rescue dilema

General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
Merkur Club web site
jekcs

rescue dilema

Post by jekcs »

Hi all, I bought a week ago two XR, one is a 85, complete, dashcover cracked front seat are not the best, few small dents and need a complete respray, second one is a 87, no dents at all, good interior and also need a complete respray, is missing few exterior parts.
The cars come with one C3, one 2.3 and one 302, also I have my 88 xr working perfect.
I have multiple options
1. Install V8 on the 85 and use the 87 for parts (I can sell the texans no rust shell if somebody from the north are interested)
2. Restore the 85 to the original condition, and use the 87 for the V8 conversion
3. Also I have two scorpios, I can install the 2.3 t in one scorpio and use the 2.9 to do a 85 xr4i clone, 87 for parts
4. Install the V8 into the Scorpio, 85 restoration with the original engine and a xr4i clone using the 87 with auto gearbox

I have all the ingredients and looking for suggestions, pro and cons
88 Blue XR, 5 sp. Blue
88 Scorpio, auto. Gray
88 Scorpio, auto. White
85 XR, Auto, V8, dark blue
87 XR, part car
John Brennan
Level 8

Re: rescue dilema

Post by John Brennan »

Quite honestly, without being there to see the nuances of each car's condition (or having a lot more info), there's really no way to advise you. However, I'm intrigued by having the V8 in a Scorpio, which I think is the best place for it, and the 2.9 in one of the XR's, as the XR4i is a car I always thought would be pretty damned nice. The motors can be built to be pretty stout, from what I hear. Take the nicest XR and fix that one up with a 2.3.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
jekcs

Post by jekcs »

85 XR

87 XR

88 Blue XR, 5 sp. Blue
88 Scorpio, auto. Gray
88 Scorpio, auto. White
85 XR, Auto, V8, dark blue
87 XR, part car
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

My head is spinning...

YMMV 8)
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
SvoSierra
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SvoSierra »

I say V8 Scorpio, that's my plan (eventually). I'm planning on AOD for the (quick) luxobarge experience.
XR and Scorpio blower motor rebuilding, LED upgrades, XR lock service