New to the Merkur world help needed

General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
Merkur Club web site
dunhamr1
Level 4
Level 4

Re: New to the Merkur world help needed

Post by dunhamr1 »

Turkeytop wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:28 pm I might not run heat either since I do not plan on driving during the winter or rain. What is everyone running for intercoolers and where do you normally
stash them. Curious since i just had my bumper off fixing some of the lower inner body work that holds the bumpers look.
Many options for intercoolers. If you ditch the AC condenser there's a decent amount of room in front of the radiator for an RS500 style intercooler.

Some go to Cosworth, or Cosworth-style intercoolers with a thick but short intercooler above a short radiator. Merkur Depot sells an aluminum shorty radiator/ intercooler combo like this.
I personally have a Saab 900 radiator (short but same ish width) with a Cosworth 2WD intercooler.

Some have used Porsche 944 turbo intercoolers, or volvo, etc. Many options.
-Ryan Dunham
1989 Merkur XR4Ti - nickname: "SheaXR4"
Daily: 2016 VW Golf R "Matti"
E-Street Autocross car: 2001 Mazda Miata
Old daily: 2003 VW Golf MkIV TDI, 200k+ mi

"Racing is Life. Anything else is just waiting." -Steve McQueen
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Take a look at this idea. I have test-fit it; it's a tight squeeze, but it fits and gives you about twice as much IC as the 2WD, but still fits behind the A/C condenser-- pic shows it above and behind where it would go, stock airbox is in the way, shotry rad needs to drop another inch-- Dodge SRT-4:
received_1506550362739152.jpeg
received_1506550362739152.jpeg (44.17 KiB) Viewed 7068 times
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
dunhamr1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dunhamr1 »

Just an FYI, two options for Cossie IC's available, one 4x4 (larger, better) for sale here on the forum, and a full setup (piping, IC, clamps) for stock location upper intake available for a 2wd cossie IC on the Merkur Club facebook group!
-Ryan Dunham

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop »

I might look at using the fmic off one off of the mustang, since all I have to do is remove the one off my daily driver to see how to fit it in the Merkur. Still need to fix my turbo after I installed my new timing belt and got the engine correctly timed it went to 25 plus pounds....and then 2nd gear went
boom lol. Not bad for in the parking lot at work but hopefully getting a t-5 end of next week whats the best easy stand alone everyone runs.
2015 Mustang 2.3 ecoboost
1993 Ford ranger 3.0
1988 Merkur XR4ti auto
dunhamr1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dunhamr1 »

Turkeytop wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:34 am I might look at using the fmic off one off of the mustang, since all I have to do is remove the one off my daily driver to see how to fit it in the Merkur. Still need to fix my turbo after I installed my new timing belt and got the engine correctly timed it went to 25 plus pounds....and then 2nd gear went
boom lol. Not bad for in the parking lot at work but hopefully getting a t-5 end of next week whats the best easy stand alone everyone runs.
If it pegged to that high (and you didn't set it to do that) you might look at the wastegate actuator (sometimes they fail).

T-5 swap is relatively simple but there's lots of fiddly things to make it work, look up threads on here and Turboford for ideas.

Unless you're talking about a new edge mustang, SVOs were top mount.

Easiest Standalone is PIMP from Stinger (literally plug n play into the stock harness, microsquirt based)
-Ryan Dunham

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop »

Im talking about 2015 ecoboost mustang and my wastegate actuator is missing some pieces but its also froze in the housing at the turbo swing valve. I just cant wait to get my t-5 home getting turbo coupe t-5 with a mustang bellhousing next week I hope.
1993 Ford ranger 3.0
1988 Merkur XR4ti auto
dunhamr1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dunhamr1 »

Turkeytop wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:47 pm Im talking about 2015 ecoboost mustang and my wastegate actuator is missing some pieces but its also froze in the housing at the turbo swing valve. I just cant wait to get my t-5 home getting turbo coupe t-5 with a mustang bellhousing next week I hope.
It may be too wide, the Dodge SRT4 FMIC *barely* fits, Porsche 944, etc. Many have used the Cosworth ones which mount above a short radiator (Merkur Depot Aluminum, Saab 900, etc). or the larger "RS500" style, which goes ahead of the radiator (ebay, Izusu NPR, etc).
-Ryan Dunham

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop »

Ill come up with something might just put a uni in but I do want to run around 20 pounds of boost one day but first gotta get it on the road semi reliably. Does anyone know which fan is actually the engine cooling fan? because my pusher fan is laying in the floor in front of my car lol.
1993 Ford ranger 3.0
1988 Merkur XR4ti auto
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

The fan behind the radiator. One of the three temp sensors clicks it on when it needs it, but it should also turn on when the AC switch is on.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

Turkeytop wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:13 pm Does anyone know which fan is actually the engine cooling fan? because my pusher fan is laying in the floor in front of my car lol.
It going to sound backwards, but the pusher fan on the front of the AC condenser is actually the primary engine cooling fan. The puller fan on the radiator comes on with the AC switch.
If you want to ditch the pusher and just run a puller all you need to do is run the pusher fan wiring to the puller fan and the puller will come on with engine temps.
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

It going to sound backwards, but the pusher fan on the front of the AC condenser is actually the primary engine cooling fan.
Really, that's so weird. Mine was there but not hooked up so I removed it this summer along with other A/C stuff. I believe some older Hondas have a fan that spins in the opposite direction (out the front grill) after you shut off the engine. Stays on for a couple minutes and lowers underhood temps. It would be cool to do something like this on the XR.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop »

well then i have eliminated the engine cooling fan. It will be alright for now i have a lot of work to get the car where i can actually drive for more than 5-10 mins in the parking lot
1993 Ford ranger 3.0
1988 Merkur XR4ti auto