Longer Tie-rod Ends

General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
Merkur Club web site
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Longer Tie-rod Ends

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

In the coming months I'm planning to re-do my XR's front suspension with Scorpio TCA, Scorpio spindles, Cosworth hubs, Scorpio ARB, and Mk4 Jetta coil-overs. As a result, the track width will be wider, so the easy answer would be to replace the inner tie-rods with the slightly longer Scorpio parts. I can do that if I need to, but my steering rack is relatively new, inclusive of the XR length inners. Given that, it would be easier if there was an outer tie-rod end that was a little longer than stock. Specs on factory ends as follows - XR and Scorpio are the same - if something existed with an effective length in the neighborhood of 85mm that would be ideal.

Female threads 14mm coarse
Thread depth 45mm
Overall length 94.6mm
Effective length 75mm (measured to ball-joint center)
Ball-joint thread 10mm
Taper diameter small-end 13mm ; large 14mm
Brad
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Re: Longer Tie-rod Ends

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Robert Urfer suggested these...

https://anemboengineering.co.uk/sierra- ... RpqYkJVBOs
AneboTieRodEnds.jpg
AneboTieRodEnds.jpg (478.89 KiB) Viewed 2560 times
Their primary purpose is more to correct bump-steer on lowered cars, but if they are longer that serves my purpose. The nice thing about these is that unlike the competitive products, you don't have to bore the hole out on the knuckle - it works with the stock tapered hole.
Brad
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Reply from Anembo...

"Yes our kit is longer, some people have had to cut down the standard rack slightly due to its length, so yes this will certainly do what you want."

Anyone else interested in these? Perhaps I can organize a group buy.
Brad
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

I'm kinda' interested. This will work with the Cossie 2WD/4WD knuckle? Do you know if those are just plated, or SS? Did Robert say how much of the stock tie rods' threads will need to be cut back? The kit come with shims for correcting bump, or is that a DIY dealy?
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

I did the conversion on my XR more than 5yrs ago, so I have no idea what I did anymore. I can't remember if I just swapped a Scorpio rack, or the inner tie rods, or just used the stock XR bits. I know I have stock style out tie rod ends.

I just put new rack boots on and next weekend when I'm working on the car, I can peel them back and measure my inner tie rods. The boots are held on with hose clamps.
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now daily driven project

DCLXVI