RS500 vs M3

General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
Merkur Club web site
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

A bit ago I made reference to the Infiniti G35 as being among the few Japanese (might as well throw in the rest of Asia here) cars I would like to have. I'll expand that to the rest of 'em:

Acura NSX
Honda S2000
Mazda Miata (would have to mod it though)
Mazda RX7 (1st or 3rd generation)
Nissan 300ZX (I'd probably like the 350, but I'd opt for the G35)
Toyota Supra (last generation)

There are a few others that deserve Honorable Mention, such as the Lexus IS300 (even though I think we have that one covered with the XR), and some Oldies but Goodies like the Datsun 510 (again, the XR is better), and the Datsun 1600/200 roadster (my old roomie in L.A. had one, and my wife and I went on our first dates in it-- but I'd just buy a Miata). The Toyota MR2 is interesting; haven't driven one, and they seem kind of chick-ish, but I suppose the potential is there, and I've seen at least one in a BF Goodrich ad that I liked-- a lot. I am partial to mid-engined cars, as I think it takes balls to put one on the market-- they usually don't sell well.

It's not a long list, and I'm sure I've forgotten one or three, but there it is. Note that all are RWD, and of course my list is limited to performance cars.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
Rhys
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rhys »

Jap cars are ok, but i dont honestly think i would ever own one unless money was tight etc. And the rest of the cars from Asia well im no going to waste my breath on those things they car cars :lol:

The supra from late 80's is crap! PMSL and you can buy a nice turbo model for erm as much as a bag of chips! :lol:
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Yeah, I mean the last Supra, the sequential-twin-turbo one. That said, I'll bet it's a bitch to maintain.
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

The 350 looks like it's trying too hard to incorporate every little styling gimmick and trend into it's design, therefore it ends up being a bit of self-parody.
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
EhBrah
Level 1
Level 1

Post by EhBrah »

fastmaul wrote:Now back to this little bit...
EhBrah wrote: or change the quarter windows and include an additional pillar, (molds for new trim, glass, millions spent on new stamping dies for additional pillar, new interior trim, etc. etc. etc.) and all the other crap just for the domestic market.
Eh Brah, me tinks you need a bit of schooling eh?
Before the US Market XR4Ti, there was the XR4i which already had the same body we had, No new molds for the rear pillar, and such. So while I'm like you and love the UK Cossie more than the US XR, the XR is more of a Cousin to the RS Cosworth, it's closer related to the XR4i. Have yourself a little search, you'll see they look almost identical. :wink:

Oh, and the 3dr cosworth was also a gamble from ford, making it out of a shell that wasn't really selling well! but hey, they pulled it off, and we can dream. 8)
Kinda like Buick making the GN out of the regal body (not sure on how the regal was selling though). Except the GN Does look dated!!!! But man does that car kick Arse!!!!!!!!!!!
OK well that's my bad then as I read somewhere that during development the single quarter window type body would not meet federal roll over standards thus the third pillar, maybe they released the body in Europe prior to the U.S. model launch. Maybe it's all B.S. if so then I apologize for the error.

The GN does go but.......in either case the government is to blame for creating obstacles that keep us from what we want.
"A`ohe pau ka ‘ike i ka hälau ho`okahi."
Not all knowledge is taught in the same school...
One can learn from many sources
EhBrah
Level 1
Level 1

Post by EhBrah »

AlexD wrote:I like the 350 also but I rather have the G35, for the fact that is has 2 back seats.
I concur, you can get the same basic car but with superior functionality. Overall I think the G35's design is better, a more cohesive design.
fastmaul
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fastmaul »

EhBrah wrote:
fastmaul wrote:Now back to this little bit...
EhBrah wrote: or change the quarter windows and include an additional pillar, (molds for new trim, glass, millions spent on new stamping dies for additional pillar, new interior trim, etc. etc. etc.) and all the other crap just for the domestic market.
Eh Brah, me tinks you need a bit of schooling eh?
Before the US Market XR4Ti, there was the XR4i which already had the same body we had, No new molds for the rear pillar, and such. So while I'm like you and love the UK Cossie more than the US XR, the XR is more of a Cousin to the RS Cosworth, it's closer related to the XR4i. Have yourself a little search, you'll see they look almost identical. :wink:

