Hagerty: 7 classics under $10K that you should snatch up

General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
Merkur Club web site
R Code
Level 1
Level 1

Hagerty: 7 classics under $10K that you should snatch up

Post by R Code »

- Chris

'89 XR4Ti (5 speed) - sold
John Brennan
Level 8

Re: Hagerty: 7 classics under $10K that you should snatch up

Post by John Brennan »

:bounce :cheers :headbang :applause :bounce
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

Hard to find? All they need to do is post up a "WTB XR have 2400 cash" post on like the best website ever!
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
eaton53
Level 6
Level 6

Post by eaton53 »

andyofcolumbusmerkur wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:49 am Hard to find? All they need to do is post up a "WTB XR have 2400 cash" post on like the best website ever!
That's right! :cheers
About time someone like Hagerty came around. We're on our way to no longer being the Rodney Dangerfields of the collector world!!
Now about that valuation tool. $5900 for a Condition #1 XR???
Good luck with that...
Mark Copeland - I'm 50 miles west of Kewanee, IL

'89 XR4Ti
Car was the 2014 MCA Merkur Preservation Award Winner
'89 Scorpio
This one has a very bright and shiny future.
Proud member of the Iowa-Illinois Merkur Owner's Association since 2015. :cheers
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

eaton53 wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:07 pm
andyofcolumbusmerkur wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:49 am Hard to find? All they need to do is post up a "WTB XR have 2400 cash" post on like the best website ever!
About time someone like Hagerty came around. We're on our way to no longer being the Rodney Dangerfields of the collector world!!
Good luck with that...
We're the ones to blame for most of that.
The Community wants to buy cars for a few hundred dollars, spend time and money fixing them up, then wonder why they can't get anything when it's their turn to sell... and why they can't get parts or service for a car that they've helped put lower than whale 💩 at the bottom of the ocean in terms of demand and ROI for those industries.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
cmouta
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cmouta »

I've been thinking about picking up a 3.2 Boxster S myself recently. I think its going to be the new e36 M3/Miata as far as excellent track cars that are hitting rock bottom and going to pick up steam. Although anecdotal, having recently watched a Cayman S's motor let go on the track in front of me and seeing 3.2 motors for around 5k on ebay maybe I'll stick with my XR and pinto motor :D How does the saying go? Don't race it if you can't afford to replace it?
Chris
1988 Mono Rosso Red Merkur XR4Ti - Sold!
eaton53
Level 6
Level 6

Post by eaton53 »

John Brennan wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:20 pm
eaton53 wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:07 pm
Good luck with that...
We're the ones to blame for most of that.
The Community wants to buy cars for a few hundred dollars, spend time and money fixing them up, then wonder why they can't get anything when it's their turn to sell... and why they can't get parts or service for a car that they've helped put lower than whale 💩 at the bottom of the ocean in terms of demand and ROI for those industries.
The board may want to get them cheap but I think that on the larger open market the very few Condition #1 cars in existence are going to do better than $5900.
The last really good, absolute no excuses XR I saw on Ebay blew past that number in the blink of an eye.
A lot of the stuff that comes up for sale also have something going on that could make one think that it might be mis-represented.

'89 XR4Ti
'89 Scorpio
Proud member of the Iowa-Illinois Merkur Owner's Association since 2015. :cheers
R Code
Level 1
Level 1

Post by R Code »

eaton53 wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:59 pm
The board may want to get them cheap but I think that on the larger open market the very few Condition #1 cars in existence are going to do better than $5900.
The last really good, absolute no excuses XR I saw on Ebay blew past that number in the blink of an eye.
A lot of the stuff that comes up for sale also have something going on that could make one think that it might be mis-represented.
In my book, a #1 condition car is a perfect/near perfect, example of the standard to which the cars were initially presented for sale. Further stratified into original/restored cars. A #1 car is not driven (but is drive able & will pass tech inspection). Anywhere it goes, it travels inside a car hauler.

$5,900? Let me know where to send the check. :thumb
- Chris

eaton53
Level 6
Level 6

Post by eaton53 »

R Code wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:59 pmA #1 car is not driven (but is drive able & will pass tech inspection). Anywhere it goes, it travels inside a car hauler.
I don't know if any XR exists that gets exclusively hauled around.
"Minty" original and restored cars will probably have to do. $5900 won't buy one of those either.

'89 XR4Ti
'89 Scorpio
R Code
Level 1
Level 1

Post by R Code »

eaton53 wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:14 pm I don't know if any XR exists that gets exclusively hauled around.
"Minty" original and restored cars will probably have to do. $5900 won't buy one of those either.
Exactly, it could be $20,000, because there is probably no such thing. Maybe the Henry Ford Museum has one in the basement, but its tires are flatspotted and the battery's dead. :wink:
- Chris

DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAReese »

R Code wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:06 pm
eaton53 wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:14 pm I don't know if any XR exists that gets exclusively hauled around.
Exactly, it could be $20,000, because there is probably no such thing. Maybe the Henry Ford Museum has one in the basement, but its tires are flatspotted and the battery's dead. :wink:
There has been two XRs owned by LMM dealers that were what I would call mint. One went for $14,900, not sure what the other one sold for. There was a mint-looking Scorpio for sale on Facebook twice. I don't think a price was posted or know if it sold. Then there is the "1 of 40" Scorpios for "sale" in California with a $27k asking price.
David Reese

88 XR4Ti - mono white T5, someday to be bi wing
89 Scorpio - waiting on some parts before it hits the road again
88 XR4Ti - mono red C3, parts car
used to own 86 dark blue traded in on a min van, what was I thinking?
eaton53
Level 6
Level 6

Post by eaton53 »

DAReese wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:06 pm
R Code wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:06 pm
There has been two XRs owned by LMM dealers that were what I would call mint. One went for $14,900, not sure what the other one sold for. There was a mint-looking Scorpio for sale on Facebook twice. I don't think a price was posted or know if it sold. Then there is the "1 of 40" Scorpios for "sale" in California with a $27k asking price.
I remember the $14,900 XR, it was on Ebay a few years back, a world record price for a stock XR I believe.
I also remember the $27K Scorpio. We joked that it was a "See, honey? No one wants to buy it." price.

And then there was the Pace Car...
https://bringatrailer.com/2016/01/03/6k ... -pace-car/
Reserve wasn't met... don't know what happened with it.
If I didn't already own my XR at that time, that car would be in my garage (actually in storage) right now. I know I would've paid too much.
It would be so much fun driving it into car shows with all the lights going...

'89 XR4Ti
'89 Scorpio