What gives, secure connection too many logins?

General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
Merkur Club web site
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

What gives, secure connection too many logins?

Post by milehighXR »

So the last 3 times I've come to log in when I click the dialog for username and password I get a little pop up that says "connection is not secure", and at the very first attempt to login it says I've entered the wrong password too many times :dunno , and asks me to answer a captcha code. I'm on Win 10, and using latest version of firefox. Not grasping what is going with the multiple failed login BS :dunno
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now daily driven project

DCLXVI
MarkM
Level 7
Level 7

Re: What gives, secure connection too many logins?

Post by MarkM »

Here's why you're seeing the message about the connection not being secure. https://blog.mozilla.org/security/2017/ ... cure-http/

I'm not sure why you're getting the message about entering your password too many times. Do you allow cookies for the site?
Mark
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

The only cookies I allow are the chocolate chip walnut ones I eat :lol:

But seriously, Ive never allowed cookies on any site, and I only started getting the message about entering my password too many times within the last week. It's really annoying, to have to enter the info twice and then answer a stupid captcha just to log in, I'll try in Chrome and see what happens...
Johnny

DCLXVI
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

Chrome does the same thing, without the warning about the non secure connection :roll:
Johnny

DCLXVI
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

:banghead I even changed my password and it still makes enter a captcha :banghead
Johnny

DCLXVI
jkxr4ti
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jkxr4ti »

I got that same message too a couple days ago. Once I entered it once on that device it went away.
Jeremy Kemp

RIP: the Mutt….1988 XR4Ti Chestnut Brown/Spice Leather
MC2 Coilovers and Bushings, Contour Rims and Rotors, Ported Motorsport Head, Cosworth 4x4 Intercooler, Holset HY35 Turbo, 80LB Injectors, Megasquirt2 EFI
Bob Weir
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Bob Weir »

The hackers and fishers are at the door. Gotta recut another set of tibbe & chubb keys. Answering the "difficult" question is a minor inconvenience to keep this site secure.

Do yo know the difference between tibbe & chubb keys?

Bob
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

Minor, no not minor, I have to enter my info, then wait for it to tell me it needs more because some setting has apparently changed. Then I can log in with the captcha.

Sorry, but this new policy, or whatever is crap, and this the only forum that I am on that does this(the captcha).
Johnny

DCLXVI
scorpioaddict
Level 5
Level 5

Post by scorpioaddict »

2 factor authorization is okay with me if miscreants really are an issue.
Another car forum I read was hacked, forcing new passwords, but no 2FA.
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

2 FA is okay for banks, and finances, not for car, train or other forums. One member of the model train forum I'm got hacked, and everyone had to change their passwords to bank level secure passwords, number capital letters, special symbols. Total bs for a forum. I have one password I use for forums, and then every bank, or secure info site has it's own unique password.

2 FA is over the top for a forum. I can see requiring some sort of captcha for an initial sign up to keep the spammers out, but to require one at every login, let alone to make me enter my info once, only to have it requested a second time with a captcha under the false pretense of "logging in with the wrong credentials" the first time is total BS. This isn't an issue with 2 step authentication, it is an issue with software that is badly coded, or malfunctioning. The issue I am having has not been addressed, the response I got was basically "no clue why the system is telling you your password is wrong". It is NOT an issue with a new policy, that may or may not have been implemented.

The exact issue again is this:

I get to forum, click login dialog, enter username and password, system pukes, and tells me that i have entered my info incorrectly too many times and must do so again, and then enter the captcha to verify I'm human, and know what merkur is. I've tried changing my password, different browsers and I still have the same issue. The thing I haven't tried is my DeLorean :lol:

This to me seems like an unintended consequence of a policy change, or software update, or some such. I've never visited a forum that required 2 step verification beyond the initial creation of the account.
Johnny

DCLXVI
scorpioaddict
Level 5
Level 5

Post by scorpioaddict »

Bob Weir wrote:The hackers and fishers are at the door.
First I've heard...
Gotta recut another set of tibbe & chubb keys. Answering the "difficult" question is a minor inconvenience to keep this site secure.

Do yo know the difference between tibbe & chubb keys?

Bob
Which one? Different blanks, different manufacturer... I dumped the Chubb
lockset first thing on taking ownership. They're more easily broken.
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

Knock on wood, uh huh huh he said wood, the problem has resolved itself, or been fixed perhaps. I only had to enter my info once today :cheers
Johnny

DCLXVI
Bob Weir
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Bob Weir »

Johnny :haha

Your ID looks like a "suspicious" address. I should report it to admin. Maybe I can get you flagged and require multiple verifications. For example: How many teeth [pins] in an original Scorpio key? :notworthy

PM or email me the answer or MCA will have to send the rodents to nibble on your electrical harness.. :withstupid

Bob
PS Do you organize any local car shows?
What local car shows r u gong to or showing your cars at?
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

:haha

Bob,

I haven't shown my XR since Carlisle 05, and even then she looked pretty ratty. In process of getting her back on the road. only 2 local car shows I know that might me in. The XR is too new for the car show in Mead CO(former home), and the big car show here in Longmont will allow 1979 Monte Carlo trars( :puke ) but not an XR if she show worthy.

Local groups hasn't been very active last few years. I used to do a BBQ at my place, and the last one I did we had my family, my dad, and Jacek(ghost). I almost gave up the XR in 2015, as my was diagnosed with cancer, and I hadn't worked on the car in a long time before that. After she passed I didn't feel like doing much that had me working on a project by myself. No that my oldest is getting more fun to be around(he's 14, wears a size 14 :shock: ) we have started working on Naomi together. The promise being he can drive her in high school occasionally. We now live close enough for him to walk to high school, and he'd be able to take the bus to after school work once he's old enough to work after school. He even has a job as a janitor at the shop I work if he wants it :lol:

Naomi's gonna need a bunch of, work, but once the house sells, and debts are paid, we'll be able to get her the proper cosmetic surgery to bring her back to showroom new and then some. Gotta pass smog first, damned eco nazis :roll:
Johnny

DCLXVI
Bob Weir
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Bob Weir »

Hi Johnny

I can feel some of your frustration, apprehension, pain, anticipation, & dreams. I've been down many of these roads. I'd rather miss a turn for that ah $#!* moment to eternity than face the cancer battle. I helped a friend through it while he finished his bucket list.

On to Merkurs & family = More important stuff...
One of my daughters drove a Scorpio to high school & Temple U, Phila PA for about 5 yrs. I embarrassedly took it to my 1st time with MCA to Carlisle in 2004. Every body panel was afu! Rust, dents & PO disastrously attempted to remove clear coat with sand paper! The hs kids made fun of it, until they sat is those so soft seats. And the NE Phila ass holes never bothered with it. Always there, always started and brought her home. The beauty of it - my daughter helped me do everything from changing oil & brake pads to R&Ring the headliner. These were some of our best times together! And she often tell the story to her friends.
The worst of times = the best of times!

You're an asset to the MCA. Your participation for many years to come is REQUIRED. Read fine print in forum specs. It's Merkuritus...

Bob