just another day and rare k2/xr4ti find

General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
espacef1fan
Level 5
Level 5

Re: just another day

Post by espacef1fan » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:23 am

wicked93gs wrote:You guys in the pacific northwest and up in new england have no idea how lucky you are...other XR owners everywhere around you...out here in Nashville its a XR wasteland....I know there is a whole one other XR owner, but I only know that since I met him 2 yeara ago at a ford meet when we were both driving our SVOs....I have never actually seen him or his XR since, I think the nearest other XR to me right now is northern Alabama...so in short...you would never see a pic with 3 XRs in it around here
FAIL! You forgot me in Clarksville!!! LOL...
Adam Escott
Fort Campbell,KY
Chinook Mechanic
89 XR with Outcast Body in Red
Duratec coming soon(unless you havea a better idea...)

Rico

Re: just another day and rare k2/xr4ti find

Post by Rico » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:29 am

I think the white 86 XR in the picture was my car. My XR had K2 logo graphics which matched the striping pattern on the car in photo. It was unique pattern from the with thinner stripes. The few XRs with K2 graphics I saw had wider stripes. I purchased it new in fall of 86, from the Lincoln Mercury dealer in Ogden, Utah (I believe named Middlekauff). The ski racks were not included with the purchase of car, in fact they weren’t even available from the dealer. I know this because when I found out that the rack was not included in the sell, I ask if I could purchase a ski rack, i was told that it was not an option offered.

I know it has been at least 6 years since the photo was taken, but I am interested in where and when the photo was taken and if anyone knows where the car is at now.

andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 4
Level 4

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:00 pm

Interesting. Maybe the dealer just put some stripes on a regular XR. Did the K2 ones come with skis also? Like the trek jetta came with a bike. Not sure why a rwd open diff car would work well for skiers anyway.
You're only as good as the last car you build.

John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:21 am

andyofcolumbusmerkur wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:00 pm
Not sure why a rwd open diff car would work well for skiers anyway.
This.
This is my car, and these are my people!
1989 XR4Ti 5-Speed
2001 BMW Z3 3.0 5-Speed
2015 Fiesta ST 6-Speed
2015 Edge 3.5 V6 Auto/Paddles

andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 4
Level 4

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:35 am

Right. K2 should have hit up the Mitsubishi Starion/Plymouth/Chrysler Conquest for their quintessential turbo 80's skier ride. At least they have a little fold down tray in the center console for, um taking important notes and such.

John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:17 am

Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:35 am
Right. K2 should have hit up the Mitsubishi Starion/Plymouth/Chrysler Conquest for their quintessential turbo 80's skier ride. At least they have a little fold down tray in the center console for, um taking important notes and such.
Ford should have invested in the superior Sierra and Scorpio platforms in the US, instead of cars like the Tempo and the Taurus. LSD and AWD could have been part of that, along with other things, of course, since they were already being developed for Europe. They cast themselves as a global company, but have never truly fulfilled that.

Now look: they're cutting their entire car lineup in the US except for the Mustang... :dunno
1989 XR4Ti 5-Speed
2001 BMW Z3 3.0 5-Speed
2015 Fiesta ST 6-Speed

andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 4
Level 4

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:50 pm

Couldn't agree more. They could have been a decade ahead of Subaru on that one.

Rico

Post by Rico » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:55 am

My theory on why no rack or skis came with my car, Is that initially the K2 promo was still a work in progress. Which is in-line with Ford’s horrible marketing effort for Merkur. I agree that the K2 promo would have made more sense with a more winter friendly car. The XR with its light rear end and turbo lag truly sucked to drive in the snow.

andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 4
Level 4

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:24 am

Rico wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:55 am
My theory on why no rack or skis came with my car, Is that initially the K2 promo was still a work in progress. Which is in-line with Ford’s horrible marketing effort for Merkur. I agree that the K2 promo would have made more sense with a more winter friendly car. The XR with its light rear end and turbo lag truly sucked to drive in the snow.
James Bond didn't seem to have much trouble in the snow with his Lotus, guess he is just a better driver than all of us.

R Code

Post by R Code » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:02 am

My dad was determined to daily drive his XR back in the day, and ran 4 studded snows in the winter. At least the Lotus was mid-engined.
- Chris

'89 XR4Ti (5 speed)
'69 Cougar XR-7 "R Code" Convertible (CJ428/Auto) SOLD 1/19
'67 Cougar Std (289/4 speed)
'66 Mustang Coupe (289/Auto) - my wife's 1st car
DD's:
'06 Silverado HD Crew
'04 Suburban
'04 Acura MDX (son # 1)

John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:04 am

Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:24 am
Rico wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:55 am
James Bond didn't seem to have much trouble in the snow with his Lotus, guess he is just a better driver than all of us.
Weight of driveline over driven wheels = superior traction.
1989 XR4Ti 5-Speed
2001 BMW Z3 3.0 5-Speed
2015 Fiesta ST 6-Speed

eaton53
Level 5
Level 5

Post by eaton53 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:11 pm

R Code wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:02 am
My dad was determined to daily drive his XR back in the day, and ran 4 studded snows in the winter. At least the Lotus was mid-engined.
I gave up after getting stuck in a inch of snow.
Got an old Chevy 4x4 pickup to drive during the winter. It had a way better heater, too.
Mark Copeland - I'm 50 miles west of Kewanee, IL

'89 XR4Ti
Car was the 2014 MCA Merkur Preservation Award Winner
I'm just the latest caretaker and I'm keepin' it REAL shiny!! 8)

DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAReese » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:23 pm

R Code wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:02 am
I daily drove mine from 86-96. I had to park at the end of my brick driveway, and manhole covers were always interesting when it was rainy or snowy, but for the most part it was an OK car to drive unless there was more than 3" of snow. That was with the P7s. There were a few times when I still had my Capri II that it came out in the snow, but that was only the first two years I had the XR. Then the frame rail rusted through and it went to the great crusher in the sky. (Capri, not the XR).

I could and often did make the rear come loose when I wanted to, but driving it differently than how I drove in the nice weather and the only winter problem I had was when the gas gauge quit working, it was blizzard-like outside and I was a few miles away from the next exit on 77 in southern Ohio. Fortunately, in the days before cell phones, someone was nice enough to give me a ride and not kill me.
David Reese

88 XR4Ti - mono white T5, someday to be bi wing
89 Scorpio - waiting on some parts before it hits the road again
88 XR4Ti - mono red C3, parts car
used to own 86 dark blue traded in on a min van, what was I thinking?

John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:35 pm

Ever try this trick when turning corners in the snow and ice? As you approach the corner, lock the wheels, Turn the steering wheel; car keeps tracking straight ahead. When you reach your turn-in point, release the brakes-- the front wheels turn, grip, and the car turns the corner. Fun!
1989 XR4Ti 5-Speed
2001 BMW Z3 3.0 5-Speed
2015 Fiesta ST 6-Speed

merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:13 am

DAReese wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:23 pm
Fortunately, in the days before cell phones, someone was nice enough to give me a ride and not kill me.
The good ole days.