Oh, and the 3dr cosworth was also a gamble from ford, making it out of a shell that wasn't really selling well! but hey, they pulled it off, and we can dream. 8)
Kinda like Buick making the GN out of the regal body (not sure on how the regal was selling though). Except the GN Does look dated!!!! But man does that car kick Arse!!!!!!!!!!!
OK well that's my bad then as I read somewhere that during development the single quarter window type body would not meet federal roll over standards thus the third pillar, maybe they released the body in Europe prior to the U.S. model launch. Maybe it's all B.S. if so then I apologize for the error.

The GN does go but.......in either case the government is to blame for creating obstacles that keep us from what we want.
No need for an apology, now you know. :wink: LOL at either way the Government is to blame! hahahaha.
Erik AKA MerkurSport's Bill payer. www.Merkursport.com The virtual Garage. Bring your own nudie calendar. You can now find MerkurSport on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/pages/MerkurSpo ... 5756984607
EEM
Level 5
Level 5

Post by EEM »

I think the 350 has terrible styling, I'd rather have the G35.

-Emile
'67 Mustang Coupe 289
'89 Merkur XR4Ti
fastmaul
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fastmaul »

EEM wrote:I think the 350 has terrible styling, I'd rather have the G35.

-Emile
I thought they Looked the same (body wise) except for things here and there :?: :lol:
Erik AKA MerkurSport's Bill payer. www.Merkursport.com The virtual Garage. Bring your own nudie calendar. You can now find MerkurSport on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/pages/MerkurSpo ... 5756984607
EhBrah
Level 1
Level 1

Post by EhBrah »

AlexD wrote:
EhBrah wrote:
AlexD wrote:I like the 350 also but I rather have the G35, for the fact that is has 2 back seats.
I concur, you can get the same basic car but with superior functionality. Overall I think the G35's design is better, a more cohesive design.
Well the Nissan 350Z just have a alittle bit more power then the G35.
Bah! that is easy to remedy. Can't have the G35 upstage the 350Z sports car can we? 'Detune it' and voila! a bit less power :lol: :lol:
EhBrah
Level 1
Level 1

Post by EhBrah »

AlexD wrote:Here is the 350Z specs
http://www.nissanusa.com/vehicles/Model ... 3|,00.html
it has 300 hp as the highest.

Heres the G35 specs
http://www.infiniti.com/content/model/M ... 19,00.html
it's highest is 298hp

:lol: :lol:
damn it has 2 whole less ponies, I'm not going to get it then! :lol: :lol: :lol:
fastmaul
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fastmaul »

AlexD wrote:
EhBrah wrote:

Heres the G35 specs
it's highest is 298hp

damn it has 2 whole less ponies, I'm not going to get it then! :lol: :lol: :lol:

But from what I hear. The 350Z has the better breathing intake system, while the G35 don't have the good 1.
Forget that, have you seen the calipers on the G35!! :D
EhBrah
Level 1
Level 1

Post by EhBrah »

AlexD wrote:
EhBrah wrote:

Heres the G35 specs
it's highest is 298hp

But from what I hear. The 350Z has the better breathing intake system, while the G35 don't have the good 1.
So that's why Joe average leaves it stock and people like us rip it out! :wink: :wink:
MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo »

AlexD wrote:
EhBrah wrote:

Heres the G35 specs
it's highest is 298hp

So, in that case, it has only 2hp less, but doesn't breathe half as well. Makes the G35 seem to be a better tuner's car.
fastmaul
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fastmaul »

AlexD wrote:
fastmaul wrote:
AlexD wrote: :lol: :lol:

Forget that, have you seen the calipers on the G35!! :D
Am the 350Z and G35 have the same gold brembo calipers man.
D'oh, that's what happens when you don't look at both cars! :lol: