Body Spray Paint "Open" Time?

General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
Merkur Club web site
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Body Spray Paint "Open" Time?

Post by john keefe »

I've got a couple expensive, quality cans of Chestnut Metallic spray paint, with the integrated plunger to dispense the actuator. Got them custom mixed from a top auto paint supplier around here. Unfortunately, they closed up shop about a month ago, and I never asked about "working" time once the paint is activated, and nothing's listed on the can labels.

Rather expensive. I assume it cures in the can (OTOH, who know with CA's VOC regs it might not complete the reaction until exposed to atmosphere, like the water-based color coats). I've got a couple sections to do (including roof) which I'd rather do one at a time. But, if the paint cures quickly in the can, I'd have to wait until every section is prepped and ready so I'm not stuck wasting 3/4 of a good, expensive can just to finish a couple smaller areas first.
zxr250cc
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Body Spray Paint "Open" Time?

Post by zxr250cc »

Hi all,

Did the shop tell you what brand of paints they were using to mix and make the color? It would be something you could use to get info from the factory like PPG or someone. I priced paint for the XR a couple of years ago and was astounded at how much a gallon of paint costs these days even at dealer cost which I could have used at the time.

Cheers
1986 XR4Ti Mineral Blue Metallic
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

Thanks. It's almost a "no brand", or at least not a major brand I can tell from the label, but I'll try that route.
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

Sounds like the paint is 2k. Better get all areas prepped and do everything at once.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

Yep, that's the one (2K). Surprised its carried by Eastwood (at least 2K label). On-line, looks like its by Spray Max 2K https://www.66autocolor.com/products/sp ... pray-paint. Question answered there: must be used within 12hrs.