Free crack in California??

General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
Merkur Club web site
XR4Timan
Level 5
Level 5

Free crack in California??

Post by XR4Timan »

Good price, eh? Wonder what I can sell my Cosworth for, using his warped pricing scale?

OH also seems to have a crack problem...

Last edited by XR4Timan on Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
1986 Sierra Cosworth
http://www.geocities.com/merouby
MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo »

Yeah, I've looked that car over a couple times (online, of course). At first I thought it might be ABM, but since it's an '88 it has to be sandgold.

The value of these cars are rising FAST!!! 5K is still a little high, but we are seeing more and more XRs selling for that much.
3" mandrel bent exhaust, Ported/Polished head, 1.89/1.57 valves, Gutted uppper/Knife edge lower intake, T3/T4, LA3, Big VAM, Cold air intake, 40bob header, Gillis valve, Forge BOV, Mustang SVO T5, Conquest intercooler, 20psi.
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Good! Whether he gets it or not, things like this DO affect the value of our cars. Any frequent visitor to these pages knows that I think we as a community have done much to keep the values down, which is NOT a good thing when it comes to insurance, parts and supplies, and the overall appreciation for the marque.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
Ghost
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Ghost »

I'm kind of glad to see people asking what the cars are really worth. I'm really tired of everyone expecting to pick up a nicely modded XR for under $1000.
Like John said - it certainly helps to prove the value of nice cars to the insurance companies.
'85 XR4Ti: Stuck in "Project Forever" SC LS swap hell...
Image Image
"All cruelty springs from weakness" - Seneca
turbofan
Level 7
Level 7

Post by turbofan »

um... why do we want the insurance companies to think our cars are worth more? isn't that the opposite of what we want? :?
Ed (yep, another Ed....)

THEY ALL (except partsie) RUN!

http://www.cardomain.com/id/turbofan
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Cuz when they're smashed/totalled, we want full reimbursement for inherent value. Capiche? :wink:

YMMV 8)
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
turbofan
Level 7
Level 7

Post by turbofan »

ahhhh.... i see...

but if it's a low value, and they total it, you get the money and then buy the car back for beans. then fix it with the money they gave you...

with a richer car you've got richer premiums...
Ed (yep, another Ed....)

THEY ALL (except partsie) RUN!

http://www.cardomain.com/id/turbofan
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

You haven't heard yet the moaning, groaning and sobbing that occasionally is articulated here or on IMON when someone suffers, or incurs/causes, a "total" in which they had put good sums of money, time and love. The lyrics go like this: My car was easily worth (X) K$ but the appraiser valued it a ~2K$ (if lucky).

Too many people want to have it both ways: low/lowest possible premiums, coupled with highest coverage and valuation for repairs or replacement.

Unfortunately, the insurance companies have got their numbers. :wink:

YMMV 8)
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
XR4Timan
Level 5
Level 5

Post by XR4Timan »

Ghost wrote:I'm kind of glad to see people asking what the cars are really worth. I'm really tired of everyone expecting to pick up a nicely modded XR for under $1000.
Like John said - it certainly helps to prove the value of nice cars to the insurance companies.
C'mon, $7k??!! I'll sell you a Cosworth for that much!! No Merkur (w/ Kelley Blue Book under $1000) is worth that! Or pretty much any 80s car for that matter (Buick GN, 10 sec stangs, exotics not withstanding).

If you still think THAT Merkur is worth that, then please....pass the crack pipe!! :lol:
1986 Sierra Cosworth
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Not saying it's worth seven grand, but I'm definitely saying our cars (in good shape) are worth more than the $500-$1,000 so many on here think they are worth. Really low numbers like that WILL result in more cars being totalled. Not everyone has the wherewithal to rebuild a smashed car, and then of course you have a salvage title, etc.

R-E-S-P-E-C-T, baby... the "self" kind.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

?

