Forum update coming soon

General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
MarkM
Level 5
Level 5

Forum update coming soon

Post by MarkM » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:35 pm

Just an FYI, I plan to update the forum software sometime this weekend, possibly tonight. The forum will be down for around four hours or so if everything goes as expected.
Mark

John Brennan
Level 8

Re: Forum update coming soon

Post by John Brennan » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:09 pm

Cool, thanks! Looking forward to the results.
This is my car, and these are my people!
1989 XR4Ti 5-Speed
2015 Fiesta ST
2015 Edge

MarkM
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MarkM » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:02 am

As should be obvious, the update has been performed.

There may still be some tweaks ahead, but we're back online. Comments and bug reports can go in this thread started for the purpose: http://forum.merkurclub.com/forum/viewt ... 19&t=32517
Mark

Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mike McCreight » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:39 am

Old geezer here, trying to find the "new posts since last visit button. (also know as my "start button"...)

Edit: Nevermind. Found it 2 layers deep in a un-labelled drop down.
Last edited by Mike McCreight on Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's not a hobby, it's an obsession!

MarkM
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MarkM » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:42 am

Look in the upper left of the screen, next to the word "Forums". There's an icon with three horizontal lines to its left. Click the three lines icon.
Mark

milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:32 am

Can we change the look, either as individuals once we login, or can the look be changed back to something easier on the eyeballs, like the old forum? Current color scheme is not easy to look at.
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now project car
1 14 black Fiesta SE aka Fiona- my new DD

DCLXVI

GPz11
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GPz11 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:55 am

Wow, what a difference!

milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:01 pm

Only difference I'm noticing is the color scheme. What was wrong with the previous version, or software(if this is entirely new)?
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now project car
1 14 black Fiesta SE aka Fiona- my new DD

DCLXVI

MarkM
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MarkM » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:00 pm

milehighXR wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:32 am
Can we change the look, either as individuals once we login, or can the look be changed back to something easier on the eyeballs, like the old forum? Current color scheme is not easy to look at.
Click on the down arrowhead to the right of your username in the upper-right corner of the screen.
Select User Control Panel
In the User Control Panel, click on the Board Preferences tab
Under Edit global settings, change My Board Style: to prosilver
Mark

MarkM
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MarkM » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:34 pm

milehighXR wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:01 pm
Only difference I'm noticing is the color scheme. What was wrong with the previous version, or software(if this is entirely new)?
The old version has been out of support for a while and the entire 3.0.x series had reached end of support as of Jan. 1, 2017. So regardless of any additional features, we needed to get up to date. This version is not entirely new, but it does have some new features we'll use. Many of the changes are architectural resulting in improved performance, security, or other under the hood type changes that might not be immediately obvious.

One of the subtle visible changes is in the quoting function. It still works the same for posters, but provides more information regarding the original quote. Regardless of the board style selected, the user interface has been updated. Some of the controls have changed and that does take some getting used to. Upgrading to the new version allowed us to set the Classifieds section so that the first post in a thread can be edited by the original poster, even after the normal editing deadline has passed. I know there were complaints about that with the old board, but there wasn't a simple mod available to allow that. We've got a new registration CAPTCHA that I hope will be easier for humans and harder for bots to deal with than the current one. There are some other items in the works.
Mark

Bob Weir
Membership Coordinator

Post by Bob Weir » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:40 pm

Hi Mark,

Thank you for all the work and time you invested in updating the software. However, I do have two suggestions: 1] Make "pro silver" the default and 2] in the posts, change the background from light blue to white. Rational - our eyes have been trained to read dark [black] on white, therefore black on white is easier to read and when copying / pasting a post into a document, the user won't have to change the color of type and background.

Bob