Excited new merkur owner here

General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
Merkur Club web site
Crownedinky

Excited new merkur owner here

Post by Crownedinky »

Just wanted to introduce myself . Im tommy and im from northern ky . I have liked merkurs since the first time i rode in one many years ago . While ive came close to getting a couple over the years i finaly got one . 88 mileage unknown and seems the wiring inside is chopped up but nothing i cant handle . It does have a 5 speed from what appears to be a ranger with a hydraulic clutch. Having a pia of a time getting the mc to connect to slave so about to drop the trans. Going to research best route to invest into as far as trans goes. Got pretty good deal i think. Running car not wrecked little rusty but forn$300 im excited. I may not post alot on here but will definitely be reading alot .
Bob Weir
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Excited new merkur owner here

Post by Bob Weir »

Welcome to the club!

Here's the link to a FREE 1 yr membership.

http://forums.merkurclub.net/forum/view ... 19&t=30034

I really don't need the license plate and from who you bought.

You don't have to be a paid member to use this and linked sites. However, there are a few additional benefits to being a paid member. Email me and I'll send you more info

Bob Weir
Membership Coordinator
BWeir4u@rcn.com

PS Don't forget to fill in the PROFILE, at least your email address, city and state.

PPS Hava A Happy Happy Holiday...
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

Welcome and congrats on the purchase! :cheers
$300 sounds like a deal. Fingers crossed thats a 87-88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe T5 in there with a hydro clutch - you would only need to source a regular cable pull 2.3 T5 bellhosuing in that instance and swap it out.
If it does end up being a Koyo Ranger 5 speed box then I'd suggest swapping in a T5.
Bearse

Post by Bearse »

At $300 it's a steal. Glad you managed to get a good deal like that. Also, hello to the community from me too!
Snake
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Snake »

https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_l ... ssion.html

The above is info on Ford ranger 5 speed gearboxes if indeed that is what your car has transplanted in.
itking
Level 4
Level 4

Post by itking »

Welcome.
Ron
1989 Merkur XR4Ti - Magenta [My XR]
1988 Merkur XR4Ti - Bunny [Wife's XR]
1988 Merkur XR4Ti - Raven [Daughter's XR]
1985 Merkur XR4Ti - Wombat [Youngest Son's XR]
1997 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.9L - Betsy
2002 Buick Century Custom - Daily Driver
1968 Dodge Charger 383
bali-high89

Post by bali-high89 »

Hey Tommy. Here's and idea. Start with this sand colored car for sale here in classified section (In Cleveland Ohio)
http://forums.merkurclub.net/forum/view ... 27&t=33897
and use your drivetrain to power it. I'm sure you'd end up with a nice pile of spare parts you could sell or trade. If the old shell was still good you could sell that, or not depending how bad it is. Sell a few parts and that second car will pay for itself plus some. Making the 300 dollar car more like a 100 dollar car! Now you are thinking like a true Merkur enthusiast! :headbang
"I read about that on the inter-screen"
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

These cars are sort of like potato chips. One is not enough. Good deal for 300 even if you need to put some time and money into it.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.