Clutch wine

General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
Merkur Club web site
bighairedwilson

Clutch wine

Post by bighairedwilson »

I belive its the throwout bearing. Whenever I press my clutch pedal down I hear a wining sound. It has been getting louder and louder over the past few months. Has anyone else had this problem? I want to make sure that I am replacing the right part.
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Sounds about right. Such a whining sound is usually the TOB. Think I'll have myself a glass of wine-- thanks for the idea!
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
bighairedwilson

Post by bighairedwilson »

Thank, Your good at this :D
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

I've learned a little over the years-- next to nothing compared to some of the others here! 8)
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
richardcurtis
Level 6
Level 6

Post by richardcurtis »

Not to correct John Brennan, but a throwout bearing usually makes its noise when the clutch is released (not pressed down). Engaging the clutch usually quiets a bad throwout bearing noise. sounds like you might have another transmission and/or clutch-related problem. Input shaft bearing? (although mine whines all the time regardless of clutch pedal position).
Richard Curtis
Fairfax Station, Va. '89XR (gone to a new home but not forgotten)
Chuck W
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Clutch wine

Post by Chuck W »

bighairedwilson wrote:I want to make sure that I am replacing the right part.
Well, if you're going to pull the thing apart anyway...check everything out and install a new clutch with T/O bearing and a new pilot bearing.
"Strange women, lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power is derived from a mandate from the masses, not from some farsical aquatic ceremony."
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Damn, I'm sitting here having a glass of Cabernet and I thought I was going to compare "tasting notes". Instead, you guys want to talk about cars! Oh, wait, this ISN'T the off-topic section - I guess you're supposed to talk about cars here. (insert emoticon of guy slapping his head here)

Any way, yea, I'm going to agree with Richard on this one - Failing T/O bearing noise generally goes AWAY when you depress the clutch pedal. Are you sure you got the symptoms described correctly?
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

I've had it happen both ways, although, in retrospect, not in a Merkur (it was an air-cooled Beetle, and the clip holding the TO bearing had broken, now that I recall it), so you're probably right, and it's most likely the input shaft. In any event, he's got to drop 'er and have a proper look.
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost