Today at Jiffy Lube...

General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
Merkur Club web site
El Diablo
Level 2
Level 2

Today at Jiffy Lube...

Post by El Diablo »

Well today I went to Jiffy Lube. Not for my vehicles, I had to bring in 3 vehicles from work for oil changes. So while I was waiting. I asked the head grease monkey if anybody with a 2.3 turbo has ever come through and what do they get. He said something to the point of, he's seen lots and they all got 20/50 and raved about it. I got to thinking, 20/50 is offly thick. The guy that i bought my XR from(the orignal owner) said he only ran 10/40 in it since he bought it new. So I guess what I'm getting at is, does anyone have any thoughts about this and, what does everybody else use in their cars.
Phil
85 XR4Ti Cossie sway bars, 3" exhaust
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

?

Post by Mike McCreight »

Mobil 1 15-50!
It's not a hobby, it's an obsession!
Reno3133
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Reno3133 »

woah woah woah 15-50...

i've been using 10-30... am i putting the wrong one in my cars?? :shock:
Grayson
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Grayson »

Nah, Ford recommends using 10W-30 in the XR, and there is nothing wrong with using it. Some people like to tinker with other grades, but there is no reason to believe that an engine running 10W-30 will somehow perform poorly. In contrast, I can think one or two reasons why not running 10W-30 could lead to poor performance.
Colin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Colin »

I run Partsmaster 5w30 (It's bottled by Ashland... basically the same stuff as Valvoline.) I think I'm going to switch to straight 30w on the next oil change, though. According to Maximum Boost, "In general, it is best to avoid wide-range, multiviscosity oils, as the materials added that create the multiviscosity capability are the same materials that cause [turbo bearing] coking." Granted, my copy of the book is about a decade old, so there may have been some changes in the composition of multiviscosity oils... but I'm still going to steer clear. Gotta do what I can, as the HX35 does not have a water-cooled center section.

Colin
Instagram @colinrdoyle
89 Scorpio 2300-16V // 07 F-650 Cummins // 00 Beetle TDI
File to fit, paint to match.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

The engine was build and tested to run best with 10W-30. Any thicker oil will cause the engine to work harder, and maybe at reduced performance effect. Thinner oil could/could compromise some bearing surfaces. So, why would you go differently, either way?

Me? Wal-Mart's synthetic 10W-30. Always and only. :wink:

YMMV 8)
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Corky is correct (in this case), and it's especially true of conventional oils - a 10W-40 conventional oil is a bad idea for a turbo motor. The further the spread, the more crap they need to dump in, but that's 2-3X so with a convention oil vs. synthetic. And I haven't even touched on the higher flash point of a synthetic, which clearly favors a synthetic oil in a turbo motor.

I don't know that I'd go so far as a straight 30W in MN though Colin. I realize you probably won't be driving the car in January, but don't you want to be driving it in November without having to let it warm up forever first?

Finally, back to the initial post.... Getting car advise from someone at Jiffy Lube is like getting advise on open heart surgery from the dude working the grill at Waffle House.
Brad
jasonty
Level 6
Level 6

Post by jasonty »

hey now, dont forget we all have a little buddy that works there :lol:

DPDISXR4Ti wrote: Getting car advise from someone at Jiffy Lube is like getting advise on open heart surgery from the dude working the grill at Waffle House.
jason yancey
stephens city va
87XR-88XR
NOVAMOG

"as long as you keep picking on me I will tend to mad post about me getting mad......"
brmcandy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by brmcandy »

Is he still around................dare I ask?
Candy
1988 mono white XR4Ti

DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

brmcandy wrote:
Is he still around................dare I ask?
Last I heard he was telling everyone he had a girlfriend in AZ by the name of Candy. :mrgreen:
Brad
Colin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Colin »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:I don't know that I'd go so far as a straight 30W in MN though Colin. I realize you probably won't be driving the car in January, but don't you want to be driving it in November without having to let it warm up forever first?
November? Hell no - there's snow on the ground halfway through October. Plus, I always let the car warm up for a little while before driving it, and wait til it gets to 160+ until I really get into boost. It's worth the wait. :lol:

Colin
Instagram @colinrdoyle
89 Scorpio 2300-16V // 07 F-650 Cummins // 00 Beetle TDI
File to fit, paint to match.
brmcandy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by brmcandy »

Last I heard he was telling everyone he had a girlfriend in AZ by the name of Candy.

:lol: He is young enough to be my grandson :!: I just wondered why the board was not plastered with posts lately.....I did not know if he got banned, maybe gave his debit card to the wrong girl for pizza, or maybe got beaten up by a jealous husband. I hate to see anybody get hurt. :roll:
Candy
1988 mono white XR4Ti

DereX
Level 2
Level 2

Post by DereX »

Ive always used 5-30 maybe I'll switch to 10-30 next oil change.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:Corky is correct (in this case), and it's especially true of conventional oils - a 10W-40 conventional oil is a bad idea for a turbo motor. The further the spread, the more crap they need to dump in, but that's 2-3X so with a convention oil vs. synthetic. And I haven't even touched on the higher flash point of a synthetic, which clearly favors a synthetic oil in a turbo motor.
Well, that has the weight, er viscosity, of blather. Would I use 10W-40? If the owner's manual indicates it can be done under certain conditions, yes. Bottom line: the Owner's Manual is the guide on this; its recommendations were the result of extensive and rigorous testing and based on more than foam:

"San Antonio: Where automakers go to approve engine oil"
http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/st ... 0f617.html

YMMV 8)
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!