I’m new (again) ECT question

General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
Merkur Club web site
RobinYYJ

I’m new (again) ECT question

Post by RobinYYJ »

Hello from Victoria BRitish Columbia Canada!
I just bought another rust free Victoria /Vancouver 1986 5 speed with the rapdo intercooler installed. I’m loving it. It drives well. Much better than my original one that I owned in the early 90’s
—One issue is the cold start stalling for the first minute or so then soon after it does not stall. Issue points to ECT sensor to the computer. Does any one have a motorcraft part number? Or a good quality one and the part number? Thank you!
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Re: I’m new (again) ECT question

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Just noticed your post.

I'd buy/install either a WVE (Wells Vehicle Electronics) or Standard Motor Products ECT. I'm confident whichever you choose will work well.
Screenshot_20211006-175418_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20211006-175418_Chrome.jpg (829.44 KiB) Viewed 3022 times
YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

RobinYYJ wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:23 pm Hello from Victoria BRitish Columbia Canada!
I just bought another rust free Victoria /Vancouver 1986 5 speed with the rapdo intercooler installed. I’m loving it. It drives well. Much better than my original one that I owned in the early 90’s
—One issue is the cold start stalling for the first minute or so then soon after it does not stall. Issue points to ECT sensor to the computer. Does any one have a motorcraft part number? Or a good quality one and the part number? Thank you!
How do you know it is the ECT did you get a code for that? You are saying it will start up but it wants to stall? And then this goes away after about a minute? Like once the O2 sensor starts to work the car will run totally fine?
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

andyofcolumbusmerkur wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:15 am
How do you know it is the ECT did you get a code for that? You are saying it will start up but it wants to stall? And then this goes away after about a minute? Like once the O2 sensor starts to work the car will run totally fine?
( x 2 ) did you get a code for the ECT ?

Cold start (open loop) has trouble but once into closed loop things are OK?
RobinYYJ

Post by RobinYYJ »

Update: I had a terrible wire clip connection to the IAC.
Basically the IAC was disconnected. I need a new plastic connector to click on the IAC properly. But I have it securely connected with a zap step for now. Now what is evident is a the IAC is trying to compensate for a an out of range TPS. At least that’s the code I got (23). so now, NO more stalling, just a slight up and down with idle. Sounds like someone just slight slightly feathering the throttle up and down up and down up and down up and down. If as if my idle was a rocking chair being rocked slightly.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Sounds like someone just slight slightly feathering the throttle up and down up and down up and down up and down. If as if my idle was a rocking chair being rocked slightly.
Commonly that's called surging and indicates a vacuum leak.

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!