florida merkur owners

Discussion of events in the South, roughly defined as the southeastern seaboard to Texas.
Merkur Club web site
worked_xr
Level 7
Level 7

Post by worked_xr »

I'll be moving to Sarasota in June ('09) so there will be one more active XR on the streets.
Goumba

Post by Goumba »

I'm new here. I live north of Tampa in New Port Richey. My car will probably spend most of its time at the shop that I work at in Tampa. I will be entering my xr in autocross. rallycross, and track events soon. Does anyone else in Florida do any of these events? I don't remember ever seeing or hearing of a merkur competing.
1991 Miata-2015 SCCA rallycross champion Mod Rear
2005 RX8
1986 XR4TI
1996 F350
1997 Impreza coupe

John Lambert
worked_xr
Level 7
Level 7

Post by worked_xr »

That's not your XR on Tampa craigslist for sale is it? Either way, I think $1000 is bit steep as it sits. But of course, I got very used to the PNW pricing where they range from reasonable to free.

In any case, I'll be doing auto-x, road racing, and some rallycross (if I can find some within a reasonable driving distance), so you might see mine at some events.
John V
Level 7
Level 7

Post by John V »

worked_xr wrote:That's not your XR on Tampa craigslist for sale is it? Either way, I think $1000 is bit steep as it sits. But of course, I got very used to the PNW pricing where they range from reasonable to free.

In any case, I'll be doing auto-x, road racing, and some rallycross (if I can find some within a reasonable driving distance), so you might see mine at some events.
Show him the brakes....muw ha ha ha!!!!
John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle WA USA
CALL =-> (206) 431-9696 <-= CALL

http://www.rallyrace.net/jvab/
Goumba

Post by Goumba »

I did get the one on Craigs list, but I paid much, much less. I didn't get the seats with it because they're not sfi or fia rated. He was trying to get an extra couple of hundred for those alone. Where are you located? I can point you in the right direction as far as any motorsports event. I work with the guy who hosts the Tampa rally events. Tampa racing also list most of the events going on in Florida.
2005 RX8
1986 XR4TI
1996 F350
1997 Impreza coupe

John Lambert
worked_xr
Level 7
Level 7

Post by worked_xr »

Good that you got it for less than $1k... way too much, and those seats were total $#!%. I wouldn't trust them for more than a DIY home simulator setup.

I'm in Sarasota and am aware of the Gulf Coast auto-x group, and I know SCCA runs road race events, but as far as I can tell, there just isn't much of a rally/rallycross scene in the area. If there is stuff in the Tampa area, I'm definitely interested. But with family commitments, a new house, and dissertation, I'm not likely to travel more than an hour each way.

I do get to the Brandon/Riverview area regularly, so perhaps we can meet up at some point.
Goumba

Post by Goumba »

Hey Wyatt, your in luck. Have you ever heard of Tampa rally? The guy that I sometimes work for runs tsd and rallycross events here in the Tampa bay area. There's nothing planned until the weather cools down a little, but there should be a rallycross at east bay raceway in the not too distant future. It's located just south of Tampa in the small town of gibsonton. It's a laid back crowd and you should get no less than eight two minute runs. Sometimes you can get over an hour of seat time. I'll also be renting out the track to test my xr after I get the cage in it next month. It's the most fun you can have in a car without going pro.
2005 RX8
1986 XR4TI
1996 F350
1997 Impreza coupe

John Lambert
worked_xr
Level 7
Level 7

Post by worked_xr »

Goumba wrote:Hey Wyatt, your in luck. Have you ever heard of Tampa rally? The guy that I sometimes work for runs tsd and rallycross events here in the Tampa bay area. There's nothing planned until the weather cools down a little, but there should be a rallycross at east bay raceway in the not too distant future. It's located just south of Tampa in the small town of gibsonton. It's a laid back crowd and you should get no less than eight two minute runs. Sometimes you can get over an hour of seat time. I'll also be renting out the track to test my xr after I get the cage in it next month. It's the most fun you can have in a car without going pro.
That sounds wicked! I know East Bay Raceway having attended the occasional midget race, etc. there 15+ years ago. Prior to moving to Seattle 10 years ago I lived in Brandon, Valrico, Riverview and Tampa for 10 years. My parents and brother still live in Riverview, so I'd even have a local place to ditch nearby. SWEET! Definitely keep me posted and send me some links.

We really should meet up at some point. I'd love to see the progress you make on the car. I got very spoiled in Seattle being so close to so many rally, drift, and auto-x enthusiasts. I met some folks in Sarasota but so far they're either all about newer tint-n-rims kinda cars (S2000, 350z, etc.), live-my-life-a-quartermile-at-a-time, or big cash status-machines. Cars are cool, but driving is cooler.
John V
Level 7
Level 7

Post by John V »

[quote="Goumba"]Hey Wyatt, your in luck. Have you ever heard of Tampa rally? The guy that I sometimes work for runs tsd and rallycross events here in the Tampa bay area. /quote]

What's his name?
John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle WA USA
CALL =-> (206) 431-9696 <-= CALL

http://www.rallyrace.net/jvab/
Goumba

Post by Goumba »

His name is Jeff. My car is at his shop right off I4 at exit 3. I'm going to be at the shop 2-5 days a week. Both of my fords live there full time for now. I work on costomer cars first, but there hasn't been a lot of work lately. All I'm doing right now is removing rust. I think I'm going to start my build thread soon. There isn't anything special to see yet. I'll be sure to let you know when I do some real fabrication.
2005 RX8
1986 XR4TI
1996 F350
1997 Impreza coupe

John Lambert
Goumba

Post by Goumba »

I should be starting the roll cage on my xr in about three or four weeks. If there's anyone in the area that wants to check it out, let me know.
2005 RX8
1986 XR4TI
1996 F350
1997 Impreza coupe

John Lambert
worked_xr
Level 7
Level 7

Post by worked_xr »

I'd probably like to stop by and check it out at some point. I'll eventually be looking to cage my XR I think, so seeing yet another cage install would be good.
Goumba

Post by Goumba »

My cage is going to be a simple one. I'm going to build it to the minimum requirements of NASA's requirements. I'm not going to do too much to my current xr4ti. I want to buy a better chassis to do any sort of real racing. Lemons has really light rules on what can pass inspection.
2005 RX8
1986 XR4TI
1996 F350
1997 Impreza coupe

John Lambert
gt8088

Post by gt8088 »

Hey i live in Dunedin fl and I am working on my murk 88. do either of you still have your XR?
Turbo = Boost =Adrenaline
Turbo Fords RULE
89 XR4Ti Daliy Driver, 88 XR4Ti Project
worked_xr
Level 7
Level 7

Post by worked_xr »

I've definitely still got mine and don't have any plans or reason to get rid of it... ever.