Photobucket 3rd party???

General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
Merkur Club web site
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Re: Photobucket 3rd party???

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

I've gotten a couple e-mails from Photobucket, but so far my pics are still alive in here. But I realize that could change at any moment. From the e-mail they sent out, there's an implication that 3rd-party hosting was always prohibited. Who knows. It's not like anyone reads those agreements, and they certainly lulled us into thinking it was fine by offering up the option to add the embedded prefix/suffix right from their site.

We have been discussing allowing photos to me hosted directly on our site here. A couple of us have this capability on a test basis. There's still some things to be worked out (picture re-sizing) and we're not entirely sure of the bandwidth implications. But we will see if we can step this up.

Here's a thread on GRM about the topic...
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum ... 043/page1/

Not sure if this will help, but this message thread has some info on transferring photos off Photobucket...
http://www.hobomama.com/2017/06/photobu ... -site.html
Brad
Ghost
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Ghost »

Not buying the statement that 3rd party sharing was prohibited. If that was the case, why would they have a box right next to the photo that allowed one to copy an "img" link to embed in order to share the photo on the forum? I never got an email from them about it (I did get a ton of "Let us print your photos" spam for months now despite unsubscribing from their marketing list). I honestly would've been OK with paying $5-$10 per month to be able to share, but $40/mo is a rip off. Time to look elsewhere and tell them to go F*** themselves.
'85 XR4Ti: Stuck in "Project Forever" SC LS swap hell...
Image Image
"All cruelty springs from weakness" - Seneca
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Ghost wrote:Not buying the statement that 3rd party sharing was prohibited. If that was the case, why would they have a box right next to the photo that allowed one to copy an "img" link to embed in order to share the photo on the forum?
Right, that was my thought. But it is possible that it was always in the agreement, they just made a conscious decision NOT to enforce it, figuring it would make their ransom request worth more down the road when they think they had millions of people "over a barrel". This action speaks volumes as to their mind-set.

Just doing some quick reading on Photobucket, they've had a rocky financial history, being spun in and out of companies. Here's a recent quote about them which tells the story....
In other words, while Photobucket may be challenged with growing its user base, it’s figuring out how to extract more money from its existing users.
They won't get one penny from me. I don't negotiate with terrorists.

The most annoying part here is all the threads which have Photobucket-hosted pics. Just moving your pics to a new host wouldn't take much time, but to then have to go through each thread and edit the addresses? No way. There may be a solution. I've just read about someone who has already done a script which may move your pics to a new host and then edit your phpBB posts with the new address. We'd need to do some testing on this, and we first need to upgrade the phpBB software - we're working on that now, for multiple reasons including this issue.
Brad
timxr8
Level 5
Level 5

Post by timxr8 »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:I've just read about someone who has already done a script which may move your pics to a new host and then edit your phpBB posts with the new address. We'd need to do some testing on this, and we first need to upgrade the phpBB software - we're working on that now, for multiple reasons including this issue.
I'd be willing to spend $40 on this...and not to PB.
Tim Spencer
1988 XR4Ti Duratec project car
2011 Taurus SHO daily driver...not stock.
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mike McCreight »

Fargin' ice holes.
It's not a hobby, it's an obsession!
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Chrome extension to get photobucket pics to show up: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...alioapbifiaedg

Not tested. Just sharing.

Oh, and here is the Firefox version: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...ix/?src=search
Brad
Esteban
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Esteban »

I just tested the chrome extension. Add it and clear your cache. it works!
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

Ghost wrote:Not buying the statement that 3rd party sharing was prohibited. If that was the case, why would they have a box right next to the photo that allowed one to copy an "img" link to embed in order to share the photo on the forum? I never got an email from them about it (I did get a ton of "Let us print your photos" spam for months now despite unsubscribing from their marketing list). I honestly would've been OK with paying $5-$10 per month to be able to share, but $40/mo is a rip off. Time to look elsewhere and tell them to go F*** themselves.
I wouldn't have paid a dime. I've started using postimage.org. Free as near as I can tell(who reads those dam user agreements anyway :roll: ). And if you wanna be anonymous with them, you don't even have to create an account. How you find your images if you don't is beyond me, but all I care about is free, and unlimited image size. I have way more importanter things to do than resize an image...
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now daily driven project

DCLXVI
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Esteban wrote:I just tested the chrome extension. Add it and clear your cache. it works!
But not on mobile phones (?) which is where/how I always post....
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
dunhamr1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dunhamr1 »

Mike McCreight wrote:Test....
Mike, your image with the KTM bike worked (I noticed no one had said anything), its visible.
-Ryan Dunham
1989 Merkur XR4Ti - nickname: "SheaXR4"
Daily: 2016 VW Golf R "Matti"
E-Street Autocross car: 2001 Mazda Miata
Old daily: 2003 VW Golf MkIV TDI, 200k+ mi

"Racing is Life. Anything else is just waiting." -Steve McQueen
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

It sucks to lose images, but especially with searches and the like. I don't know if there's any way to save/retrieve them, but that would be tremendous if so.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

I'm not sure why I'm "special", but all of the linked Photobucket pics of mine (that I've checked) are still working. I wonder if perhaps they're second-guessing their actions? Or I wonder if you signed up in the early days of Photobucket (as I did), they had a different license agreement then? Just a wild-ass guess - I really have no idea.

Regardless, we are continuing to test the new version of phpBB which will allow optional direct uploading of pics. Paid-up MCA members will have this capability.
Brad
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

That's great, thanks. I've had my PB account for quite a few years... don't know exactly. But it sure would be nice to eliminate the need for it.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:I'm not sure why I'm "special", but all of the linked Photobucket pics of mine (that I've checked) are still working. I wonder if perhaps they're second-guessing their actions? Or I wonder if you signed up in the early days of Photobucket (as I did), they had a different license agreement then? Just a wild-ass guess - I really have no idea.

Regardless, we are continuing to test the new version of phpBB which will allow optional direct uploading of pics. Paid-up MCA members will have this capability.
I'm sure your time will come :twisted: I had been on PB from almost the beginning, and they tossed me. It took 3 weeks form my of the initial reports of people getting the boot, to when I did.
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now daily driven project

DCLXVI
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Related to this topic, here's a solution going forward....

http://forum.merkurclub.com/forum/viewt ... 19&t=32562

Of course it does nothing about the hundreds of existing threads with Photobucket-hosted pics. :evil:
Brad