A Merk on Top Gear USA?

General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
Merkur Club web site
jetrinka
Level 3
Level 3

Re: A Merk on Top Gear USA?

Post by jetrinka »

I turned it off halfway through. I've never watched the show (the US version anyway) cause its so boring/annoying. The British Top Gear is one of my favorite shows but the American version just doesn't even come close. I love how they copied the double decker car racing that the UK version did... lol.

The one dude with the beard is just plain obnoxious....

The only somewhat fun part was watching Tanner run the XR through that dirt course. The rest was awful.
88 5-speed, Red XR
86 5-speed, 4x2 Toyota Pickup 22R
75 F-250, 4x2 w/390
2010 Impreza (wifes car)
xR4rally
Level 3
Level 3

Post by xR4rally »

It's certainly not TG UK, but true fans will remember the fat guy they had on before they discovered captain slow. The US presenters seem to be more pretentious and are definitely too serious. I think what they need is one highly irreverent host, a Jeremy Clarkson, if you will. Perhaps (hopefully?) with a few more years and one better host, the show might be worth watching.
Probably not the first time Tanner was ever 'sausage knighted', though.
"More horsepower makes you faster in the straights. Less weight makes you faster everywhere."
-Colin Chapman
buzz13
Level 2
Level 2

Post by buzz13 »

loved hEaT's little picture of mare-coor
this would make a nice window sticker
does anyone make this?
pyropete125
Level 7
Level 7

Post by pyropete125 »

buzz13 wrote:loved hEaT's little picture of mare-coor
this would make a nice window sticker
does anyone make this?

that was handed out from ford when the merkurs were for sale to teach the sales people how to say it.

there are German Australian and probably other versions of top gear but none of them come close to the original UK version. all the other shows are just trying to cash in on the name.
89 xr4ti, LOTS'O'MODS. PICS OF MY XR, FOLVO STUFF, AND...
nathankershaw
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nathankershaw »

You Americans must be rubbing off on me, I'm starting to like it!

I know from experience that relationships on screen take time to build and this latest season is way better than the previous one.

I agree not UK and there is a lot of recycled stunts but I find it thoroughly watchable now and has been added to my TiVo list.
1987 Merkur XR4Ti autotragic (which will change)
xR4rally
Level 3
Level 3

Post by xR4rally »

nathankershaw wrote:You Americans must be rubbing off on me, I'm starting to like it!
:haha
Lowering your standards to fit in?
"More horsepower makes you faster in the straights. Less weight makes you faster everywhere."
-Colin Chapman
nathankershaw
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nathankershaw »

xR4rally wrote:
nathankershaw wrote:You Americans must be rubbing off on me, I'm starting to like it!
:haha
Lowering your standards to fit in?
:lol:
1987 Merkur XR4Ti autotragic (which will change)