New car! Focus ST

General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
Merkur Club web site
turboplz
Level 6
Level 6

New car! Focus ST

Post by turboplz »

Just picked her up today! I'm digging it so far, it's just going to take some adjusting to get used to that electric power steering assist!Image

Still have the XR in the garage. I think I'm going to do a modular swap over the next 5 years or so with my son and see how he enjoys it. Overall plan is in ten years when my daughter is old enough to drive, she will get the Focus and if I can trust my son, he will get the XR (maybe not with the v8, lol).
Jason

89 Xr4ti..."Bronze Turd"...long term project/current garage queen

2014 Focus ST
Father Adam
Level 4
Level 4

Re: New car! Focus ST

Post by Father Adam »

Beautiful! Enjoy my friend :cheers
1989 Ford Granada Scorpio

http://adamsgranadablog.weebly.com/

John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

My wife has the electric steering in her Fusion-- works fine. Felt great on Highway 1 north of San Francisco, so that's a good enough test, I think!

Congrats, may it serve you long and well. :cheers
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
Grayson
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Grayson »

There are several XR owners that have picked up Focus STs at this point, including myself, Joe, and Wyatt for starters. I love mine for daily driving, especially after having the motor/trans mount TSB done. The XR makes a FAR better race car, but the ST is really nice on the streets.
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

Nothing to get used to on the electric steering. I have it in my Fiesta SE, and it's no different than the old hydraulic system IMO. Wish I had looked closer at a Fiesta ST though, I really wanted one of those. Next time I guess...
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now daily driven project

DCLXVI
Bob Weir
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Bob Weir »

What is "electric steering"? What are the advantages over "mechanical steering"?
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

Lower weight by not having pump, hoses, or hydraulic rack. More MPG(and HP) by not having parasitic loss from driving the pump, of course these are logical assumptions...

I haven't looked at it yet, but the system in my Fiesta must be set up as a manual rack with electric assist. The owners manual specifically states that if the electric assist fails, i can still steer the car, just with greater effort...
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now daily driven project

DCLXVI
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

I'll try to snap and post a pic of the Fusion unit here soon...
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
Grayson
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Grayson »

milehighXR wrote:Lower weight by not having pump, hoses, or hydraulic rack. More MPG(and HP) by not having parasitic loss from driving the pump, of course these are logical assumptions...
If you look at the motor that's attached to the rack, you might not believe there's any weight to save over a hydraulic setup. Plus, what you gain by eliminating the parasitic pump you may lose in driving the alternator harder. The electric PS motor draws a decent amount of current.

I suspect Ford went to EPAS because it's easier to package than the hydraulic system, the installer need only connect an electrical connector rather than attaching high-pressure hoses and adding hydraulic fluid, and most importantly, they can now vary the steering effort anytime. Now they can provide more assist at low speeds to help you get though the parking lot, and then decrease the assist at speed. There's no more compromise, and it makes for a great drive.
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

turboplz wrote:I'm fairly certain mine is going back in next week to have the steering looked at. After a few minutes of highway driving, when you make small corrections coming off center, the steering wheel "gives" and jumps to the direction you were correcting towards. Then you quickly try to make another small correction and it does the same thing, "gives" then jumps. It is kind of nerve wrecking on the interstate.

I've researched this issue and apparently it isn't one of a kind. Many people have reported that it is a bad steering rack/controller. After a new rack is installed, the problem goes away. Talked to the dealership about it today and they said to give it a week and if it isn't gone, they will give me a loaner car and work on it until they cure it issue.
Say WHAT? As if such a thing can "cure itself," and if it did, that it's not of grave concern to have steering control? I don't THINK so... :BS

Edit: Oh, boy, here we go with the "out of sequence" posting, wherein my response appears ahead of the original post..?
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
turboplz
Level 6
Level 6

Post by turboplz »

I'm fairly certain mine is going back in next week to have the steering looked at. After a few minutes of highway driving, when you make small corrections coming off center, the steering wheel "gives" and jumps to the direction you were correcting towards. Then you quickly try to make another small correction and it does the same thing, "gives" then jumps. It is kind of nerve wrecking on the interstate.

I've researched this issue and apparently it isn't one of a kind. Many people have reported that it is a bad steering rack/controller. After a new rack is installed, the problem goes away. Talked to the dealership about it today and they said to give it a week and if it isn't gone, they will give me a loaner car and work on it until they cure it issue.
Jason

2014 Focus ST
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

After peering under the hood, and behind the engine of the Fusion, it's obvious it isn't going to photograph very well. It looks somewhat like an electric motor/alternator/starter motor, affixed to the top of the steering rack on the passenger's side. The shaft appears to run parallel to the rack, and there's a couple of substantial wires going to it.

That is all.
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
CV12Steve
Level 7
Level 7

Post by CV12Steve »

turboplz wrote:I'm fairly certain mine is going back in next week to have the steering looked at. After a few minutes of highway driving, when you make small corrections coming off center, the steering wheel "gives" and jumps to the direction you were correcting towards. Then you quickly try to make another small correction and it does the same thing, "gives" then jumps. It is kind of nerve wrecking on the interstate.

I noticed the same symptom in a Focus I rented. Didn't bother investigating but told agency on return. That was the only Focus/Fusion/C-Max I noticed it on, of many I've rented over the last 1½ years.
Stephen
turboplz
Level 6
Level 6

Post by turboplz »

Took her up to the dealership today. Looks like a new steering rack is going to be installed! Keeping my fingers crossed that this solves the issues!
Jason

2014 Focus ST
MercMike
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MercMike »

I have an SE. The electric steering is not comparable to the XR's Rack and pinion set up. I have a 6 speed auto that is also jumpy and will jump into down shift mode when on mountain down hills in cruise mode. so you have to find neutral which opens the gate to the reverse danger.
The brakes and turning abilities are superior in every way. Visibility has gone down hill too.
It does not feel as good as the XR for sure. Dumbed down with too much computer BS for my tastes.
I would rather control my own car. But all the new cars seem over done/legislated to me. The Caddy I tried was the same,
too big, computer every thing. for over $50K, I would buy old cool first.
A/C, cruise, auto & power windows is all I really to have for a DD any way.
BUT! That looks like fun ! Good Luck
'85 XR