New to the forums

General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
Merkur Club web site
Ersatz36

New to the forums

Post by Ersatz36 »

Hello everyone, I recently purchased an xr4ti from Kansas and after reading through quite a few threads on here I thought I would finally introduce myself. My name is Charles and I live in Oklahoma, the car I purchased is a red (repainted by a former owner to a now faded maroonish looking color). It has an aftermarket rad/ic setup on it that I've recently plumbed as well as added a boost controller to replace the broken boost control solenoid. I've owned a few fox cars but this is my first Merkur so I'm fairly excited. The question I have is, has anybody found a fan/shroud setup that will have the shroud sitting high enough to pull air through the intercooler (mounted above the radiator)? Also, does anybody know where to get one of those grilles that actually allows some sort of airflow over the radiator?
Esteban
Level 7
Level 7

Re: New to the forums

Post by Esteban »

If you have the aluminum shorty radiator setup, then you can just order 2 12" fans from www.siliconeintakes.com and mount them directly to the rad. They take up less current than the stock fans and flow more CFM. You dont need a shroud since the fans cover up maybe 80% of the rads surface area. What you are looking for is a cosworth grill. When they pop up, they are $200+ or you can also cut a hole in your stock grill as well.
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

Welcome! :cheers

( and x 2 on silicone intakes fans, mount 1 or 2 in the diameter of your choice. 2 12" side by side on the rad, or a bigger 15" or 16" that goes up onto the intercooler as well. )
Ersatz36

Post by Ersatz36 »

Thanks guys, I'm actually fairly certain that it is one of your radiator/ic combos. It blows me away how shoehorned in everything is in these cars, I couldn't fit in the tried and true taurus fan. It has a generic puller on it right now, but I'll give the silicone intakes fans a look.
Bob Weir
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Bob Weir »

Hi Charles,

Welcome to the club. As a new member and owner of a Merkur you're entitled to a FREE 1 year membership and a few other perks.
For more info, go to this post
http://forum.merkurclub.com/forum/viewt ... 19&t=30034

Bob Weir
MCA Membership Coordinator
BWeir4u@rcn.com