Merkur Parts Midwest

General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
Merkur Club web site
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Merkur Parts Midwest

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Who/what is Merkur Parts Midwest? :shock: First I heard of it/them was the reference in the article about Valerie, MCA's No. 200. What do they sell; how do they sell it (website?):?:

YMMV 8)
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

?

Post by Mike McCreight »

Jeff Herson. blug@msn.com
Keeps a low profile, but a great guy.
It's not a hobby, it's an obsession!
Chuck W
Level 7
Level 7

Re: ?

Post by Chuck W »

Mike McCreight wrote:Jeff Herson. blug@msn.com
Keeps a low profile, but a great guy.
Correction blugg@msn.com
"Strange women, lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power is derived from a mandate from the masses, not from some farsical aquatic ceremony."
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

!

Post by Mike McCreight »

Oops!
Thanks, Chuck!
MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo »

Hmmm. I've never heard of him. :?
3" mandrel bent exhaust, Ported/Polished head, 1.89/1.57 valves, Gutted uppper/Knife edge lower intake, T3/T4, LA3, Big VAM, Cold air intake, 40bob header, Gillis valve, Forge BOV, Mustang SVO T5, Conquest intercooler, 20psi.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

So, what does he have for sale?

YMMV 8)
Chuck W
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Chuck W »

MerkXRTurbo wrote:Hmmm. I've never heard of him. :?
Oh...well then he must be a figment of my imagination if YOU haven't heard of him... :P

Ed, I'm not sure specifically. I've gotten a thing or two from him in general take-off parts and I know I have seen him on ebay as well. Just got a "new" dash for the Scorpio from him a couple weeks ago

Drop Jeff and email and ask him.
"Strange women, lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power is derived from a mandate from the masses, not from some farsical aquatic ceremony."
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mike McCreight »

Oh...well then he must be a figment of my imagination if YOU haven't heard of him... :P

:lol: :lol: :lol:
merkurmaniac
Level 5
Level 5

Post by merkurmaniac »

I was unfamiliar with the name "merkur Parts Midwest" but I am familiar with blugg@msn or the name Jeff Herson. From my experience and from what I see him offer on eBay, he appears to be a Merkur enthusiast and butcher (in the best sense of the word.) He offers "restored" parts on eBay that look to be well sandblasted and repainted to look like new or perhaps better than new. He speaks Merkur and is willing to find and ship small parts that you might need for a restoration, that others are unwilling to do or don't know about. Color me a happy customer. He is quick to respond and quick to ship. I have a Scorpio ignition lock coming from him right now.

Richard "merkurmaniac" Thompson
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

OK, Richard; I'll bite (so to speak LOL): where does the use of the word butcher in a good sense come from? Never heard of that. Your message that Herson is great resource comes through loud and clear, but....I'm still visualizing sausage being made.

Is it a Texas "thing"? You know, with all the cattle and deer and prime cuts?

YMMV 8)
merkurmaniac
Level 5
Level 5

Post by merkurmaniac »

Hey, realisticaly we know that some XR's must die so that others may live. Some die a violent death (wreck) and a unattended funeral (crushed in a junkyard, and off to become a friderator without any merkheads ever knowing.) Lots of good parts become scrap iron this way.

But, I like to think that most get put out to pasture and die a gentle death (sit undriven for years and become a parts car.) Parts car butchers cut out any useable parts so that others can transplant them and keep the breed alive. I am a traveling car parts butcher. I have saved lots of good stuff from the crusher at pic-a-parts in Houston.

Thanks to guys who do this, i can find the small geetus covering trim piece, or that Merkur specific exhaust hanger bearing. Instead of a dumb look followed by a "no-gotta", I can get a "I hear ya brother" and a "I know, those screws are hard to find since they are so unusual."

Merkur Butchers serve a valuable purpose in todays Merkur society. I proudly count myself as one. Nothing worse that seeing good XR parts go to the trash heap. It was like that episode of TopGear when the crushed a Sierra. Someone commented that "The Bastards, there were still some good window switches in it !!"
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

?

Post by Mike McCreight »

I don't think Jeff has pre-maturely ended the life of any viable XRs. He's got a small herd of them at his shop. Another mutual friend and enthusiast, Jim Wichert, has resurrected several cars. Between the two of them, they're doing a LOT to keep cars on the road, and local friends and customers VERY happy. :D
jasonty
Level 6
Level 6

Re: ?

Post by jasonty »

ive bought some parts from jeff yrs ago when he was in NoVA. he always told me about his stash in the midwest. good guy from my experiences.

