California is bringing back the old school license plates...

General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
Merkur Club web site
Esteban
Level 7
Level 7

California is bringing back the old school license plates...

Post by Esteban »

For the Californians here, the DMV is now offering retro license plates. Thing is they need 7500 pre-paid applications before they can pump em out.
Spread the word, the sooner they reach the goal, the faster they will produce them.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/legacyplates/index.htm
John Brennan
Level 8

Re: California is bringing back the old school license plate

Post by John Brennan »

:haha Anything for a buck, eh, California? Don't worry, Arizona has about eleventy-seven different types of license plates. It's a wonder the cops can keep track of 'em all; that must be why they outlawed license plate frames that obscure the word "Arizona" across the top-- they'd never know otherwise!
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
Esteban
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Esteban »

Yup, the state needs money. Something so simple may generate a tiny bit of profit. What they need are more teller windows in the DMV's to get rid of those 2-3 hour wait times. Sometimes even with an appt, you may wait 30min-1hr!
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

I know I'm getting off track, but if the state needs money, perhaps they should stop legislating themselves out of business. Just sayin'...

I don't like that you can buy the retro plates. It only serves to devalue the ones that are genuine.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
Esteban
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Esteban »

Thats exactly what i thought at first, actually. But the vehicle will speak for itself, not the plate.
nathankershaw
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nathankershaw »

Esteban wrote:For the Californians here, the DMV is now offering retro license plates. Thing is they need 7500 pre-paid applications before they can pump em out.
Spread the word, the sooner they reach the goal, the faster they will produce them.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/legacyplates/index.htm
Nice find!
1987 Merkur XR4Ti. T5 swapped. GAZ gold coilovers. Custom rear strut brace. Polybushed everything. Mustang ten hole wheels. Mercury Tracer front bumper.
whitelx
Level 7
Level 7

Post by whitelx »

I've thought about getting the black plate, but the fact that you have to pre-order it and they won't start producing them until 2015 has me waiting. Also, an additional $40 a year for the plate is a bit steep considering how much I already pay for registration and smog.
1986 XR4Ti - 294rwhp/315ft-lbs
1992 Mustang 5.0 notch - 434rwhp/445ft-lbs
http://www.youtube.com/user/whitelx
Esteban
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Esteban »

I think as soon as they get 7500 orders, they will start making them.
Also i think the annual 40 fee is if you do custom lettering. Does it apply to just having the colored plate even if you get the random numbers?
whitelx
Level 7
Level 7

Post by whitelx »

Esteban wrote:I think as soon as they get 7500 orders, they will start making them.
Also i think the annual 40 fee is if you do custom lettering. Does it apply to just having the colored plate even if you get the random numbers?
That would be great if the $40 yearly charge doesn't apply.

I did see this which verifies your statement. :)
Q15: Will the DMV wait until January 1, 2015 to implement the program even if the minimum is reached before that date?
A: No. Once the required minimum is reached, implementation of the program will go into development.

Q16: How long after the program is implemented will I receive the plates I have pre-ordered?
A: Approximately 9-12 months.
still takes a while for them to get the plates to you once the program is green lighted.

Although I really like my old, original sunset plate. :)
1986 XR4Ti - 294rwhp/315ft-lbs
1992 Mustang 5.0 notch - 434rwhp/445ft-lbs
http://www.youtube.com/user/whitelx
blugg
Level 7
Level 7

Post by blugg »

In IL you can run a vintage plate (year of vehicle) as long as you carry your correct Classic Plate with car.

on a side note MI "Classic Plates" are valid for 10 years....been years since I purchased one however it was $25 for 10 years. I think $2.50 a year is doable.
Jeff
Colin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Colin »

I like my lifetime-registration/one-time-fee Collector registration. No ugly tabs on the plate, no front plate requirement for Collector classes. Viva la Minnesota! :cheers
Instagram @colinrdoyle
89 Scorpio 2300-16V // 07 F-650 Cummins // 00 Beetle TDI
File to fit, paint to match.