On the hunt

General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
Merkur Club web site
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Re: On the hunt

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Really now, the difference between a half grand and a quarter grand isn't that big an entry ticket in either case. In the grand scheme, the long view, a grand up front will be dwarfed by what you'll spend on any XR in that tier ("needs some TLC, has potential, appeals to me"), in parts, in time, in effort.

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
markwemple
Level 1
Level 1

Post by markwemple »

Yeah, but every 250 counts in the ultimate scheme. Unless you're wealthy, that is. I always like to pay a fair price. Fair to both the buyer and seller.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

XR purchasers are mostly bottom feeders (seekers of fun, cheap dates). You may be opening a new category below our average.

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
LITTELHAWK
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LITTELHAWK »

I paid $2800 for my '85 about five years ago and later found my monowhite '87 not running for $500.

I'm around $7000 in total now after my T9 shredded in the '85 and I did a T5 swap and replaced the front suspension on both so far. Still a lot of work to go.

$1,000 for ANY vehicle that runs solid is a good deal.
'85 Mineral Blue & '87 White Barn Find parked in '92
markwemple
Level 1
Level 1

Post by markwemple »

Runs, but not too well above idle
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

I think $500 sounds completely reasonable if you have to tow it home vs. driving it home. AND first thing on the list is to replace the fuel tank (among other things).
It needs an air meter for sure? The seller pulled the codes and there is one for an air meter fault?

Just a few months ago I put a GOOD RUNNING 5spd on ebay with 68k original miles and it only bid up to $1,500: https://www.ebay.com/itm/192573770979

You can show the seller that ebay listing if you need negotiating leverage :D
markwemple
Level 1
Level 1

Post by markwemple »

Yeah, this is a tow it home proposition. He may be willing to do a trade for one of my motorcycles. I feel bad for the guy. The previous owner fed him a ton of lies about the car and he's being very transparent with me.
markwemple
Level 1
Level 1

Post by markwemple »

Wow. This car is at least 1500 from being in that condition. What is wrong with people?
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

Ed Lijewski wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:44 pm XR purchasers are mostly bottom feeders (seekers of fun, cheap dates). You may be opening a new category below our average.

YMMV
HEY!
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

Take the price of a Big Mac in your local area, then multiply by 100 and divide by number of dents.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
markwemple
Level 1
Level 1

Post by markwemple »

Do floor dents count? Lol
Power Tryp

Post by Power Tryp »

andyofcolumbusmerkur wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:41 am
Ed Lijewski wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:44 pm XR purchasers are mostly bottom feeders (seekers of fun, cheap dates). You may be opening a new category below our average.

YMMV
HEY!
He is including himself when he says that, so don't feel too bad. Embrace the general affordability.
Ford Parts Geek.

87 XR4TI
80 924 Turbo
Ersatz36

Post by Ersatz36 »

I agree with the folks above who say that that price for any car that runs and drives is pretty decent. They aren't difficult to work on, fun to drive, and are really good at drawing attention since most people have no idea what they're looking at. Parts availability isn't terrible either, but depending on what, if anything this car actually needs, like any project it could nickel and dime you to death.
DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAReese »

markwemple wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:49 pm Is there a name for the limited run?
Local dealer in Cuyahoga Falls sold mono-white 86 XRs as a California edition. It had white phone dials as well. 87 had mono-white and black from the factory available and 88-89 added Rosso red to the mix. Although I swear I saw late 87 availability for the mono-red in dealer literature.
David Reese

88 XR4Ti - mono white T5, someday to be bi wing
89 Scorpio - waiting on some parts before it hits the road again
88 XR4Ti - mono red C3, parts car
used to own 86 dark blue traded in on a min van, what was I thinking?
DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAReese »

markwemple wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:10 pm Ed, Are you saying at a grand, that car would be cheap??
The only thing that would concern me is rust. If the pinch welds are bad, the car is probably best served as a parts car. They can be fixed, but the time and effort to fix one with lots of pinch weld issues is probably spent on a different XR. If there are lots of rare parts, even a rust-bucket would be worth that.
David Reese

88 XR4Ti - mono white T5, someday to be bi wing
89 Scorpio - waiting on some parts before it hits the road again
88 XR4Ti - mono red C3, parts car
used to own 86 dark blue traded in on a min van, what was I thinking?