2014 turbo ford 4 cylinder nationals

Discussion of events in the Mid-West, inclusive of the Rocky Mountain area
Merkur Club web site
mrswift

2014 turbo ford 4 cylinder nationals

Post by mrswift »

Hi, I'm kinda new on here but I'm on the TurboFord forum. I'm mrswift on that forum. Anyway, we have been holding a 4 cylinder Ford turbo national event for the last 2 years. The first year it was at Gateway Motorsports Park in Madison IL. It was a blast to see 15 running 2.3-powered turbo Fords together at the same time. The second year (2013 August 31st), we held it in conjunction with the Fun Ford Weekend at Bristol Dragway in Bristol TN, and we had 13 cars show up from all over the country. I'm from Tulsa Oklahoma, chriss AKA Just Add Boost came from west TX. There were some cars from Pennsylvania and South Carolina and Stinger (Shannon) came out to watch and help out. Matt Culpepper brought Project Bolt On and ran it, Dale TR6 came from Ohio, and Steve came from Michigan. Dennis AKA denz, drove his Volvo headed notch from Michigan, Don Haulsee drove his Volvo headed 76 Capri and raced it also and drove it home. So we have a few varieties of cars, but so far no Merkurs have participated.

The 2013 race will be in the Midwest, Tulsa Oklahoma. It will be held with an All Ford Weekend type race. We are in the process of scheduling with Tulsa Raceway Park and eric AKA flyin on the Tulsa Raceway Park forum. I'm really looking forward to seeing some Merkurs show up. Last year's purse was real substantial. Esslinger donated 2 scripts for $1000 each for the winners for a head or block, and there was a lot of cash, I don't know exactly how much as I did not win. But we are working on the same type of deal for 2014. You can look up the official thread on the TurboFord forum in the 2014 4 cylinder national event thread. We would love to see all of you Midwest cars show up to race or watch. The more the better.

The format will be 2 classes, a Quick 8 for the fast cars, and a bracket race .500 tree for the bracket class. Any Ford 2.3 turbo powered vehicle with doors. No dragsters or Altered in the races. However, you are welcome to bring your 2.3 powered Ford 4 cyl dragster if you have one and make TNT passes. If you have any questions you can email me boosted87notch@gmail.com. My name is Tom.

There will be a bar b que Friday before the TNT at one of our local TurboFord member's house. You can camp at the track. There are bathrooms and there are some RV spots with electricity for a nominal fee, but they have to be booked in advance as we will be running with a larger event. We are working on the other classes for the big Fords. Tulsa Raceway Park is one of the best traction surfaces I've raced on, Mike Edwards and Rodger Brogden test here regularly.

So it would be awesome to see some Merkurs represented at the 2014 race. We will be starting a participants thread soon so you can go on and state your interest and questions if you have any. Thanks to me :cheers every year I make up participation stickers for the cars that show up. This is what they look like

2013 the fastest 2.3 turbo on the property went to Joe Laramee in his 77 pinto 2.3 powered turbo 9.42 @140 ish, nice car. Steve Brangwyn went a 9.40 pass also, so come on out and play.
Last edited by MarkM on Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Readability
mrswift

Re: 2014 turbo ford 4 cylinder nationals

Post by mrswift »