Important Carlisle 2004 Hotel Information

Discussion topics related exclusively to our annual gathering in Carlisle PA on June 4-6, 2004.
Merkur Club web site
webmaster
Site Admin

Important Carlisle 2004 Hotel Information

Post by webmaster »

13 December 2003.
Some big news from the Merkur Club of America, just in time for the holidays!

After a considerable amount of negotiation, we are making the big step up that everyone has been asking for. Our host hotel for "Merkurs at Carlisle 2004" will be the Carlisle Clarion Hotel & Convention Center, located less than four miles from the Carlisle Fairgrounds!
But wait, there's more good news... At $95/night, the room rate will be $1 LESS than last year, and a continental breakfast will still be provided at no additional charge Saturday and Sunday mornings!
It's not too early to go ahead and make your room reservation now. Just call the Clarion reservation line at 800.692.7315, and let them know you want the Merkur Club group rate. You can arrive early or stay late and still get the discounted rate, although I imagine most of us will primarily be interested in Friday and Saturday night accommodations.  
Here's the dates for your reference - yes, it's less than six months away!
Friday June 4
Saturday June 5
Sunday June 6

More details will be announced over the coming months, but I wanted everyone to be aware of the date now so you can put it on your 2004 calendar and make your room reservation.

Brad Anesi events@merkurclub.com
Director of Event Coordination
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

The $95 rate is for up to two people per room, your choice of either a single queen or two full size beds. Technically, there's a $10 charge for each adult in a room over two. :roll:
wilky
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wilky »

What about the most important feature of the hotel - the car park! Last year's hotel was great in that we could dominate a whole area.

Wilky
mhamilton
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mhamilton »

My exact question...What kind of parking lot will we have?

The Carlisle Bug is bitting earlier every year! :D
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

We will have a block of rooms clustered together and parking immediately nearby to claim as ours. :D

Funny thing is, I've had just as many people asking if they'd be able to get a room "away from the action". Our population is "graying"... :)
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

Might be because we never know when to stop drinking or when to go to bed :wink:
On that note, the hotel at night is one of my favorite parts about Carlisle - all the Merkurs/people are in one place & no chance of sunburn at 1:00am in the parking lot!
wilky
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wilky »

Some time ago someone suggested having one of the seminars in the hotel car park - I think thats a great idea. Any thoughts on this folks??

Wilky
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

wilky wrote:Some time ago someone suggested having one of the seminars in the hotel car park - I think thats a great idea. Any thoughts on this folks??
The problem is lighting and protection from the weather, if needed, but I won't say it's not possible. We're going to do the club meeting Sunday morning this year, so Friday night might be possible.
PDenbigh
Level 2
Level 2

Schedule of events?

Post by PDenbigh »

I want to attend, but I don't know that I'll be able to come for two nights. Is there a tentative schedule of events for the Merkur side of things? Seminars, dinners, etc. (This would be my first Carlisle with you guys!).

Thanks!

Peter 8)
www.85xr.com
Peter Denbigh

http://www.85xr.com
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Saturday night would be the one to stay over since the dinner will be at the hotel that night, but the large majority of the folks arrive Friday afternoon and then depart on Sunday afternoon. Some folks split a room to reduce the effective cost of two nights to one night. Feel free to start a new thread and post such a request if you'd like.
webmaster
Site Admin

Post by webmaster »

Agreed, if it has to be one night, then arrive Saturday morning - early and stay through Sunday.

Sharing a room with a fellow attendee is a great way to save the hotel expense.

Paul
richardcurtis
Level 6
Level 6

Post by richardcurtis »

Heck, if you're gonna share a room, ask for a rollaway and share with two other people = ~$35/night.
Richard Curtis
Fairfax Station, Va. '89XR (gone to a new home but not forgotten)
pyropete125
Level 7
Level 7

Post by pyropete125 »

i hear that carlisle is pretty crazy, im definatly looking forward to going for the first tie this year. a guy i sold some parts to said that the merkur owners win something like te largest turnout or something every yera. is that true?

any first timer advice?

thanks,
pete

im not sure if ill be taking my merk though, seems like im lucking to have it run well for a few blocks let alone across 4 states :roll: with the new motor going in, it will be soooo much in gas.
89 xr4ti, LOTS'O'MODS. PICS OF MY XR, FOLVO STUFF, AND...
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

pyropete125 wrote:i hear that carlisle is pretty crazy, im definatly looking forward to going for the first tie this year. a guy i sold some parts to said that the merkur owners win something like te largest turnout or something every yera. is that true?
any first timer advice?
im not sure if ill be taking my merk though, seems like im lucking to have it run well for a few blocks let alone across 4 states :roll: with the new motor going in, it will be soooo much in gas.
Yes, Carlisle is the place to be if you own a Merkur. Last year, for the first time in several years, we "only" had ~120 cars there, so we took home the second place trophy instead of 1st. But really, that's not what it's all about. It's all about hanging out with a bunch of people with similar interests, and the sheer "shock and awe" of seeing over a hundred Merkurs in one place, when you figured there were no more than a handful still on the road! :D For those of us more technically inclined, the number of different mods to see is enough to make your head spin - be sure to bring your digital camera!

You have no excuse not to have your car ready. 8) June 4th is still five months away for cryin' out load! Last year, I didn't have my engine installed until a week before the event. It had 30 miles on it when I left. Two years before that, I was doing a Master Cylinder change and big brake upgrade the night before I left. Dimitri was late one year because he had to change a camshaft on the side of the Long Island Expressway. You need to show up with the Fiero manual steering rack installed and have installation kits available for purchase. These are your orders. :)
pyropete125
Level 7
Level 7

Post by pyropete125 »

the fiero manual steering adapter is 1/2 done and a lot more work than i thought it would be unfortunatly, but that mainly due to me not being a machinist and not knowing where everything is in the machine shop.

if im having as much trouble with a mostly stock motor running, i cant imagine how its going to be with +150 hp...

im 99% sure ill be there. :lol:

pete
89 xr4ti, LOTS'O'MODS. PICS OF MY XR, FOLVO STUFF, AND...