is this a good deal?

General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
Carlisle 2020
turbofan
Level 7
Level 7

is this a good deal?

Post by turbofan » Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:45 pm

I found an XR4ti nearby. it's got about 175k miles on it, but runs really smooth. new maaco paint job. not excellent job, but looks ok. has a different cam which causes valve float issues, guy has new valve springs and lifters but hasn't installed them but car runs great, just can't rev it up over 5k. has bad left front wheel bearing and fuel pressure regulator is leaking. it has mille miglia wheels, upgraded brakes, upgraded suspension, 3" exhaust, very nice sound system. front seats are shot but have covers, rear leather in good condition. car drives amazing.

the guy was asking $1950, he's said he'll accept $1700 but that's as low as he'll go. i gotta know what she's worth. i really like the car but i haven't shopped around for them much (there aren't many around here anyway) and i'm wondering if it's worth it--which i think it is.
Ed (yep, another Ed....)

THEY ALL (except partsie) RUN!

http://www.cardomain.com/id/turbofan

KingpinCEO
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KingpinCEO » Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:03 pm

1700??

got damn.

yo thats a ripoff.

got my sh*t for 300
1985 Merkur XR4Ti - 2.5 ranger block greyhound bus turbo
1988 Mercedes Benz 190e - awaiting airbag suspension
2005 Dodge Magnum - 336,000 Mile Daily driver
2008 Subaru Legacy GT - crazy loud boxer rumble
2009 Suzuki GSX650F - crotch rocket

ig: @DJ_Kingpin

turbofan
Level 7
Level 7

Post by turbofan » Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:03 pm

consider how little i know about these cars, maybe it'd be better if you asked questions that are usual merkur issues and i'll see if i can answer them. i'd love to post pics, but i have none. i've been to look at it in person, should have taken my camera! :(

the body is straight--really straight--with no rust (living in utah, that's pretty nice) and the paint is new. it's a cheap job but looks nice. it has the smaller decklid spoiler, not the big two-level thing. and they didn't remove the spoiler for painting. but you can't tell unless you look really close and the paint seems like it'll live ok. looks great though.
Ed (yep, another Ed....)

xr4tiguy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by xr4tiguy » Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:38 pm

1700 is pretty steep. These are great cars and should be worth more than what they are but they are not. That car is no more than $1000 I know that's shocking (and the seller would have a $#!* fit if that's what you offered) but I would recommend continuing to shop around. Unless it has a fair amount of upgrades i.e. intercooler, la3, big vam, CIA, some sort of suspension mods. Of course this is completely your call and it's hard for us to judge the car so if you feel like dropping the coin go for it. I however suffer from extreme buyers remorse so I personally would avoid this one.

Just to give a little perspective my most recent merkur purchase was $500 and that included another motor and trans (the car runs fine looks good perfect interior and brand new tires, but tranny in it was shot.)

turbofan
Level 7
Level 7

Post by turbofan » Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:12 pm

xr4tiguy wrote:1700 is pretty steep. These are great cars and should be worth more than what they are but they are not. That car is no more than $1000 I know that's shocking (and the seller would have a $#!* fit if that's what you offered) but I would recommend continuing to shop around. Unless it has a fair amount of upgrades i.e. intercooler, la3, big vam, CIA, some sort of suspension mods. Of course this is completely your call and it's hard for us to judge the car so if you feel like dropping the coin go for it. I however suffer from extreme buyers remorse so I personally would avoid this one.

Just to give a little perspective my most recent merkur purchase was $500 and that included another motor and trans (the car runs fine looks good perfect interior and brand new tires, but tranny in it was shot.)
some quick questions. what's la3, big vam, cia? what do those mean? do you mean cam? it does have a big cam in it. lol!! it does have some suspension mods and the car feels WAY tight, and it has cross-drilled brake rotors, at least in front. has a nice sound system too, but no 'cooler.
Ed (yep, another Ed....)

turbofan
Level 7
Level 7

Post by turbofan » Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:14 pm

i'm tryin to be kinda cautious, considerin my last car was an '89 saab 900 turbo that i thought was a good deal at $2500. the most i could get for it a year and $1000 later was $700.
Ed (yep, another Ed....)

xr4tiguy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by xr4tiguy » Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:33 pm

What kind of suspension mods??? Did it have REAR disc brakes?? New rotors for the front are cheap. I'm sure it still had the single piston calipers up front and the drums in the back.

the seller probably would have mentioned all of the things I mentioned if they were equiped. and since it doesn't have an intercooler then I doubt it has a big vam or la3. And you would have noticed a CIA (cold air intake.) If you're looking for a car that you're not gonna be losing money on (or at least be able to break even) I wouldn't recommend this particular car.

Basically what I'm saying is it's easy to make these cars look great. throw on some $60 rotors. a $200 paint job and some decent wheels and you have a very respectable looking car, and since it's a merkur, a damn nice car. But in the end it's still a $1000 car. I see respectable merkurs sell for less than $500 all the time (just look on ebay) Again... if you feel like this is what you want to buy, by all means purchase away, however I would suggest you continue shopping. :D

Merkenstein
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Merkenstein » Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:38 am

I would check around too. You really wont know about the condition of the car till you get it. About the rust issue, I would give it a big look over under the car. Right under the door is a bad place for rust. The lifters making a noise is an issue too. I paid 250 bucks for mine, and I drove it home. I agree with everyone else that is pretty high.

