General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
Merkur Club web site
Chezboat24

Post by Chezboat24 »

Hey all - just picked up a 1987 Merkur XR4Ti 5-speed today. Definitely a project (needs some rust repair, interior work, etc) but it seemed to drive fine right up until I got home. I went to take it out later but now it refuses to idle. I give it some gas and it's on its way but it refuses to idle. Any suggestions? I'm fairly new to these (pretty much exclusively Honda before this) so I don't really know my way around it. Thanks in advance.
Chezboat24

Re: New Member

Post by Chezboat24 »

Fiddled with the idle screw so that’s the temporary fix. Lots to do in the long-term (rust and paint) so it’s not likely to drive all that far in the short term anyway.
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

Do the full tune-up. Best to learn how to do that stuff yourself and not rely on a shop. Check out the vendors here for parts. :D
You do not pick Merkur, Merkur picks you.
john keefe
Level 6
Level 6

Post by john keefe »

Welcome! If it sat for quite a while, but drove well on the way home, then the first thing I'd suspect is that it scavenged some crap that settled in the fuel tank. Tune-up and going through the fuel system would be my first steps.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Clean the idle air control solenoid (remove and liberally shoot brake cleaner in it). Throlle body should be cleaned as well.

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

Do the above, but also include fuel filter under the drivers seat.
Where are you located?
Chezboat24

Post by Chezboat24 »

Located in Calgary, Alberta. Car is originally from Vancouver (purchased in Calgary but there's an old dealership sticker still on it). I'll mess with it more as the week progresses but I'll be parking it for the winter in the next couple weeks (about to enter my 4th year of university and school takes priority). Seems to be running just as well as before so I think I just needed to adjust the idle screw (it appeared completely backed out).
Last edited by Chezboat24 on Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

If I have something I am going to park awhile I like to first fill up the tank. This gas now has so many things added to it I don't bother with sta-bil or anything but you can if you want. After getting the engine to full operating temperature I shut it off and let it sit an hour. Then drain the oil pan and re-fill with oil. I don't care what kind really and I don't worry about the filter. This is because I will be doing another full oil change when I get the car out in the spring. Then I like to remove the battery and maybe even the ECM. Whether parked inside or outside I buy some moth balls for around the engine compartment. Get the kind that comes in the handy net bag. If the item being stored has one cylinder I like to get the engine into the beginning of the compression stroke. This way the valves are closed. On something like a motorcycle I have bagged the exhaust with a rubber band and plastic bag, or some people will use an oily rag. It is really more for controlling moisture than to keep something from crawling inside, but that could be something to think about. Maybe I would remove the air intake and bag that off to keep something from going up into the air intake system. At least take a quick peak at the air filter before trying to start the car in the spring. If there is some chrome I might shoot a little WD on it and that is about it.
:withstupid
Chezboat24

Post by Chezboat24 »

Thanks, Andy. I'm going to be changing all the fluids prior to parking but I appreciate the other tidbits of information. I've just been spending my free time reading about these and I'm just happy I bought it lol. It seems like I got a lot of car for what I paid

I guess I never addressed this, but I plan on doing all the work myself (except for getting it painted which may or may not happen). It seems easy enough to work on in the hour or so that I've messed with it.

No idea how to post pics here so I'll get some up when I figure that out
Last edited by Chezboat24 on Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

You can host the pics on imgur or someplace. Then copy the link address and paste it right in the thread. Just use the picture button for pics and the link button for a website.
Chezboat24

Post by Chezboat24 »

https://imgur.com/a/3RHCwbz

I'll just make do with this for now. Let me know if it doesn't work.

Purchased a vehicle report for it today. Became Alberta registered July of 2001. Last registered in 2011 (prior to me, of course).

Trying to figure out how to remove these exterior plastic trim pieces to do some body repairs. Is this in the service manual somewhere? I downloaded the 1500-page pdf from a link on the site here but I can't seem to find much (I'll admit I'm having a tough time navigating it because it won't let me create an account on dropbox to actually convert it to PDF)
Last edited by Chezboat24 on Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

I had the same thing happen on one of my doors. Like the bottom portion of the cladding popped out. If you can't bend it to get it to pop back in you will have to remove it. They are held in with rivets. Those are behind the red trim. The fender arches don't use rivets and are pretty easy to remove. Just in case you want to clean behind them or check for rust. The car looks pretty solid and rust free.
Chezboat24

Post by Chezboat24 »

The only blaring issues cosmetically I can find is the driver door (surface rust above the trim piece) and the faded paint. The rockers are ugly but they're solid. I can't get it back in place so it'll be removed entirely when I get the time. I've been driving it around recently and it seems to have some electrical issues that will need sorting relatively quickly (short somewhere causing the left indicator not to work when pressing the brakes, speedo/odometer not working, the 2D car that shows open and closed doors is hit or miss, the blower fan isn't engaging, etc).

One thing I wanted to verify, Wikipedia says the automatic XR's made 7-8 psi peak boost and the manuals made 14-15 psi beak boost. My manual seems to peak around 7-8 psi. Is the 14-15 psi a load of crap or am I just not making peak boost?
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

Tail light/turn signal is most likely grounding at the connectors, which are all very poor. The lights are mounted in a metal "rack", you can use a self tapper and install a ground wire on them, which should cure the issue, if that is the problem. Test by using some jumper wires clipped as mentioned above.

Speedo is cable driven, so either one of the two ends aren't connected properly.

The display is hit or miss as is.

Heater fan only working on high? If so, thermal resistor is open and needs to be replaced, crimp a new one in place, available online, I am not sure of the value right now, I'd have to check when I get home.

How is the actuator connected? A good and easy way is to connect the compressor directly to the actuator, that should give you 10psi since that is the default for the stock actuator. Check the actuator by using a hand pump, or even blowing in a vacuum line connected to it and listen for leaks. Since you're not getting up to the setpoint, sounds like you may have a boost leak, maybe loose clamp on the hose from comp out to the throttle body?
Chezboat24

Post by Chezboat24 »

The fan won't engage under any circumstances. Not at the car right now but I'll take a look when I get the chance. The grounding issue makes sense because my father noticed yesterday that when I press the brakes, the front left indicator lens illuminates.