On the hunt

General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
Merkur Club web site
markwemple
Level 1
Level 1

On the hunt

Post by markwemple »

I'm looking at an 87 xr4ti near me. I've never owned one and, honestly, am unsure on value. This car is completel and runs, has a leather interior and appears stock. It needs a new AFM, fuel tank, exhaust, tires and rear wheel cylinders. It also has the typical rocker rust on both sides. Any ideas on values and concerns?? TIA!
markwemple
Level 1
Level 1

Re: On the hunt

Post by markwemple »

FWIW, I am located in Maryland as is this car.
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

Late 87 should be more than early 87, 5 speed more than auto. But its hard to really say since plenty of early cars have been upgraded to the better manifold, steering, brakes etc. If it's late 87 and mono white with the bi-wing spoiler that would be cool. Or a competition shell without the sunroof would be rare. They are all rare I guess, but that doesn't seem to make them valuable. If you can get it cheap enough and it runs I say go for it, then use it as a parts car down the road. A few choice parts could be worth more than the whole ride actually.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
grampy666
Level 2
Level 2

Post by grampy666 »

see the sticky in Frequently Asked Questions. Good info on what to look for when buying an XR4TI and dated info on market values.

http://forum.merkurclub.com/forum/viewt ... =44&t=7600
-Michael-

1985 XR4TI - one owner - off the road since 1999, finally starting to work on it!
markwemple
Level 1
Level 1

Post by markwemple »

This has the bi-plane rear wing. In the local ads they seem to have ridiculous asking prices. This one is a grand but I'm thinking 500 would be more like it.
markwemple
Level 1
Level 1

Post by markwemple »

Also it is white and mono-chromatic. Is it unusual to have a bi-plane wing and a solid color? Maybe an indication of a mid year 87?
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

markwemple wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:51 pm Also it is white and mono-chromatic. Is it unusual to have a bi-plane wing and a solid color? Maybe an indication of a mid year 87?
That is a limited production model and hence more desirable. Find out how bad the rust is (pinch welds, trunk floor, battery tray, anything you can see under the cladding), and let that be the deciding factor.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
markwemple
Level 1
Level 1

Post by markwemple »

Is there a name for the limited run?
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

We just refer to them as '87 Mono White. Almost bought a pretty good Arizona specimen a few years back.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
LITTELHAWK
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LITTELHAWK »

If you're still curious about value, NADA Guides does classic car values. They are a rough value estimate, especially for our cars, due to there being limited sales on classic cars and poor tracking of sale price. Still cool to look at though.

https://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/Manufac ... om=classic
'85 Mineral Blue & '87 White Barn Find parked in '92
markwemple
Level 1
Level 1

Post by markwemple »

They have 2k to about 6500. Does that sound right? I've looked here, BAT and sold items on Ebay and I'm still not sure I see a clear pattern, lol.
Ersatz36

Post by Ersatz36 »

If this is any help, I purchased my 88 that was in pretty good shape, manual trans, sunroof and leather interior with roughly 84k (or 184k, or 984k miles, who knows) on the clock about a year ago for $3000. It's fairly straight with no rust. It's hard to trust BAT honestly, especially since these were made in Germany and for whatever reason anything on that site built in Germany sells for ridiculous money.
markwemple
Level 1
Level 1

Post by markwemple »

Yeah, Audis are going for nutty money there right now. This car is a manual, leather, sunroof example with about 90k, and based upon the brake peddle test (condition of the rubber foot pad) I believe it, but rust on the pinch weld (or the region that originally had the pinch weld any typical seat seam splitting on the driver's seat, along with the issues listed. I'm thinking that the tank is salvageable by a tank restoration place.

Am I wrong on the $500 range? Or is that too low for a running (well, sorta) driving (well sorta) car?
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Mark Wemple: Jump in (both feet). The water's fine. Lotsa bathers, waders, some deep divers here.

Pool entry membership fee, whatever it is re that car, is Bottom Feeder cheap.

Cannon ball!

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
markwemple
Level 1
Level 1

Post by markwemple »

Ed, Are you saying at a grand, that car would be cheap??