Carlisle 2004...wet but still GREAT!

Discussion topics related exclusively to our annual gathering in Carlisle PA on June 4-6, 2004.
Merkur Club web site
tannehilln
Level 4
Level 4

Post by tannehilln »

If we go back can we get a room for Dinner without a boombox wedding on the other side of the paper wall.

In the world of security woes I found it hard to believe that the hotel had so little lighting in the parking lot. Even someone taking a header and sueing over the dark conditions.

In the long run we have had and no doubt will always have complaints about the Hotel we use. Several long time attendees said go back to the Holiday Inn.
webmaster
Site Admin

Post by webmaster »

The problem with the Holiday Inn is that it does not have inside banquet facilities.

A lot of work went into hotel selection and this will start all over again in a few months. I will not however have a banquet arrangement that is dependant on the weather being good!

Paul
jasonty
Level 6
Level 6

Post by jasonty »

paul
your right i forgot about the outside dinning--it was nice, but very weather dependant

quote="webmaster"]The problem with the Holiday Inn is that it does not have inside banquet facilities.
jason yancey
stephens city va
87XR-88XR
NOVAMOG

"as long as you keep picking on me I will tend to mad post about me getting mad......"
uroford

Post by uroford »

I seem to remember sharing the bathrooms with a wedding reception the year that we had it in that little courtyard under tents, there are no ballrooms in that hotel?

-Steve
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

For you single guys, don't forget; where's there's weddings, there's bridesmaids... :wink:

I thought the hotel was nice, and convenient to the Fairgrounds, and the dinner was very nice as well. Also, the pool, Jacuzzi and saunas were nice, especially after a rainy day. So I do appreciate the hard work that went into the selection. I did think it was rather far-flung (especially upon arriving after a sleepless night on the plane and humping my luggage to the room-- the hotel should have helped out with that); and some people did get separated from the main group, which itself was separated into the two main buildings, so that made it difficult to socialize en masse. If we could all be put into the same building, it would be a lot better, although the parking lot party seems to be very important to a lot of regular attendees, and that deserves attention.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
fastmaul
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fastmaul »

John for past years that I've gone, the Hotel is as big a highlight as the showgrounds! :lol:

Paul, The liberty State Park BBQ will be in August again this year.
We most likely have it on Sunday the 15th. 8)
Colin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Colin »

What's the big deal with the parking lot, anyway? Forgive the n00bness, but I've obviously never attended a Carlisle.

Colin
Instagram @colinrdoyle
89 Scorpio 2300-16V // 07 F-650 Cummins // 00 Beetle TDI
File to fit, paint to match.
fastmaul
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fastmaul »

Colin wrote:What's the big deal with the parking lot, anyway? Forgive the n00bness, but I've obviously never attended a Carlisle.

Colin
You just answered your own question, you'll never know until you attend. :wink:
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

fastmaul wrote:
Colin wrote:What's the big deal with the parking lot, anyway? Forgive the n00bness, but I've obviously never attended a Carlisle.

Colin
You just answered your own question, you'll never know until you attend. :wink:
Think: Nightfall/darkness, booze, lessening of inhibitions, machismo, camaraderie, story-telling, one-ups-manship, mine-is-bigger-than-yours homones releasing, mob fever....all in a contained off-street area. All the ingredients for males to be males. :shock: :roll:
fastmaul
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fastmaul »

Ahhh Ed, boys will be boys :lol: Saying that, It was really cool meeting you! Damn, I forgot to take a picture of you next to the "Mustard" XR! hahahaha. I'm guessing by your choice of headwear that you ride a Harley? 8)
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

It is Good to be a boy! :wink:
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
mhamilton
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mhamilton »

Taylor rental center is right down the road on the way to the showfield (Rte. 11?) :idea: Why don't we rent or get the hotel to rent generator-powered lights. I am sure they have lights we need, the type a construction crew would rent. If that is done, can we get the MCA in one area of the hotel?

That is the most simple solution I can think of.... :lol:

If we are in one area, we won't need to share the parking lot with those who don't want to hear the audio wizardry from the New York/New Jersey convoy.

And the fake club of the new Thunderbirds, talk about an easy way out for a showcar!
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

fastmaul wrote:Ahhh Ed, boys will be boys :lol: Saying that, It was really cool meeting you! Damn, I forgot to take a picture of you next to the "Mustard" XR! hahahaha. I'm guessing by your choice of headwear that you ride a Harley? 8)
Hey, my Carlisle highlight was meeting Ms. Major General Fastmaul [and then meeting the Major General Fastmaul hisself, was behind that but still in the running!]. :D ! You, sir, have excellent taste.

As for my choice of ride , I go against the grain with motorcycles as well as cars-- like everyone I love Harley-Davidsons but not enough to part with the major part of my IRA and weekly disposable income to own one. I've got two bikes: a Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 VN SE and a Honda Pacific Coast [PC-800]. I ride the PC-800 most of the time because it's such a sweet all-around bike, and it has a trunk! I've got almost 110K miles on it now. The Vulcan was and is my original chopper and it resembles a Harley Softail Custom.

BTW, seeing Major General Fastmaul at work on the cellphone sitting in the power seat under the tent on the showfield, bouncing the fair Taryn on his knee while also juggling another distant business deal only served to increase his reputation and admirers. I was in AWE!
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

This is being forwarded from my fiance whom accompanied me this year to Carlisle.
-Mike

[Altough it was cold and rainy, I had a lot of fun this year. Starting from the Friday morning convoy, I met a lot of ... interesting people. Wilky and Ben- I learned a lot about Canada...like they have Will and Grace there! Drinking Friday night and Saturday (the entire day) was a blast. Damn Canadian kept falling asleep in my friend's bed! Oh- and nice little bouncy icon girl you got there Ben! Thanks Mark for telling me about Jeremy, that he had a bunch of beer. I went around the entire lot asking everyone if they were Jeremy. BTW - thanks Jeremy for the alcohol! It was nice meeting you Erik- your wife is absolutely gorgeous.
Well, I hope to see a lot of you again at Mike's summer gathering - I'll be barbecuing. Do they have BBQ's in Canada?! :) ...and ofcourse there'll be drinks there too...
-Jennifer (which you all probably know me as Mike Oyler's girlfriend)]
fastmaul
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fastmaul »

Ed L. Fankyoo Very much!! the Ms Major General Fastmaul is actually I am well please to say the Mrs. General Fastmaul :lol: I amaze myself sometimes at how I got so lucky!!!(I didn't mention she has amnesia did I? and she thinks I'm Johnny Depp!) :lol: Talking with Ed, Taryn on my knee, chatting with Simon and I get a phone call from my friend Andy in England asking me how's the show. 8)
Ed, the PC800 is a great cruising bike! Vulcan 1500? you like big engines huh? :lol:

I like rice burners myself, but I've always had a softspot for the Milwakee's best :wink:

Mike Girlfriend! Very nice meeting you..sorry about bringing out the pictures and holding you up from eating while Mike was feeding his eyes. 8) Thank you for the kind words on Taryn :oops: