Forum update coming soon

General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
Merkur Club web site
MarkM
Level 7
Level 7

Forum update coming soon

Post by MarkM »

Just an FYI, I plan to update the forum software sometime this weekend, possibly tonight. The forum will be down for around four hours or so if everything goes as expected.
Mark
John Brennan
Level 8

Re: Forum update coming soon

Post by John Brennan »

Cool, thanks! Looking forward to the results.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
MarkM
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MarkM »

As should be obvious, the update has been performed.

There may still be some tweaks ahead, but we're back online. Comments and bug reports can go in this thread started for the purpose: http://forum.merkurclub.com/forum/viewt ... 19&t=32517
Mark
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mike McCreight »

Old geezer here, trying to find the "new posts since last visit button. (also know as my "start button"...)

Edit: Nevermind. Found it 2 layers deep in a un-labelled drop down.
Last edited by Mike McCreight on Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's not a hobby, it's an obsession!
MarkM
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MarkM »

Look in the upper left of the screen, next to the word "Forums". There's an icon with three horizontal lines to its left. Click the three lines icon.
Mark
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

Can we change the look, either as individuals once we login, or can the look be changed back to something easier on the eyeballs, like the old forum? Current color scheme is not easy to look at.
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now daily driven project

DCLXVI
GPz11
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GPz11 »

Wow, what a difference!
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

Only difference I'm noticing is the color scheme. What was wrong with the previous version, or software(if this is entirely new)?
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now daily driven project

DCLXVI
MarkM
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MarkM »

milehighXR wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:32 am Can we change the look, either as individuals once we login, or can the look be changed back to something easier on the eyeballs, like the old forum? Current color scheme is not easy to look at.
Click on the down arrowhead to the right of your username in the upper-right corner of the screen.
Select User Control Panel
In the User Control Panel, click on the Board Preferences tab
Under Edit global settings, change My Board Style: to prosilver
Mark
MarkM
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MarkM »

milehighXR wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:01 pm Only difference I'm noticing is the color scheme. What was wrong with the previous version, or software(if this is entirely new)?
The old version has been out of support for a while and the entire 3.0.x series had reached end of support as of Jan. 1, 2017. So regardless of any additional features, we needed to get up to date. This version is not entirely new, but it does have some new features we'll use. Many of the changes are architectural resulting in improved performance, security, or other under the hood type changes that might not be immediately obvious.

One of the subtle visible changes is in the quoting function. It still works the same for posters, but provides more information regarding the original quote. Regardless of the board style selected, the user interface has been updated. Some of the controls have changed and that does take some getting used to. Upgrading to the new version allowed us to set the Classifieds section so that the first post in a thread can be edited by the original poster, even after the normal editing deadline has passed. I know there were complaints about that with the old board, but there wasn't a simple mod available to allow that. We've got a new registration CAPTCHA that I hope will be easier for humans and harder for bots to deal with than the current one. There are some other items in the works.
Mark
Bob Weir
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Bob Weir »

Hi Mark,

Thank you for all the work and time you invested in updating the software. However, I do have two suggestions: 1] Make "pro silver" the default and 2] in the posts, change the background from light blue to white. Rational - our eyes have been trained to read dark [black] on white, therefore black on white is easier to read and when copying / pasting a post into a document, the user won't have to change the color of type and background.

Bob
hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT »

Is there a limit to how old a post can be before you can no longer edit it?

I want to fix all the broken links in my build thread:
http://forum.merkurclub.com/forum/viewt ... 5&p=269106

I cannot edit any of my own posts though.

Help?
MarkM
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MarkM »

hEaT wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:31 pm Is there a limit to how old a post can be before you can no longer edit it?

Help?
Yes, there is an edit timer for most forums. I think we'll be able to figure something out for you though. I looked at your thread briefly and there are a LOT of links in it. If you're willing to put in the work to fix them, I'm sure we'd appreciate it. I think I'll set up a temporary forum just for it, enable editing there, move it in, let you edit it and then move it back.

Edit: I've moved it to http://forum.merkurclub.com/forum/viewt ... 70&t=17035

You should be able to edit it there. Just let me know when you're done and I'll move it back.
Mark
hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT »

MarkM wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:52 pm
hEaT wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:31 pm Is there a limit to how old a post can be before you can no longer edit it?

Help?
Yes, there is an edit timer for most forums. I think we'll be able to figure something out for you though. I looked at your thread briefly and there are a LOT of links in it. If you're willing to put in the work to fix them, I'm sure we'd appreciate it. I think I'll set up a temporary forum just for it, enable editing there, move it in, let you edit it and then move it back.
That's great, thank you. I see the new forum up now :)
MarkM
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MarkM »

At the moment, access is restricted to just you and the moderators/admins. It was the simplest way of dealing with permissions, but when I'm more awake I could open it up for general viewing while it's being worked on. There was a lot of good stuff in that thread.
Mark