »

deathbypsi wrote:Please correct me if Im wrong but I thought the XR rear was actually only a 7" and shares nothing with the 7.5 .
I always thought the factory diff was a 7.5" and the LSD units from overseas were the 7.0" which is why they need a spacer to work in our beams.
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

hEaT wrote:
deathbypsi wrote:Please correct me if Im wrong but I thought the XR rear was actually only a 7" and shares nothing with the 7.5 .
I always thought the factory diff was a 7.5" and the LSD units from overseas were the 7.0" which is why they need a spacer to work in our beams.
Yep factory diff 7.5", euro LSDs are more commonly found in 7.0" form that require the spacer to install, but you can get a euro 7.5" LSD as well.
CraigB

Post by CraigB »

So would a LSD differential for a Mustang/Ranger work?
CraigB
RatFink
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RatFink »

CraigB wrote:So would a LSD differential for a Mustang/Ranger work?
Sorry, but no. Although both differentials are 7.5 they are very different, but some have converted to a Chevy LSD which is very similar to the XR's carrier.

Here are some options....
http://www.mc2racing.com/products/xr4ti ... index.html
Daniel Llewellyn

"You can never turn a pig into a race horse, but with enough development you can have a pretty damn fast pig".
Randy Pobst

I just love this guy:
hEaT wrote:Bit more work, but saved me $100 and I got to learn things, cut things, burn things and hammer things. All in all, a solid move.
CraigB

Post by CraigB »

Alright, that answers my question.
CraigB
John V
Level 7
Level 7

Post by John V »

CraigB wrote:Alright, that answers my question.
Not really.
That is only a cheery gloss over the question of what's available and what's good.

Search at here and Merkursport for the terms "Supra differential"

My thoughts are always this on modifications for fun or whatever: If we're going to be spending money and effort lets hope the results have some real advantages over stock.

The Surpa diff conversion first and foremost has three big advantages:
>MUCH stronger parts---8" ring and pinion , bigger bearings, huge half shafts
>BIG variety of Toyota 8" ratios for the cost of popular US axles ie as low as 100 bucks new. SHORTER ratios than stock Xratty 3.64 available easily---maybe you want to exchange an insane never to be realised top speed for some acceleration----3,9:1 and 4,3:1 are easy and common in Supra diffs.
> the LSD is a much stronger design than either the stock Xratty diff of the weak design the parking lot boys think is so strong: it is a "4 pinion" or "4 planet" design with 2 side gears and 4 planet gears...
That is a huge advantage in reliability---and right where 2 pinion diff nearly always fail.

And as for the kit to use the Supra diff, it is all external, needs only a quick zap for some weld nuts for stronger mounting points, and depending on the propshaft diameter , a little zap zap for a different weld yoke, otherwise bolt in.

The whole idea was for maximum flexibility, and a BIG margin of overbuild for fast road cars and rally cars---no thought at all to people in amateur racing that chose to enter "stock" classes then scramble around for ways to cheat (stock, and install a GM Limited Slip Diff---yeah, real stock), they're on their own....

You can also check the photos at www.rallyanarchy.com where enrollment is now looser.
John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle WA USA
CALL =-> (206) 431-9696 <-= CALL

http://www.rallyrace.net/jvab/
John V
Level 7
Level 7

Post by John V »

hEaT wrote:
It's pretty clear that Ford had GKN build diffs linked to the torque and weight of vehicles:
V6 RWD got 7.5" Thus XR4i got a 7.5
Scorp RWD V6 got 7.5, some with VC LSD
Cossie RWD got 7.5 all with VC LSD

4x4, which see less torque, got 7.0"
Sierra V6 4x4 got 7.0 VC LSD rear
Scorp V6 4x4 got 7.0 VC LSD rear
Cosworth 4x4 4x4 got 7.0 VC LSD rear

Some of the much lower powered vehicles got some smaller diff.
John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle WA USA
CALL =-> (206) 431-9696 <-= CALL

http://www.rallyrace.net/jvab/