So long

General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
Merkur Club web site
XR$Ti

So long

Post by XR$Ti »

Well,

after 10yrs of XR ownership and 12 yrs of online mailing list involvement, it's with mixed feelings that I announce I've sold my XR and that it's time for me to move on (Manotick Mike picked it up and already has a target car for the pristine black leather interior).

So I've been lurking for the last several years, but allow me to reminisce -- I remember joining the original Merkur email list back in '94 (here's a bit of trivia -- do any of you remember who the guy was that started the very first Merkur email list? [answer below]).

I ran a technical archive website for a couple of years in the mid-90s which had 20k hits over the 2 yrs it was up -- don't laugh, that's not bad given a rare marquis and the state of the internet in '95-'97!

Anyways, I just wanted to say thanks to a truly unique community that is undoubtedly the single-most reason why these vehicles are still on the road today.

Good-bye and I wish you all the best in your endeavours to keep the Merkur alive.

Evan
xr4ti@sympatico.ca

PS The guy who started it all? Worthy of the highest Merkur honor, a gentleman by the name of John Grow.
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Best of luck to you, and don't forget:

"You can check out any time you like,
But you can never leave."
:twisted:
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

?

Post by Mike McCreight »

Yup.
I have every confidence Evan will be back... It's in the blood! :D
It's not a hobby, it's an obsession!
Rooster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rooster »

i wish you the best of luck on your next car or truck
-Rooster..
1985 Merkur XR4Ti "New plan"
1986 Merkur XR4Ti Stock, Low miles unmodded will be that way 4ever
1989 Merkur Scorpio white and Tan "Casper" Daily Driven
XR$Ti

Post by XR$Ti »

BTW, the only thing I found that could match the XR for its versatility in people/cargo hauling and fun factor (ok, a different kind of fun), is my new ride -- an Expedition.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Wow, what a flash-back Evan! In my early days of Merkur ownership, I used to reference your compilation of e-mails on a regular basis - didn't even need to turn the computer on to do so, as I had PRINTED the entire thing, and to this day, I have it in a couple of jumbo 3-ring binders! :shock: (I guess I wasn't too sure if this computer thing was going to catch on or not :dunno )

Paul West and I have talked about who the original list-owner was - indeed, I think John Grow was the name he mentioned. I believe John handed it off to Ryan Donovan, "Mr. May the Boost be with you", but I'm not sure of that.

Hang in here if you'd like - you're certainly welcome! I'm sure Mike will hook you up with another car soon any way! :haha
Brad
XR$Ti

Post by XR$Ti »

Hi Brad,

I don't frequent the board much but after seeing your userid, I knew it was you!

Yeah, I think a few trees died over the archives getting printed out. I have to say though, the best download was the DOS-based Merkur simulation from the Ford dealers. Now that was a piece of history!

As for list evolution, what happened is it ran unmaintained as John had fallen off the face of the earth. I thought Roland had taken it over from there but maybe Ryan hosted for a while inbetween.

This place is pretty neat -- maybe I will stick around for a bit... or return some day.
DPDISXR4Ti wrote:Wow, what a flash-back Evan! In my early days of Merkur ownership, I used to reference your compilation of e-mails on a regular basis - didn't even need to turn the computer on to do so, as I had PRINTED the entire thing, and to this day, I have it in a couple of jumbo 3-ring binders! :shock: (I guess I wasn't too sure if this computer thing was going to catch on or not :dunno )

Paul West and I have talked about who the original list-owner was - indeed, I think John Grow was the name he mentioned. I believe John handed it off to Ryan Donovan, "Mr. May the Boost be with you", but I'm not sure of that.

Hang in here if you'd like - you're certainly welcome! I'm sure Mike will hook you up with another car soon any way! :haha