Four snow tires - testimonial

General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
Merkur Club web site
Bob Weir
Level 7
Level 7

Four snow tires - testimonial

Post by Bob Weir »

Enough is enough - snow that is. PA is reliving the winter of '96 when it snowed almost every week and we haven't seen the blacktop on secondary & inner city roads lately! Ok, you guys in the northern US are having a laugh! I finally dug out the "extra" set of snows and put them on the FRONT of the Scorpio. Hey girls, time for a little party time in the parking lots. 4 snow tires are definitely worth the investment, even if they aren't the newest shoes you have. Snow tires = composition more compliant in cold weather. Amazing! The Scorp actually turns in the snow & icy slop.

Reality check - 4 snows on a Scorpio [without additional trunk weight] can be a lot of fun, and a lot safer with snows on the front wheels.

Make the best of this winter, because we all want to see everyone this year at Carlisle in only 4 months!!! ["You can leave you're hat on" and you're snows at home.}
SvoSierra
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Four snow tires - testimonial

Post by SvoSierra »

+1 on 4 snow tires. I've been rocking 4 Green Diamonds on my winter XR for over 10 years. It drives and drifts quite predictably and controllably. I may have to smuggle a set of studs up here in a year or so as my GD's are getting pretty old now.
XR and Scorpio blower motor rebuilding, LED upgrades, XR lock service
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

If anyone has only two and needs two more, I have a set of XR Snowflakes with new 195/60 snows on 'em... gonna put together an ad here shortly for a bunch of extra stuff shortly...
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
CV12Steve
Level 7
Level 7

Post by CV12Steve »

John Brennan wrote:If anyone has only two and needs two more, I have a set of XR Snowflakes with new 195/60 snows on 'em... gonna put together an ad here shortly for a bunch of extra stuff shortly...
That freak "snowstorm" you guys had a while ago scare you into getting them, John?
Stephen
Bob Weir
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Bob Weir »

The almost weekly storms and continuing < 32º temps make it difficult for the crews to clean the inner city streets.
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

CV12Steve wrote:
John Brennan wrote:If anyone has only two and needs two more, I have a set of XR Snowflakes with new 195/60 snows on 'em... gonna put together an ad here shortly for a bunch of extra stuff shortly...
That freak "snowstorm" you guys had a while ago scare you into getting them, John?
Ha ha, no-- I acquired them gratis from a local friend. That onset of that incident was so sudden and unexpected, there would have been no way to change wheels/tires even if I had been carrying them with me.

That said, if there is anyone for whom these would do some good, let me know.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost