Do NOT use FedEx

General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
Merkur Club web site
xrian
Level 7
Level 7

Do NOT use FedEx

Post by xrian »

As the title says, do NOT ship using FedEx.
They are crooks!!!

I was just charged $15.36 for a 40 year old car part that was valued at $35. Yes, almost 50% of what the stupid little 1lb piece of chrome was worth.
#1. They charged me $2.16 duty on it which they should not have. It is a 40+ year old used car part.
#2 They charged me$3.20 taxes on it which normally Canada Customs would not bother on ANYTHING under the $50 threshold
#3 Then they have the balls to charge me $10.00 Advancement fee which they explain it as a handling/brokerage charge.

** They were already paid to deliver the stupid thing in the first place!!!

I am so angry with this kind of ripoff from big time companies that I will spend the day posting this message to every car club, forum and other places that I can think of just so people are informed of this kind of customer gouging that goes on.
Be very careful how you ship or have items shipped.

Rant off.
Ian G-J
Ontario, Canada
richardcurtis
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Do NOT use FedEx

Post by richardcurtis »

Ian, i can understand your being upset, and you have my sympathies. But just for the record, i've used FedEx professionally and personally for the past 25 years or so, and can attest to their ability to deliver anywhere, anytime. Yes, they tend sometimes to be a bit more expensive than alternatives but they never lost anything; and professionally we were often shipping tens of thousands of dollars of equipment to and from the sometimes most weird places on the planet.
Richard Curtis
Fairfax Station, Va. '89XR (gone to a new home but not forgotten)
xrian
Level 7
Level 7

Post by xrian »

I forgot to add that I had already paid $27 to have it shipped and when it was deliver and I signed for it, I was never told by the driver or by anything that was attached to the package nor the invoice that anything more was owing.
It was 2 weeks later that I get this bill in the mail asking for more $$

So it started as a $35 part. The amount FedEx is getting to ship and this new bill is $42.36
Ian G-J
Ontario, Canada
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

I never, ever, ship anything overseas using anyone but the USPS for this very reason. I know UPS/FedEx rip overseas receivers when it comes to duties and such.
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now daily driven project

DCLXVI
Whiplash
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Whiplash »

I don't think their shipping charges are like that if something is getting shipped from US to US. Sadly we get the shaft for everything, shipping included.
Some kind of thunder inside.
grve66
Level 4
Level 4

Post by grve66 »

have nothing but good luck with fed ex US ground.. now the US mail is a different story when it comes to express mail. thats the scam. in my are they let it go with the regular mail so it gets there after 12:00(at least in my area) and i try to get my money back cause they guarantee by a certain time and it goes by when the package was "SO Called scanned" which is rigged. I will not get the package till the regular mail comes and by the time it updates in the system it says delivered before 12:00. then come the sorry it in the system it was delivered on time...
Nsw

Post by Nsw »

A few years back I bought a tripminder for my tbird off ebay. It cost 50 bucks and weighed around a pound. Fedex had the nerve to charge a 15 dollar handling fee along with another fee to cross the boarder. this also was on top of the shipping cost wich I paid the seller. I paid over half of the value of the tripminder in shipping. If you are buyin somthing from America and sending it to Canada DO NOT use fedex. UPS and DHL charge these hidden fees too. As Milehigh mentioned use USPS and save yourself some money
Swagman00
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Swagman00 »

x2 USPS. You won't get the lowest rates from UPS/FedEx going to Alaska, Hawaii or Puerto Rico via parcel. They win every time hands down.

It might have something to do with the debt problem they need to curb.
-Neil

The Mechanic: You'd have yourself a real street-sweeper here if you put a little work into it (The GTO).
G.T.O. Driver: I go fast enough.
'55 Chevy Driver: You can never go fast enough.

-Two Lane Blacktop
thebronze
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thebronze »

Canada Post are the biggest asshats... they loose everything... I sent brake lines back to Mike, they lost em... I sent some very important paperwork registered mail, they f***** lost it.... REGISTERED MAIL... took 1 1/2 years of My work and lost it. No explaination, no appology.
Kevin
88 VW Cabby...........Starbucks poses by ME
Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid.
-John Wayne