The Watch

General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
Merkur Club web site
eaton53
Level 6
Level 6

The Watch

Post by eaton53 »

It's on the way to me.
Search for "Merkur watch" on Ebay. The Tuna Can (pictured above) is the one that's more available.

The watchmaker got so swamped with orders for the MM 300 Marine Master (pictured below) that he can't deliver.
So he upped the price to $2K. That's to keep his listing active while stopping new orders.
Once he gets caught up he'll probably drop the price back down to $3 hundred something.
Might be awhile... there are people waiting since April.

The Turtle is a preorder and not yet in production.

Here's a fun thread on Watchuseek forum... almost 100 pages!
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f74/merkur ... 42450.html
These things are the talk of the watch world right now.
Mark Copeland - I'm 50 miles west of Kewanee, IL

'89 XR4Ti
Car was the 2014 MCA Merkur Preservation Award Winner
'89 Scorpio
This one has a very bright and shiny future.
Proud member of the Iowa-Illinois Merkur Owner's Association since 2015. :cheers
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Re: The Watch

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Too funny. Is it an American company? Reason I ask is that when I checked several years back Ford had simply let their trademark ownership of "Merkur" lapse. At that point anyone could pick it up and own it. It wasn't that expensive - we considered having MCA be the owner.
Brad
eaton53
Level 6
Level 6

Post by eaton53 »

The watchmaker is in China.

If they were made in Japan, Europe or the USA (yes, there are watchmakers here... RGM's are very nice) they would cost thousands.
For now, prices are similar to those of a decent watch you get at the mall. That's why they're getting so much attention.
They're considered to be a bargain, a high quality piece that's on another planet compared to your typical Chinese watch.

One of the reasons the guy's having trouble delivering is he's rejecting any parts that aren't up to snuff.
People who have recieved them are impressed and owners of real MM300's (a $2K+ watch) are buying them to wear daily.

The best known use of a "Merkur" brand by these guys:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOVO_Solingen

They predate Merkur cars by decades.
DPDISXR4Ti wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:37 amIt wasn't that expensive - we considered having MCA be the owner.
How much we talkin' here?

'89 XR4Ti
'89 Scorpio
Proud member of the Iowa-Illinois Merkur Owner's Association since 2015. :cheers
DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAReese »

Less than $400 to register a trademark.
David Reese

88 XR4Ti - mono white T5, someday to be bi wing
89 Scorpio - waiting on some parts before it hits the road again
88 XR4Ti - mono red C3, parts car
used to own 86 dark blue traded in on a min van, what was I thinking?
eaton53
Level 6
Level 6

Post by eaton53 »

I can answer the trademark question on Watches and Razors. They are trademarked.

The watch:

Word Mark MERKUR
Translations The wording MERKUR has no meaning in a foreign language.

Goods and Services IC 014. US 002 027 028 050. G & S: Watch and clock springs; Watch bands; Watch bands and straps; Watch bracelets; Watch cases being parts of watches; Watch chains; Watch clasps; Watch crowns; Watch crystals; Watch faces; Watch fobs; Watch glasses; Watch hands; Watch movements; Watch parts; Watch parts and fittings; Watch pouches; Watch springs; Watch straps; Watch straps made of metal or leather or plastic; Watch winders; Watch winding buttons; Watches; Watches and clocks; Watches and jewellery; Watches and jewelry; Watches and straps for watches; Watches containing a game function; Watches containing an electronic game function; Watches for outdoor use; Watches for sporting use; Watches made in whole or significant part of platinum; Watches made of precious metals or coated therewith; Watches, clocks; Watches, clocks, jewellery and imitation jewellery; Watches, clocks, jewelry and imitation jewelry; Cases adapted for holding watches; Cases being parts of watches and clocks; Chronographs as watches; Chronographs for use as watches; Chronometric instruments and watch movements; Clock and watch hands; Clocks and watches; Clocks and watches for pigeon-fanciers; Clocks and watches, electric; Complication watches; Dials for clock-and-watch-making; Diving watches; Dress watches; Equestrian watches; Inexpensive non-jewelry watches; Jewellery and watches; Jewellery, clocks and watches; Jewelry watches; Mechanical and automatic watches; Movements for clocks and watches; Parts for watches; Pocket watches; Precious stones and watches; Presentation boxes for watches; Sports watches; Stop watches; Women's watches; Wrist watches.

FIRST USE: 20160110. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20160110
Standard Characters Claimed

Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
Serial Number 87468969
Filing Date May 30, 2017
Current Basis 1A
Original Filing Basis 1A
Owner (APPLICANT) Bin Li INDIVIDUAL CHINA Fengtai District Room803 Apt A, No. 2 Fengze Street Beijing CHINA 100071
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

The razor:

Word Mark MERKUR
Goods and Services
IC 008. US 023 028 044. G & S: razor blades; non-electric razors; razor cases; callus cutters; callus cutter blades. FIRST USE: 20060000. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20060000

IC 021. US 002 013 023 029 030 033 040 050. G & S: shaving brushes; shaving brush holders; soap dishes; bathroom holders for holding razors.

FIRST USE: 20060000. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20060000
Standard Characters Claimed

Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
Serial Number 87609668
Filing Date September 15, 2017
Current Basis 1A
Original Filing Basis 1A
Owner (APPLICANT) MERKUR Stahlwaren GmbH & Co. KG gmbh & co. kg FED REP GERMANY Böcklinstr. 10 Solingen FED REP GERMANY 42719
Attorney of Record Stewart J Bellus
Prior Registrations 3835246
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

But no cars!

'89 XR4Ti
'89 Scorpio
eaton53
Level 6
Level 6

Post by eaton53 »

Well, well... the Tuna has landed in Frankfurt.
I might actually get this thing by the end of next week.

'89 XR4Ti
'89 Scorpio
eaton53
Level 6
Level 6

Post by eaton53 »

Got it and it looks just like the watch in the picture.
Definitely a very nice quality piece. Keeps good time, too.
I have other automatic watches that can't make it overnight without stopping. This one hasn't stopped.

The maker says there are many more models coming in the future.
I'll probably have another sometime after he gets a much better handle on his deliveries.

'89 XR4Ti
'89 Scorpio
morlynon

Post by morlynon »

I just saw one-- ebay.com/itm/6105-8110-Ceramic-Bezel-MERKUR-NH35-Tuna-Diver-Automatic-wrist-watch-Mens-Turtle-/282847406682. I kinda like it.
eaton53
Level 6
Level 6

Post by eaton53 »

I have two now... a Tuna and a Blue Turtle.
Very nice except for the rubber strap, which sticks to my wrist.
That was an easily solved issue.

'89 XR4Ti
'89 Scorpio
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
eaton53
Level 6
Level 6

Post by eaton53 »

I like that Timex World Time.
Well under 100 bucks if you look around.

'89 XR4Ti
'89 Scorpio