Is there any specialty shop in or Near the State of CA that can do a C3 to T5 Swap?

General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
PNA

Is there any specialty shop in or Near the State of CA that can do a C3 to T5 Swap?

Post by PNA » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:52 am

Hello Everyone! Nice to meet all of you!

I recently just purchased a 1986 XR4TI in Automatic, but heard that unlike most cars, the conversion to a manual is Easier than most. With that said, I am a sort of "Passive" Gear Head instead of Hands on. I haven't really dealt into the nitty gritty stuff when it comes to working on Cars, just Oil Changes and Spark Plug replacements. General Maintenance Stuff Basically. With all that said, is there any shop in or Near the State of California that I could go to that would be able to swap the Stock Automatic Gearbox with the T5 Manual One?

Thanks to everyone in advance! I

dunhamr1
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Is there any specialty shop in or Near the State of CA that can do a C3 to T5 Swap?

Post by dunhamr1 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:26 am

No specialty shops that I know of, but there are a number of Turboford and Merkur guys out in Californa. Renai Chip Givens and Jeff Esteban come to mind. You might enquire as to their ability and time to help you out.

North or South?
-Ryan Dunham
1989 Merkur XR4Ti - nickname: "SheaXR4"
Daily: 2016 VW Golf R
Old daily: 2003 VW Golf MkIV TDI, 200k+ mi

"Racing is Life. Anything else is just waiting." -Steve McQueen

PNA

Re: Is there any specialty shop in or Near the State of CA that can do a C3 to T5 Swap?

Post by PNA » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:54 pm

dunhamr1 wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:26 am
No specialty shops that I know of, but there are a number of Turboford and Merkur guys out in Californa. Renai Chip Givens and Jeff Esteban come to mind. You might enquire as to their ability and time to help you out.

North or South?
Northern California, Around the Bay Area.

dunhamr1
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dunhamr1 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:01 am

PNA wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:54 pm
Hmm, not sure. You might ask on the Facebook group ('Merkur Club of America') and see who's around, I know there's a few in NorCal.
-Ryan Dunham
1989 Merkur XR4Ti - nickname: "SheaXR4"
Daily: 2016 VW Golf R
Old daily: 2003 VW Golf MkIV TDI, 200k+ mi

"Racing is Life. Anything else is just waiting." -Steve McQueen

PNA

Post by PNA » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:03 pm

dunhamr1 wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:01 am
PNA wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:54 pm
Hmm, not sure. You might ask on the Facebook group ('Merkur Club of America') and see who's around, I know there's a few in NorCal.

Alright, I will do that. Thanks!