Body kit pictures

General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
Merkur Club web site
youngfg
Level 2
Level 2

Body kit pictures

Post by youngfg »

Here are some pictures off the latest body kit/suspension project.

The front will be a SLA setup with 13" brakes with at least 17"X9" wheels and 275/40/17 tires, I might run a 17"X10.5" wheel with 315/35/17 tires. The rear is undecided, but I can run 335/35/17 tires on a 17"X12" wheel.
anglin
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Body kit pictures

Post by anglin »

youngfg wrote:The front will be a SLA setup with 13" brakes with at least 17"X9" wheels and 275/40/17 tires, I might run a 17"X10.5" wheel with 315/35/17 tires.
Wow! This car is quickly becoming one of the most obnoxious (in a good way) XR4Tis on the planet. Any idea what/where you'll be sourcing the SLA setup from? Don't let anyone accuse you of going underboard. You've clearly gone overboard!
Colin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Colin »

WE ARE NOT WORTHY!!! WE ARE NOT WORTHY!!!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Instagram @colinrdoyle
89 Scorpio 2300-16V // 07 F-650 Cummins // 00 Beetle TDI
File to fit, paint to match.
youngfg
Level 2
Level 2

Post by youngfg »

The SLA will use a SN95 Mustang spindle so it will be easy to get huge brakes and tires. I will make a adapter to put a upper ball joint where the strut used to connect. I tracked down some extended lower ball joints from Howe racing to help get the lower control arm down lower so it will make the LCA's easier to build.
The rear is undecided, I don't know how low I can get the rear suspension down to and it still work correctly. Grayson and I have worked out a way to offset bore the lug nut holes on Scorpio hubs to get them to a standard bolt pattern. So I may keep the IRS. If I can't keep the IRS I most likely will go with a cambered 9" ford rear end.
KingpinCEO
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KingpinCEO »

mmmmmmmmmm fiberglass
1985 Merkur XR4Ti - 2.5 ranger block greyhound bus turbo
1988 Mercedes Benz 190e - awaiting airbag suspension
2005 Dodge Magnum - 336,000 Mile Daily driver
2008 Subaru Legacy GT - crazy loud boxer rumble
2009 Suzuki GSX650F - crotch rocket

ig: @DJ_Kingpin
wilky
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wilky »

Wow - hell of a project!! Well done mate & keep us informed of progress please.

Wilky
Seeking relationship with sexy lady Merkur owner (send pic of Merkur).
fast_xr4@yahoo.com
Level 2
Level 2

Post by fast_xr4@yahoo.com »

You are sick. Your car is sick.

I've been thinking about notching the rear frame rails rails to fit larger tires. I've got 225/45 with no rubbing. 300 series? You are a bad man.
'86 XR 340rwhp @ 5k
'05 STi dp, hdr
'05 Freestyle CAI
XR4Timan
Level 5
Level 5

Post by XR4Timan »

Colin wrote:WE ARE NOT WORTHY!!! WE ARE NOT WORTHY!!!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
1986 Sierra Cosworth
http://www.geocities.com/merouby
fastmaul
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fastmaul »

I know some wet the bed thinking about the Thunder Saloon wide body, but I just don't like it no matter if it's on a real cossie or an XR. I know, I'm probably the only one but oh well.
Erik AKA MerkurSport's Bill payer. www.Merkursport.com The virtual Garage. Bring your own nudie calendar. You can now find MerkurSport on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/pages/MerkurSpo ... 5756984607
ShaneXR4Ti
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ShaneXR4Ti »

That car is sick!! I love it. Keep those suspension shots coming!!
1988 Merkur XR4Ti 5-speed
Gillis adj. boost reg. - Forge BOV
Adj. fuel pressure regulator - TC intercooler
Autometer boost/vac. guage & Stoich meter
anglin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by anglin »

fastmaul wrote:I just don't like [the Thundersaloon body panels] no matter if it's on a real cossie or an XR. I know, I'm probably the only one but oh well.
I'm not a huge fan of it either. The whole setup is a little too visually extreme for me and it really smacks of the 80's. I do tend to like it more on a car that is done up in racing livery than on a car that is one solid color and no other interest.

At any rate, it makes monster tires easy to do. In fact, from what I've heard and seen of it, it might make it hard to get tires that are wide enough! I'll take it as a function-over-form creation and leave it at that. I'll be doing flares when I'm ready for 245s.
Colin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Colin »

As far as widebodies go, the Thunder Saloon is very reserved in its styling... well, once those disgusting strakes are removed, that is. ;)

All in all, it's not bad... just a little crazy for a street car.
Instagram @colinrdoyle
89 Scorpio 2300-16V // 07 F-650 Cummins // 00 Beetle TDI
File to fit, paint to match.
fastmaul
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fastmaul »

Yep Agree with you both Anglin and Colin...
I'm guessing that the best and easiest to do to get those super wide tires would be to go that route?

I think the Thundersaloon shoulld be either a very clean, almost show car look (like Widebody XR's) or a straight up race car.

Anglin the 245's are they for the front or rear? (forgive the question...It's late and I can't sleep LOL..grrrr)
Erik AKA MerkurSport's Bill payer. www.Merkursport.com The virtual Garage. Bring your own nudie calendar. You can now find MerkurSport on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/pages/MerkurSpo ... 5756984607
XR4Timan
Level 5
Level 5

Post by XR4Timan »

anglin wrote:I'm not a huge fan of it either. The whole setup is a little too visually extreme for me and it really smacks of the 80's.
Even more reason. What's wrong with the 80s? It is the most awesome era and we are driving 80s cars, designed in the late 70s. First of the jellymold cars.

I'm gonna put on my Raybans now & my Miami Vice outfit before I go out with my Testarossa. 8)
1986 Sierra Cosworth
http://www.geocities.com/merouby
anglin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by anglin »

fastmaul wrote:Anglin the 245's are they for the front or rear?
Both front and rear. That size tire should provide excellent grip, moderately priced light wheels, and not require hugely extensive work to make them function. The rear should be easy. The front is going to be significantly harder, but still doable.

XR4Timan wrote:What's wrong with the 80s? It is the most awesome era and we are driving 80s cars, designed in the late 70s. First of the jellymold cars.

I'm gonna put on my Raybans now & my Miami Vice outfit before I go out with my Testarossa. 8)
The 80's were just an ugly time. Fashion, hair styles, car (and body kits) with strakes and breakdancing (I remember a breakdancing exhibition during the 7th inning stretch at an Astros game, for pete's sake). The 80's were so ugly that the ugly bled over into the early 90s. BTW, the Raybans are my poster child for 80's ugly. Everytime I think of Raybans I remember that guy on the commercial doing his freestyle rap about the Raybans. No, wait, that was Blu-blockers! See! The ugly just mashes together into one big lump in my head.