Denver area XR's?

Discussion of events in the Mid-West, inclusive of the Rocky Mountain area
Merkur Club web site
XR4Tim

Re: Denver area XR's?

Post by XR4Tim »

What's up with all the XR's popping up after I moved away from Colorado?
Tim Bevan - OEM Part Haus
'85 XR4Ti - '97 E36 BMW - '86 LS1 951 - '63 Midget - '09 MINI - '12 Outback - '99 Discovery II - '02 S2000
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

Tim,

Are you serious? I have/had contact or contact info for 12-16 individual owners(not including myself or my father) at one point before you moved to Denver. Not one is interested in doing anything with any of the rest of us from what i've gathered, and other owners that have been around for a long time haven't been heard from in at 4yrs.

One of these owners has a V-8 XR, and the others were a father son pair that raced at Bandimere almost every year with one or both cars.

Last years BBQ that I did had only myself, my dad, and Jacek. Bill forgot about it and had been working on a project all day long, and never heard from any of the other folks in the area if they coming or not.
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now daily driven project

DCLXVI
Shamshel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Shamshel »

I'm totally in for the BBQ, I want to meet as many of the XR people in the area. And its always good to have more brains to pick when something pops up for these cars. You guys can all text me anytime. I'm in the Denver/Stapleton area. Rich: 269-906-1205
Rich - Colorado
89 XR4ti - Mono Red, T5, Saab IC, All kinds of awesome!
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

Torch is yours this dude, I lost my job today, and will not be hosting this year. I can bring chips and my own barley pop :cheers
Johnny

DCLXVI
boost_is_fun
Level 1
Level 1

Post by boost_is_fun »

I can throw my name in this list now too, I won't be any help, I'm new to working on these cars, and I'm going to School in UT, but I live near castle rock. When I'm back home in april I would love to meet some of the other XR owners in the area.
Connor
'89 XR 254000 miles. Stock (until spring, then poor college student mods begin)
'99 Audi B5 A4 2.8 v6 (Technically my dad's, but he doesn't drive it)
Since I'm a Noob, i'll put an apology for dumb questions down here. I'm 19 and completely self-taught
euroford

Post by euroford »

well gosh... i figure i better poke my head back in. long story short, i had kind of swung another direction and was thinking about doing something other than an XR as my next project. I had actually been shopping for an e38 or e39 bimmer and LSx swap parts.

to make a long story short... a good friend and i worked on our xr's together. when i moved to chicago i sold/gave him all of my xr stuff. now in CO i was thinking about buying his xr, plus parts, plus all of my old xr stuff back from him. sadly, he recently passed away and after it all gets sorted out, his mother would like me to have it.

so... looks like he's managed to rope me into building an XR!

when i get the chassis back here to my shop, i'm going to tear it down to bare metal, stitch weld and do other chassis work, i just got off the phone with Gary in the UK about some cossie body parts and will paint it in white with black trim.

A: because sierra's look awesome in white
B: i'm going to use the same white as my F350 so i'll have a matching pair tow rig/car

i'm not sure about the drivetrain. it has a very nicely build 2.5L stroker motor and a D&D custom built t5 wc trans. but i might actually think about selling these parts and doing an LS swap anyways. its just such a great combo, and in all honesty i think it would be easier to get a 450hp ls swap through our etest system than it would this current motor.

i know the euroford community here in the front range is small, but glad ya'll are out there.
Tim M Hovey
1950 CJ3a
1999 F350 PSD 600+ HP mountain hauler
2002 Focus Sedan with SVT Engine
2008 Escape 4 banger
In the market for an XR proj
boost_is_fun
Level 1
Level 1

Post by boost_is_fun »

Just move out to Elbert County, no emissions testing, YAY!
Connor
'89 XR 254000 miles. Stock (until spring, then poor college student mods begin)
'99 Audi B5 A4 2.8 v6 (Technically my dad's, but he doesn't drive it)
Since I'm a Noob, i'll put an apology for dumb questions down here. I'm 19 and completely self-taught
Choochoochoo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Choochoochoo »

Just bought an 85 with 79000 miles on the clock, one owner, and looking forward to having some fun the car! I'm in El Paso county, CO Springs, no emissions testing, and no visual either.. :D
2000 Dodge Durango 5.9 (gone, and missed)
2008 Mercedes Benz R320CDI
1985 Merkur XR4Ti
Choochoochoo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Choochoochoo »

Just a quick question.... Any of you Denver area guys interested in a borla exhaust, the one rapido offers, if I were to remove it? I'm thinking about replacing it with a straight 3" single.. But if nobody is interested in it I'll just modify what I've got..
1985 Merkur XR4Ti
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

Choochoochoo wrote:Just a quick question.... Any of you Denver area guys interested in a borla exhaust, the one rapido offers, if I were to remove it? I'm thinking about replacing it with a straight 3" single.. But if nobody is interested in it I'll just modify what I've got..

Take a trade? my straight 3" fer your Borla? Mine is 3" from dp to tail, with 3" cat.
Johnny

DCLXVI
Choochoochoo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Choochoochoo »

To my knowledge I have a 3" dp, stock cat, and then the borla after that... That's what I was told when I bought the car about a month ago.. I'll have to get under there and check sometime soon.... But, I'm open to a trade.
1985 Merkur XR4Ti
Ghost
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Ghost »

Crap, how did I miss this thread? Life's been busy for the last few years and now I can't work on the car due to an injury. I'm in Broomfield with a highly modified 85 XR, my GF is a second owner of an 89 XR4 (RedHotXR on here). Would love to hang out with fellow Merkur nuts :)

Jacek
'85 XR4Ti: Stuck in "Project Forever" SC LS swap hell...
Image Image
"All cruelty springs from weakness" - Seneca
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

Yeah we gotta do something soon.

Jacek, I haven't done much to my car lately due to previous back injury flaring up, and life has decided to give me a rather large monkey wrench for my birthday. I don't know how time I'll get to work on the car, so I've put her up for sale. Hoepfully I get her finished first and keep her.
Johnny

DCLXVI
Ghost
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Ghost »

I hear ya... I just went through a major surgery a couple of weeks ago and should have some limited use of my right hand in 6-7 months. For now poor Ashley is going through a crash course in vehicle maintenance. If you still have your car by then I'd be happy to come up and help as much as possible.
'85 XR4Ti: Stuck in "Project Forever" SC LS swap hell...
Image Image
"All cruelty springs from weakness" - Seneca
Choochoochoo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Choochoochoo »

I've always enjoyed hanging out with like minded people. i haven't come across anyone yet in my battalion that even knows what my car is.. Every time I say it's a Merkur, they just look at me funny and ask who makes it... Kinda like the people behind the counters at parts stores... Anyway, get s time and a place and I'll do my best to be there..
1985 Merkur XR4Ti