Post by Mike McCreight »

(ahem..) One did sell VERY recently for $12,200. Worth every cent. Too bad the Cosworth can't be sold, eh?
Mike.
It's not a hobby, it's an obsession!
KingpinCEO
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KingpinCEO »

hahahahaha :lol: :lol:

free crack.

hahah

he's just tryin to make some money. let him live.
1985 Merkur XR4Ti - 2.5 ranger block greyhound bus turbo
1988 Mercedes Benz 190e - awaiting airbag suspension
2005 Dodge Magnum - 336,000 Mile Daily driver
2008 Subaru Legacy GT - crazy loud boxer rumble
2009 Suzuki GSX650F - crotch rocket

ig: @DJ_Kingpin
Ghost
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Ghost »

XR4Timan wrote:
Ghost wrote:I'm kind of glad to see people asking what the cars are really worth. I'm really tired of everyone expecting to pick up a nicely modded XR for under $1000.
C'mon, $7k??!! I'll sell you a Cosworth for that much!! No Merkur (w/ Kelley Blue Book under $1000) is worth that! Or pretty much any 80s car for that matter (Buick GN, 10 sec stangs, exotics not withstanding).

If you still think THAT Merkur is worth that, then please....pass the crack pipe!! :lol:
No, I probably would not pay $7K for that particular car. However, I don't really care what KBB says - as far as I'm concerned KBB was created to allow insurance companies and dealers to rip people off legally.
I know that I would not sell my XR for anything near $7K. I've had 2 serious offers of $10K for my car and I didn't even consider it. Then again, I know that I have a lot more than that sunk into my car.
BTW, no offense (I do like the cossies) but for $7K I could build an XR that would wipe the floor with a $7K cosworth, considering that for $7K you most likely will get a very close to a stock cossie.
'85 XR4Ti: Stuck in "Project Forever" SC LS swap hell...
Image Image
"All cruelty springs from weakness" - Seneca
XR4Timan
Level 5
Level 5

Post by XR4Timan »

Ghost wrote:BTW, no offense (I do like the cossies) but for $7K I could build an XR that would wipe the floor with a $7K cosworth, considering that for $7K you most likely will get a very close to a stock cossie.
That's right. You can build a Merkur that for $7k kicks Cossie butt. But that's only because you can buy a Merkur for less than $2k. If a typical Merkur sold for $5k, then you wouldn't be able to. Factor just a T5 conversion alone, will wipe out half of your remaining $2k budget.

Perfect example is Taryn's car. Her Merkur will kick Erik's Cosworth (and most other Cossies I know of). However she did spend a pretty penny on that drivetrain. I'm betting more than what Erik bought his Cosworth for.

But a hi-po Merkur does not a Cosworth make. If you were offered $10k for your Merkur, I would definately sell it, becuase to most people (including most Merkur owners) it won't be worth it. The market unfortunately doesn't sway that way (as it would, say a Mustang or GN).

Also do keep in mind that a stock Cosworth is only $1000 away from being a Stage 3 Cosworth producing over 320hp at the wheels. No offense, but more than what your car produces and will have the looks to boot. And the resale value.
Last edited by XR4Timan on Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
1986 Sierra Cosworth
XR4Timan
Level 5
Level 5

Re: ?

Post by XR4Timan »

Mike McCreight wrote:(ahem..) One did sell VERY recently for $12,200. Worth every cent. Too bad the Cosworth can't be sold, eh?
Mike.
I'm not selling my Cosworth. The Cosworth I speak of is any one of the Sapphire Cosworth in England that sell for that much. My Cosworth is not for sale. Cheapest Cosworth-powered car for sale in this country (in driveable order) always goes for over $10k, sometimes $20k. Cheapest Cosworth in Britian sells for 2800 pounds (or $5k). It's usually ridden with rust and running problems for that price. That's a Sapphire. Cheapest 3dr Cosworth in England goes for usually 4k pounds. Roughly over $7000 for a rusty one. Expect to pay $12000 for a nice one. So obviously one in America will not be any cheaper. If anything, more expensive. Roger in Canada was selling his white 3dr Cosworth for over $20k.

I do know a person who paid $12k for a Merkur not to long ago. He has regretted it ever since and has dumped the car. It had only 22k on the odometer and was the most beautiful stock Merkur I ever seen. I was in it, and it was sweet. There are Merkurs worth every penny over $7k but the one I posted is DEFINATELY not one of them.
1986 Sierra Cosworth