Mike McCreight wrote:I don't think Jeff has pre-maturely ended the life of any viable XRs. He's got a small herd of them at his shop. Another mutual friend and enthusiast, Jim Wichert, has resurrected several cars. Between the two of them, they're doing a LOT to keep cars on the road, and local friends and customers VERY happy. :D
jason yancey
stephens city va
87XR-88XR
NOVAMOG

"as long as you keep picking on me I will tend to mad post about me getting mad......"
Scruffdog73
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Scruffdog73 »

First of all, I'd like to say thanks to Mike (once again) and Richard for the props...

I met Jeff a couple years ago now, from a listing I won on eBay....A power steering pump I think. This guy has all the ambition in the world. Heck, I've seen him take stuff off his driver to keep a customer happy! He's kept more than a dozen cars at a time at the shop, all because it was a better fate to remove parts from dead cars(mostly rust/collision damage) than to see them get crushed. There's "feelers" out to the local junk yards, tow companies, etc., that when they come across an otherwise unwanted member of our bretheren, to contact us to come get it. Same thing with locals(well, if you call east of Detroit local!) When they're done, we come get 'em...Simple as that. As for me, I've long had an affinity with these cars, as some of you already know..LOL!!

As of late, We've been trying to "tighten" things up around the shop. There is much better time management involved in being able to go get something off of a shelf than to trudge out in the cold/snow to crawl underneath a car for that 8mm bolt that holds the filler tube to the fuel tank. (BTDT) So, we've been dismantling a few where the rockers and floors were rotted out, and still another couple that sustained heavy crash damage.

There is, and will never be, stripping of good solid runners here. As far as getting everything off of them? There are 46 spot welds in each fender, 8 diff type of trim screws in the interior, and why the hell did'nt they put connectors at the front of the car for the harness?!?!? LOL!!! We've even cut the back half of roofs off for the guys who want to remove their sunroof... More spotwelds, and a big pain in the &^%&^%!

I did'nt acknowledge Valerie's letter because I'm just that way. I said a huge thanks to her, and left it at that. I have indeed gotten a few back on the road, and maintained many more. The best one of late goes like this;

A gentleman that has been taking his car to the same guy for 9 years. An 85 XR with 56k on it, just a beautiful car....Anyway, coolant leak, and dropped it off to them. They called him back, told him the head was bad, and it's gonna be $3k to fix. He called (Rapido) Russ Harness to see if there was a mechanic in the area, through another customer, 2 days later we went and picked up the car. Turned out it was a $8 dollar coolant hose. $8 bucks. What do you guys think would have happened to this car, had it not been diagnosed correctly? Ah, I digress....

We've also been getting into sandblasting/powdercoating to preserve the parts we've been removing. Front suspension, engine plumbing, accessories, etc., Not only for appearance, but longevity. After this stuff is powdercoated, you can hit it with a hammer, and it does'nt come off. Who would'nt like that piece of mind? We're already working on a larger oven to be able to do rear trailing arms, beam, etc.,

We sell mostly by word of mouth, but that's changing. Jeff just sent me the infant home page of MPM, and it looks promising. The bottom line here guys, and I believe I'm speaking for the both of us, is we're just chasing a dream. We'd love to see Merkur Parts Midwest survive AND thrive, this is what we love to do :) We both love cars, and this one in particular. We have'nt come across a Merkur problem yet that either of us has'nt seen, and could'nt remedy.

So, to get that one l-o-n-g self-tapping screw that goes in the kick panels, because none of the others work, to getting the suspension powdercoated on your XR/Scorpio, just give us a call :)

Thanks for the time,

Jim Wichert
(630) 728-3453

Jeff Herson
(571) 334-4049

Merkur Parts Midwest
2300 Green Bay Rd.
North Chicago, IL 60064
"Ouch! @&$^%!!! Another knuckle buster!"
merkurmaniac
Level 5
Level 5

Post by merkurmaniac »

I had to chuckle when I read that, since I took out the 8mm bolt that holds the filler tube support piece to the gas tank not two days ago. Sometimes, when I am working on my car, i wonder how many guys out there are doing nearly the same thing at the same time.

Sooo... Who pulled out the diff from under their car last night ? I did. LOL. I didn't put it back, and I will have all day at work to think about how much of a beotch it was to get in back in last time.

Which brings me to diff mounts. How does one tell if it has gone bad if it is not torn ? Can the scorpio diff mount be used on the XR, specifically from an 88 Scorp into an 87 XR ?