John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan » Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:54 am

I think he could give a little, maybe a few hundred at least (keep at him, but let him sit on it for a while), but I can't wait until all you low-ballers go to sell your cars. If there is truly no rust, and the body is straight, etc., and IF YOU LIKE IT, I don't think the guy should have to give it away. I would need more info before I could say what I think it's worth, but it sounds like the guy is just trying to get something for his car. I would, too. :roll:
This is my car, and these are my people!
1989 XR4Ti 5-Speed
2001 BMW Z3 3.0 5-Speed
2015 Fiesta ST 6-Speed
2015 Edge 3.5 V6 Auto/Paddles

smoke3006
Level 4
Level 4

Post by smoke3006 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:33 am

turbofan wrote:
xr4tiguy wrote:1700 is pretty steep. These are great cars and should be worth more than what they are but they are not. That car is no more than $1000 I know that's shocking (and the seller would have a $#!* fit if that's what you offered) but I would recommend continuing to shop around. Unless it has a fair amount of upgrades i.e. intercooler, la3, big vam, CIA, some sort of suspension mods. Of course this is completely your call and it's hard for us to judge the car so if you feel like dropping the coin go for it. I however suffer from extreme buyers remorse so I personally would avoid this one.

some quick questions. what's la3, big vam, cia? what do those mean? do you mean cam? it does have a big cam in it. lol!! it does have some suspension mods and the car feels WAY tight, and it has cross-drilled brake rotors, at least in front. has a nice sound system too, but no 'cooler.
LA3 = refers to the code of the computer in the car. The LA3 is considered an upgrade from the stock Merkur computer.

"big" VAM = VAM is the Vane Air Meter, it's measuring the amount of air coming into the engine. The Merkur has a VAM with 2" (I believe) inlet/outlet. The "Big" VAM has 3". Again it's an upgrade.

CIA = Central Intelligence Agency

CAI = Cold Air Intake

Personally I think many here are spoiled by the amount of money they paid for there various Merkurs. Yeah there are some great deals out there, but sometimes there's not.
I'd say start at $1000 and add on for things that were done to PROPERLY improve the car and subtract for stuff you're going to have to fix.
Having the sell just say "Suspension mods" is not enough, ask for specifics. What parts were used, why did they make the changes.

Also lot of it's going to depend on whether you WANT the car.

Never hurts to spend a little extra time to see what else might be available in you area (or beyond depending on how far you'll go).

PS Don't buy a car like this worrying about what you'd get for it if you resell it...
sam
'86 Regency Red Metallic XR4Ti -Blood Monkey

Cure your fever:
http://www.morecowbell.dj/

xr4tiguy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by xr4tiguy » Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:13 pm

CIA :lol: I said it twice, that's the funny part. I'm not big on acronyms I guess.

Texranger
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Texranger » Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:13 pm

Turbofan,
These are the details of the car you're looking to buy??
Merkur Desktop Ad:

"
-1989 Mono Dark Red with brand new paint
-New kumho ecsta 225-50-16's all around
-16 in Mille Miglia Wheels
-$400 Pioneer/Polk Audio Stereo (sounds awesome)
-Aftermarket cam that allows for a slightly higher redline (pulls stronger and stronger up to about 6000-6500 RPM)
-New bearing and hub on passenger side (driver's side bearings have not been replaced, although the mechanic said they sounded great when he listened with a stethoscope. You never know, though.)
-175k miles
-New Clutch
-New driveline flex joint (Guibo)
-Recent transmission service
-Neil Swanson lowering springs on front (rear springs have been cut to match).The car handles wonderfully
-Feels solid despite the miles
-Interior has seat covers and driver's side map pocket is gone, otherwise interior is in great condition (dark grey)
-Sunroof
-Valve springs and lifters could use replacing. If you rev it above about 5500, one or more will float for a minute, then it fixes itself. I have new lifters, springs, and seals.
-The air conditioning parts work wonderfully, although they are not installed on the car. =8-D New kit allows for both R-12 and R-134.
-Previously owned by my uncle, Jon Welsh
-I think the front driver’s side wheel bearing is starting to go bad. "

Nick.

turbofan
Level 7
Level 7

Post by turbofan » Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:07 am

haha yeah nick, that's the one!!! and she's a sweetheart. i brought her home today :lol:

yeah i didn't get to see all the other replies until i just got home with the car. turns out we've got a bad rear CV joint too (we think) but a whole new halfshaft at auto zone is only $56. anyway, i can't wait to get to modifying the car--she needs a 'cooler! yeah, the stereo sounds great and i can't wait to move my subs from my current car.

to be honest, i think that the reason the valves float is because of the aftermarket cam rather than them being old (if that is what you were implying). but we've got those new springs that are rated for 8000rpm, so we'll be fine! anyway, the car's a ball. i don't think it has a thermostat in it cuz it runs way too cold, but she's smooth as can be at 95! the suspension feels funny over bumps cuz it's sooooo stiff in the front and pretty comfortable in the rear, but it absolutely WORKS in the turns. that car is sooooooooooooooooooo much fun to toss around!! anyway, yeah i've finally caught the addiction and it's gonna be expensive....... :)
Ed (yep, another Ed....)

Merkenstein
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Merkenstein » Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:25 am

Yea, you always run new lifters on a new cam because of the lifter ware. I found this out the hard way when I had my 327 in my camaro. Why didnt he use new lifters, or did he? It can ruin an engine to. One little problem turn into a big one. I am glad you got it though. Look forward into hearing the progress and mods.

DGrue
Level 2
Level 2

Post by DGrue » Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:31 am

It's great that you enjoy it! I hope it serves you long and well...
turbofan wrote:i don't think it has a thermostat in it cuz it runs way too cold
Try not to take too much stock in the factory gauges (if that's how you are evaluating coolant temperature). I have found that many XR temperature gauges show extremely cold even when normal operating temperature has been achieved (as indicated by an aftermarket gauge; which better be accurate for its $50+ price tag!).

That has been my experience, anyhow.

Best of luck,
Dustin