timing cover?

General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
Merkur Club web site
grampy666
Level 2
Level 2

timing cover?

Post by grampy666 »

I've been wondering about this for a while and have nothing better to do today...

Why do many of you take the timing cover off and appear to run your cars without it?
-Michael-

1985 XR4TI - one owner - off the road since 1999, finally starting to work on it!
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

Re: timing cover?

Post by Mike McCreight »

Likely 'cause they get brittle and break. Or a fashion thing.
I ran without one until I picked up a bit of gravel, and trashed the timing belt.
It's not a hobby, it's an obsession!
MarkM
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MarkM »

Also if you're running an adjustable cam sprocket, it's a lot easier/faster to adjust if you don't have to pull the timing belt cover every time you want to make a change.
Mark
dunhamr1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dunhamr1 »

A lot of people run without them, but with the open floor of the engine bay things can get kicked up from time to time.. Had this happen on a Honda rally car, and it skipped timing and almost tore the belt.
-Ryan Dunham
1989 Merkur XR4Ti - nickname: "SheaXR4"
Daily: 2016 VW Golf R "Matti"
E-Street Autocross car: 2001 Mazda Miata
Old daily: 2003 VW Golf MkIV TDI, 200k+ mi

"Racing is Life. Anything else is just waiting." -Steve McQueen
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Mike McCreight wrote:Likely 'cause they get brittle and break. Or a fashion thing.
I ran without one until I picked up a bit of gravel, and trashed the timing belt.
Mostly the former, but the latter is a genuine concern.

If one were to fit a lower engine cover, a la the Scorpio, or any number of other cars, that would both solve that, and, perhaps improve the airflow to the rear of the engine/trans, etc., thus aiding the air dam flap thingy... hmmm... :idea:
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost