Volvo S40 Electric Power Steering Swap

General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
Merkur Club web site
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Volvo S40 Electric Power Steering Swap

Post by thesameguy »

Yeah, but sometimes FSMs have troubleshooting information you can use to infer the information you need - such as what messages are anticipated or where they're generated or where they're needed. Saab's FSM does *pretty* well at this, for example telling you "climate control module sends compressor request to engine control module" which at least gets you started. My Jeep and Jaguar have *none* of this. Having this information for the P1 platform would at least let someone know what they're looking for. Seems like this information may be available via VADIS:

https://www.swedespeed.com/threads/canb ... le.171294/
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

When I read about others doing this (corvette person on ls forum) they say the pump doesn't draw all that much power. Supposedly it is only about 10 amps at idle and 20 amps when sawing the wheel back and forth.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

Yes, but in failsafe mode it runs at a fixed speed meaning it's overboosted at high speed and underboosted at low speed, and cannot respond to fast steering inputs. Giving it the inputs it wants helps cure these issues.
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

I randomly ran into an article on Hot Rod Magazine about retrofitting GM Delta EPS and it mentioned a magic box that could be used to simulate the signals normally supplied by CAN. After some looking, I found reference to a "Bruno controller" that does exactly this. I have found lots of sources for this controller, but can't easily find the original, the inventor. Presumably a dude named Bruno. My thought is that this guy has already done the work of building a box to send CAN signals to a steering controller... Probably some adjustment to make it send messages correct to the TRW pump would be trivial.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

thesameguy wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:31 pm I randomly ran into an article on Hot Rod Magazine about retrofitting GM Delta EPS and it mentioned a magic box that could be used to simulate the signals normally supplied by CAN. After some looking, I found reference to a "Bruno controller" that does exactly this.
That would be awesome if something existed for the "Volvo" pump, seeing as how this followed me home from the junkyard just a couple days ago... :mrgreen:
VolvoS40PwrStrPump-1.JPG
VolvoS40PwrStrPump-1.JPG (1007.44 KiB) Viewed 9109 times
VolvoS40PwrStrPump-2.JPG
VolvoS40PwrStrPump-2.JPG (983.71 KiB) Viewed 9109 times
VolvoS40PwrStrPump-3.JPG
VolvoS40PwrStrPump-3.JPG (896.21 KiB) Viewed 9109 times
A couple things...
1) This thing is much bigger than I had expected.
2) Depending on the model/year, some have a remote reservoir and some have the attached version like this, which came off a circa 2010 S40.
3) Especially if they're not charging you for it, get the bracket, electrical pigtails, and hose clips as I did.
4) It's reasonably easy to harvest the assembly from a S40, especially if someone has already ripped the bumper cover off. It's located behind the bumper under the right headlight. A couple of the mounting bolts are a little tough to access with the pump still in place, but I managed to do so.
4) The Mazda 3 seems to use the exact same pump. But is there something magic about the Volvo version that makes it preferable? Does the Mazda version maybe not have the default mode?
Brad
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

Same here, I found a guy somewhat local scrapping an 04 S40. He let me go to his house and take what I needed.
We removed the entire pump, reservoir, pump wiring from pump to fuse box so I don't have to make any janky connections.
I found a place online that you can order the wiring pigtails from, but they're $70 bucks, just for the connectors and a foot or so of wiring.
Attachments
IMG_6063.jpg
IMG_6063.jpg (151.72 KiB) Viewed 8950 times
IMG_6061.jpg
IMG_6061.jpg (86.67 KiB) Viewed 8950 times
IMG_6053.jpg
IMG_6053.jpg (207.01 KiB) Viewed 8950 times
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

I think this is The Guy:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/142463173598?h ... Sw4~VZgMhW

Maybe he only operates on ebay. I'm going to reach out and see if he's willing to have a slightly more technical discussion, maybe add another product to his list. :)
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

thesameguy wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:39 pm I think this is The Guy:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/142463173598?h ... Sw4~VZgMhW

Maybe he only operates on ebay. I'm going to reach out and see if he's willing to have a slightly more technical discussion, maybe add another product to his list. :)
Is that setup the same idea, just from a different vehicle? I thought that the Saturn had an full electric rack, my Saturn's were 92 and 95, and my mom had an 04 Ion. I don't know too much about the Ion, it was an oddball, and then...long story.
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

I may have this wrong, but I think the only production cars ever made with "an electric rack" were the NSX, S2000, and RX8. Maybe exotics - I don't know anything about exotics. :) GM was early to the game with the "electric column," going back into the '90s. I don't know that we ever got cars like that here - these would be Opels and Vauxhalls. Then in the early 2000s we started getting them on the Delta and Theta platforms... these are the "electric columns" this controller from Bruno deals with. Toyota also does the electric column, and - this is news to me from reading that ebay page - apparently the Fiesta is now the best option? IDK. But the point is anything from 2003 onwards can be expected to operate via CAN, and it seems this guy Bruno has a solution for providing CAN messaging to an electric column.

I might someday do an electric rack on my Fiero (which lacks any power steering) but for the XR my only interest is an electric hydraulic pump. That's where this TRW/S40 solution comes from. My hope is that the Bruno controller - which sends CAN messaging to a GM or Ford or Toyota "electric column" could be adapted or modified to send CAN messaging to a TRW electric pump.
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

I've been searching for Volvo power steering pump and CAN bus since this post started, actually when Brad bumped it.
I'm finding numerous different forum threads about retro fitting this pump on multiple other vehicles.
I think every thread has 99% of people asking about how to setup a CAN bus communication to best utilize the pump.
Out of that, 0.01% of people say they've actually done it, and none of them have shown what they actually have.

I've got a couple people I work with who have Volvo's, one is older and the other is newer, I am not sure if either have this pump.
I'll talk to these owners and see if they do, if so, then I should be able to sit in their cars and sift through the messages to filter out what are being used when, then make some Arduino setup to send messages. I've seen some mention Vehicle speed vs Pump speed, which is what I was thinking to do as well. But, a colleague mention that when the vehicle is sitting idle, the pump would be sawing away working hardest. So, I'm thinking maybe Vehicle speed, TPS vs pump speed.

I haven't done this before, but a few guys I am close with at work have a much better understanding on how to make this work. So if anyone knows someone with a Volvo and this pump, bring it up to us for a few hours and we'll make the circuit for you.
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

I think the two inputs are vehicle speed and steering wheel torque. .. these seem to be the two inputs most EPAS/EHPS systems expect.
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

thesameguy wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:23 pm I think the two inputs are vehicle speed and steering wheel torque. .. these seem to be the two inputs most EPAS/EHPS systems expect.
Ok, does the XR have steering wheel torque though? I wasn't aware that it did/does.
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

It doesn't have VSS either... Or CAN. Or EHPS. The point is to add those things. :)
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

thesameguy wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:41 pm It doesn't have VSS either... Or CAN. Or EHPS. The point is to add those things. :)
I was going to use the speed sensor and TPS because it does have those items.
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

The XR does not have a VSS sensor though... Just a cable between the transmission and cluster.