Greetings & 8.8 IRS

General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
Merkur Club web site
Scotty Boy

Greetings & 8.8 IRS

Post by Scotty Boy »

Hello folks, new to the forum but have been involved with SVO's and 2.3T's as well as the automotive aftermarket for a long time. I've taken over an 85 XR4Ti from my son and hope to get on it soon. I have a 2.3 ecoboost and 6R80 that's going into this car. While the Supra/Anembo diff choice seems most viable, I'm wondering if there are any 8.8 IRS options still out there? Seems David Godfrey is out of the game. Perhaps someone is sitting on one of these kits they might never use? I plan on turning the wick up on this engine quite a bit and it'll be an autocross/road course track rat. It'll be driven HARD. Appreciate any info. Thanks.
Scott Bowers
www.ronfrancis.com
84 SVOte Racecar
1965 Mustang Conv Restomod
1971 Ford F-250 Mule/Playtoy
MarkM
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Greetings & 8.8 IRS

Post by MarkM »

Welcome to the forum. I can't help with the 8.8 search, but I was happy to see your post. I owned that car for 13 years or so before it went to Don, so it's interesting to hear what's happening with it now. Unfortunately, it had a very boring life with me, mostly sitting and waiting for someone to work on it.
Mark
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

I believe this person can help with the 8.8 setup.
His focus is V8 mounts and installs, but I feel like somewhere along the line I heard he may have something for an 8.8...

merkwerke@gmail.com
Scotty Boy

Post by Scotty Boy »

MarkM wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:46 pm Welcome to the forum. I can't help with the 8.8 search, but I was happy to see your post. I owned that car for 13 years or so before it went to Don, so it's interesting to hear what's happening with it now. Unfortunately, it had a very boring life with me, mostly sitting and waiting for someone to work on it.
NO WAY?! Black, right? It's pretty much been sitting since we've owned it as well. Hope to change that.
Scott Bowers
www.ronfrancis.com
84 SVOte Racecar
Scotty Boy

Post by Scotty Boy »

my8950 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:58 am I believe this person can help with the 8.8 setup.
His focus is V8 mounts and installs, but I feel like somewhere along the line I heard he may have something for an 8.8...

merkwerke@gmail.com
Thanks, will reach out!
Scott Bowers
www.ronfrancis.com
84 SVOte Racecar
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Scotty Boy wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:03 am While the Supra/Anembo diff choice seems most viable, I'm wondering if there are any 8.8 IRS options still out there? Seems David Godfrey is out of the game. Perhaps someone is sitting on one of these kits they might never use?
Welcome to the forum. Please feel free to document your progress as lots of questions come up about putting the Duratec 2.3 into a Merkur.

Indeed David is pretty much done with producing parts for our cars. I can't imagine he'd do another run of the 8.8 parts. With as few kits as he made, you'd need to be really patient on hoping one might show up for sale.

Given that, I'd say the Supra diff with the Anembo kit is the way to go.
Brad
MarkM
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MarkM »

Scotty Boy wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:36 am
MarkM wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:46 pm Welcome to the forum. I can't help with the 8.8 search, but I was happy to see your post. I owned that car for 13 years or so before it went to Don, so it's interesting to hear what's happening with it now. Unfortunately, it had a very boring life with me, mostly sitting and waiting for someone to work on it.
NO WAY?! Black, right? It's pretty much been sitting since we've owned it as well. Hope to change that.
Yes, it's black with a number of scratches in the paint at the top of the driver's side C pillar. I believe it's a no-sunroof car and should have around 115 - 116K on the odometer, depending on how much Don drove it. The shift knob should be in great shape, since I replaced it with one that looked like new. I think the driver's seat has some minor seam separation, but it's much better than the seats it had when I bought it, which were split almost everywhere. I think we disconnected the power rear hatch lock too, since it was either broken, or on its way to breaking. We may have replaced the broken original lock with a junkyard lock and then disconnected the new one so it didn't break also. Unfortunately, it's been a while since I've owned it and a lot of details have slipped my mind since then.

I still have the original eBay listing where I bought it and per the ad, the last 3 digits in the VIN are 573.
Mark
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:25 am
Scotty Boy wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:03 am While the Supra/Anembo diff choice seems most viable, I'm wondering if there are any 8.8 IRS options still out there? Seems David Godfrey is out of the game. Perhaps someone is sitting on one of these kits they might never use?
Welcome to the forum. Please feel free to document your progress as lots of questions come up about putting the Duratec 2.3 into a Merkur.

Indeed David is pretty much done with producing parts for our cars. I can't imagine he'd do another run of the 8.8 parts. With as few kits as he made, you'd need to be really patient on hoping one might show up for sale.

Given that, I'd say the Supra diff with the Anembo kit is the way to go.
If you can get Anembo to ship the kit over here.
Seems there were a few people that had ordered and seemed like it would take 6-9 months from order to receive.
I'd think, if you're capable of swapping that engine and trans into this car, you're probably capable of putting an 8.8 diff in as well.

You are referring to the 8.8 from the Thunderbird S/C correct, with IRS?
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

You could also search cliffxr here and send him a PM...He is another that had an 8.8 in his XR which he just sold. He was selling off a bunch of parts, not sure if he may of had any for that configuration.
Scotty Boy

Post by Scotty Boy »

If you can get Anembo to ship the kit over here.
Seems there were a few people that had ordered and seemed like it would take 6-9 months from order to receive.
I'd think, if you're capable of swapping that engine and trans into this car, you're probably capable of putting an 8.8 diff in as well.

You are referring to the 8.8 from the Thunderbird S/C correct, with IRS?
Correct, I'm no stranger to fabrication. And yes to the S/C 8.8 but I'm not sure if it'd have to be limited to that unless I find someone to get off a system like David Godfrey made (that may dictate what diff to use). Not thrilled with the time it takes to develop all myself and then the concern about custom half shafts and all. If I can make a decision now, Anembo lead time doesn't bother me. Just ordered a rollcage and hope to start tearing the car down this winter.

Appreciate the help thus far folks!
Scott Bowers
www.ronfrancis.com
84 SVOte Racecar
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Scotty Boy wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:34 am Correct, I'm no stranger to fabrication. And yes to the S/C 8.8 but I'm not sure if it'd have to be limited to that unless I find someone to get off a system like David Godfrey made (that may dictate what diff to use). Not thrilled with the time it takes to develop all myself and then the concern about custom half shafts and all. If I can make a decision now, Anembo lead time doesn't bother me. Just ordered a rollcage and hope to start tearing the car down this winter.
Most of us with an 8.8 are actually using the Aluminum case version from the Lincoln Mark VIII rather than the iron case used on the SC. Regardless, as you suggest, fabricating that setup as a one-off would be painfully time-consuming and expensive.

I've spoken with the guys at Anembo and they admitted they had some Covid-driven materials shortages that led to some long lead times. I think the situation has improved.
Brad