Idea: 2.3L Turbo Diesel conversion

General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
Merkur Club web site
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Some additional info I've come across over the last couple days.... The 2.3 TD used in the '85 - '87 Ranger was a Mitsubishi motor that used the Astron platform - you can read more about it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Astron_engine

What's interesting is that the TD version of this motor was used for years, and as such, got all sorts of evolutionary updates including, most recently, Direct Injection. Given the active trade of "JDM" importers in the USA and Canada, you could bring in one of these 2.5L DI versions of this motor for as little as $500. The 5-speed from a Mitsu Starion could be used behind it, given that that also used a version of the Astron motor. I mention this application specifically since it's a car, so the odds of it fitting properly in a XR are better than a truck tranny, I would hope that it's reasonably strong (given that it was behind a turbo motor), plus the shifter spacing has a better chance of being correct. And oh yea, you can find them here in junkyards in the USA. No JDM importer required. :)

Just "bench engineering" at this point, but figured I'd share my findings in case someone wants to take off on the path ahead of me.
Brad
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Re: Idea: 2.3L Turbo Diesel conversion

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Brad
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Idea: 2.3L Turbo Diesel conversion

Post by thesameguy »

Another option, if one were inclined, is a VAG turbodiesel. RWDmotorsports (same place I got my Saab engine -> T5 bell housing) makes an adapter to put the ALH (aka "1.9tdi") in front of a T5. The ALH can be tuned via CAN and once the immobilizer is disabled can run factory fuel injection without any body components... no BCM or MIU. The ALH is good for an easy 200hp/350lb ft with commonly available mods, and can go further with internal work. If one wanted a diesel XR4Ti, a software+turbo tuned ALH with a T5 is probably the easiest & cheapest way to get there.
eaton53
Level 6
Level 6

Re:

Post by eaton53 »

Grayson wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:36 am <-- envisioning a Powerstroke diesel in an XR....
I want to see one roll some coal.
Mark Copeland - I'm 50 miles west of Kewanee, IL

'89 XR4Ti
Car was the 2014 MCA Merkur Preservation Award Winner
'89 Scorpio
This one has a very bright and shiny future.
Proud member of the Iowa-Illinois Merkur Owner's Association since 2015. :cheers